Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Considering EDO Career

Author Topic: Considering EDO Career  (Read 14431 times)

SSBN_SeaWolf

Considering EDO Career
« on: Jun 05, 2009, 07:38 »
Could someone please describe the career of an EDO.
What is the difference between Conventional EDO and EDO(N), can one become EDO(N) after doing their conventional SWO tour, even if they were not SWO(N).
Do EDO / EDO(N) rotate for sea duty / shore duty?
Do EDO's have a choice of geographic location?
Do EDO's spend much time at sea? (I'm currently single, so I would really like to travel, this may not be under consideration 7-8-9 years down the road, when its time to settle down)
What is the general work given to an EDO, I understand its like is shipyards, construction.....But If someone can provide details / experiences it would really be helpful.
I also understand that EDO / EDO(N) must attend NPS or MIT for a graduate degree, if you choose to attend, does it extend the obligation.
I think shore duty is probably one of the best aspects of the job, especially because if one wants to get out, it makes their transition easier and at the very least, keeps them fresh and interested in work.
Does EDO / EDO(N) offer bonuses?
What are some of the career options within the Navy for an EDO / EDO(N)?

Thanks in advance.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: Considering EDO Career
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2009, 09:18 »
No bonus for EDO(N)...you give up having to go to sea, you give up the bonus.
The only sea time you will see is as a rider (guest) during sea trials or testing related to something you've been working on.  Usually short duration stuff...a couple of days....at least this is the case with the Shipyard EDOs I work with, it may be different for the folks working at a carrier yard.
EDO in the field (shipyard) has very little to do with engineering...its more project managment.  Yes, you might get to use your engineering skills to solve a problem, but for the most part, there's already someone who knows what is wrong and how to fix it.  That means you get to manage the people part of fixing it.
As with all service connected jobs, geographic location is dependent upon what you do.  For instance, you aren't going to do any carrier work at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard because there are no carriers there.  BRAC has also limited your duty locations to a few major places on the east and west coasts, Hawaii, and Japan.  But again, there is always work in Washington, DC with the HQ folks.
As for your other questions, there a few folks on here much more qualified than I that can answer.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2009, 08:15 »
No bonus for EDO(N)...you give up having to go to sea, you give up the bonus.
The only sea time you will see is as a rider (guest) during sea trials or testing related to something you've been working on.  Usually short duration stuff...a couple of days....at least this is the case with the Shipyard EDOs I work with, it may be different for the folks working at a carrier yard.
EDO in the field (shipyard) has very little to do with engineering...its more project managment.  Yes, you might get to use your engineering skills to solve a problem, but for the most part, there's already someone who knows what is wrong and how to fix it.  That means you get to manage the people part of fixing it.
As with all service connected jobs, geographic location is dependent upon what you do.  For instance, you aren't going to do any carrier work at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard because there are no carriers there.  BRAC has also limited your duty locations to a few major places on the east and west coasts, Hawaii, and Japan.  But again, there is always work in Washington, DC with the HQ folks.
As for your other questions, there a few folks on here much more qualified than I that can answer.

EDO(N) are selected from SWO(N) and as such they are operational nukes and do rate the bonus.  You will get a masters degree at MIT or Navy Post-Grad School, and then do a qualification tour in a nuclear coded shipyard.  You will then go back to sea on a CVN as a Principal assistant.

YOU HAVE TO BE A SWO(N) BEFORE YOU CAN BE AN EDO(N).

Cheers,
GC

Click this link for more info....

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,15051.0.html
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2009, 08:17 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2009, 06:48 »

Offline trollarc

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2009, 10:22 »
Yes and no on the SWos becoming EDO. Alot of them are. However, some are not. We had a rider who was going to be an EDO who was a nuke officer dropout (I don't know how thats works). If you like the area you will work in it is an amazing oppurtunity! The pay is good, you work kinda long hours, you are responsible for many things. However, you never go to sea for your whole career, and you can buy a house and put 15 years of BAH into it if you like. I think that it is worth it.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2009, 06:51 »
Yes and no on the SWos becoming EDO. Alot of them are. However, some are not. We had a rider who was going to be an EDO who was a nuke officer dropout (I don't know how thats works). If you like the area you will work in it is an amazing oppurtunity! The pay is good, you work kinda long hours, you are responsible for many things. However, you never go to sea for your whole career, and you can buy a house and put 15 years of BAH into it if you like. I think that it is worth it.

True, but....
In the current environment, if an EDO has a desire to make CDR, an IA tour is almost a requirement.  An outbrief by a member of last year's CDR selection board made very clear that the warfighters are the ones who will get the promotions.  In other words, deployment=promotion.  Without an IA tour, you'll be retiring as an O-4.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2009, 10:33 »

You do not know what you are talking about.  Just like everyone else in the navy (well, almost everyone else) most ED's move about every three years.  The shipyard guys move from yard to yard.  The program guys may do back to back tours in DC, but will not "homestead" there like you suggest they will able to do.  There are special groups in the ED community as well....if you can get into one of those areas then you have a better chance of homesteading....but, that is the exception rather then the rule.

Also, EDs go on IA.  We have specific ED coded billets that only EDs can fill.  We also fill several CEC IA billets as well.  All EDs will go on an IA, except for NR EDOs. 

If anyone has any specific ED questions, PM me and I will answer them as I get the chance. 

If you want to know the real specifics of any ED career path, I can put you in touch with good people who will be happy to mentor and advise you.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline trollarc

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2009, 05:02 »
Okay i dont know what i am talking about because i was told by he guy who rode with us. He said he had to spend a stint in MIT but he said that he was pretty much attached to the shipyard. Now if he convinced me wrong I am wrong. But then either he was told something wrong or wanted to lie so everyone was jealous of him. I do not know why he would care what anybody onboard thought, because he will never be on my ship again.

red1323

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2009, 12:06 »
EDO(N) are selected from SWO(N) and as such they are operational nukes and do rate the bonus.  You will get a masters degree at MIT or Navy Post-Grad School, and then do a qualification tour in a nuclear coded shipyard.  You will then go back to sea on a CVN as a Principal assistant.

YOU HAVE TO BE A SWO(N) BEFORE YOU CAN BE AN EDO(N).

Cheers,
GC

Click this link for more info....

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,15051.0.html

OK, so just to make sure I have this straight: after completing my initial commitment requirements I can try for EDO(N) which pays the nuke bonus, sends me to MIT (or NPS) for a degree, and lets me skip a conventional DH tour but still do a PA tour?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2009, 08:39 »
EDO(N)'s do rate the bonus.  See my previous posts concerning this or send me a PM for more details.  You can go to MIT.....

You will do a PA ride.

Cheers,
GC

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?