Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke enlistment to officer

Author Topic: Nuke enlistment to officer  (Read 5350 times)

NOLA_NUKE

Nuke enlistment to officer
« on: Jun 08, 2009, 01:13 »
Hey Guys!

First of all this is a great site!  I've spent the past week on here trying to absorb as much information as possible before I make my decision.  A little background about me and my question.  I'm 23 and i just graduated college with a BA is psychology and a BA in communications with a 3.01 gpa.  I was first looking at the Public Affairs Officers community when I came across the Nuclear Program.  Since that time I've decided that if i join the Navy this is what I want to do.

I know i don't have a technical degree so would my package  even be considered or competitive for NUPOC?

I've been looking at going enlisted into the pipeline and I see after Nuclear Power School I can go into some type of commissioning program.  Would that be STA-21, NUPOC, OCS....?  And would I qualify of be disqualified for already having a degree.  I know I disqualified from STA-21 since I already have my bachelors. So i guess my question is would I be a better Nuc Officer candidate if I go enlisted first, get some technical schooling, and then submit my paperwork.......and what exactly would I be applying to with my situation.  My enlistment recruiter has not been able to answer this question and has in fact backed away from talking about anything related to commissioning.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

SSBN_SeaWolf

Re: Nuke enlistment to officer
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2009, 01:47 »
Hi,
As you already know, you are not eligible for STA-21 as it is only for enlisted sailors who want to go back to college. OCS is another commissioning source for the Navy besides USNA and NROTC. You can qualify for commissioning as an officer, when you apply and get accepted to OCS. AS you want to be a Nuke officer, they prefer someone with a science/engineering degree. Anyone else is still welcome as long as they have completed calculus and calculus-based physics sequence. You need both of them to even apply for the program (Calculus I II III and Physics I II).
I personally would not recommend going enlisted, since you already have a college degree. If you are not in such a rush, finish those courses, it will take you about a year and a half on a normal semester cycle to be eligible to apply. If this is the way you want to go and be an NTO (Nuclear Trained Officer), you can start by completing the course sequence.
If you have taken these classes in highscool, it may be a bit easier for you or might be able to get CLEP credits by taking exams.
www.navynupoc.blogspot.com has good information you may want to look into. Thanks.

Good luck to you.
SSBN_Seawolf

Khak-Hater

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2009, 04:14 »
Dude,

You have two wonderful opportunities before you to serve your country through the Navy: 

A)  enlist as a nuke and get some great training and experience to a very cool career path;  OR
B)  seek a commission as a non-nuke officer and serve as such. 

There really is NO "and/or" in this case.  I know that it sounds like it would make sense that the Navy would appreciate you getting some deckplate level experience as a blueshirt and then make you an officer, but it really doesn't work that way.  Sure, there's a possibility that you could get picked up as a non-nuke officer after several years as a nuke, but then that time being a nuke is kind of wasted.  My advice is to pick one or the other and go for it [never look back], but don't plan on the mystical transition that you've proposed [it could happen, but it's the exception, not the rule].  As I've pointed out earlier, I had one MM2 working for me on the E who had good evals, qualified senior in rate, and had a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering and tried [unsuccessfully] to get picked up for OCS three years straight. 

Like I said, pick one and go for it, but, if you pick nuke enlisted, don't delude yourself into thinking that you'll be anything more than just another sweaty blue shirt nuke like the kid straight out of high school right next to you.  Your degree will help you in the long run, but, should you enlist, the Navy won't care about it.

Either choice is a winner, as long as you understand that the chances of you "having your cake and eating it too" are very slim.  You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.

Good luck,

mgm

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2009, 04:19 »
  You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.

I'm filing that one in the cool quote locker ;)
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2009, 04:29 »
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.

Now wait a minute... of course he is a beautiful and unique snowflake... but so are the other 6,700,000,000 people on the planet... so it gains him nothing.

Come to think of it, after looking at your avatar I may have to make that 6,699,999,999 other people.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 04:30 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NOLA_NUKE

« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2009, 08:24 »

...if you pick nuke enlisted, don't delude yourself into thinking that you'll be anything more than just another sweaty blue shirt nuke like the kid straight out of high school right next to you.  Your degree will help you in the long run, but, should you enlist, the Navy won't care about it.

Thanks for giving it to me straight.  I want to serve my country but it seems if I go in enlisted than I'm wasting my education and the last 4 years of my life.  What i keep hearing from friends and family is if I can't go in as an officer than I shouldn't do it.  I might take your advice SEAWOLF and go back and take the courses I need to be more competitive.  To be honest however, it seems the initial benefits are better on the enlisted side (bonuses, nuc school=college credits).  The recruiters make it seem like it's common and easy to picked up for commissioning if you have the credentials.  Is this not true?  Anyone here go in as enlisted and seeks commission after nuc power school or prototype? 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 08:26 by NOLA_NUKE »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2009, 09:14 »
I enlisted with a 4 year degree, and I don't feel like I wasted 4 years of my life (BS Physics).

Justin
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 10:07 by JustinHEMI »

SSBN_SeaWolf

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2009, 09:42 »
Nola_Nuke
Your determination to serve this country is commendable. I think it would be in your best interest to utilize your degree as a Nuke Officer, once you finish the coursework and be accepted in NUPOC. Even through OCS / SWO-EDO career is very rewarding as well. You should want to become a Nuke officer for the love of the country, not for monetary reasons, as enticing as it may be. Be aware that Nuke School does NOT automatically mean college credits, some school may give you credits, but none of the reputable school will do that, keep that in mind. But there are other ways to get your Masters degree while serving as a Nuke. It is difficult to be an Officer from Enlisted, given that you have excellent credentials, but not unheard of.
I can imagine the questions you might have, as I am applying for commission through NUPOC as well.
Please PM me if you have anymore questions, I will be glad to answer them. Thanks.

SSBN_SeaWolf

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2009, 12:21 »
Please PM me if you have anymore questions, I will be glad to answer them. Thanks.

SSBN_SeaWolf

Seeing as how you aren't even IN the pipeline yet, much less active duty, wouldn't it make more sense to have the poster contact your recruiter???

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2009, 06:57 »
Hey Guys!

First of all this is a great site!  I've spent the past week on here trying to absorb as much information as possible before I make my decision.  A little background about me and my question.  I'm 23 and i just graduated college with a BA is psychology and a BA in communications with a 3.01 gpa.  I was first looking at the Public Affairs Officers community when I came across the Nuclear Program.  Since that time I've decided that if i join the Navy this is what I want to do.

I know i don't have a technical degree so would my package  even be considered or competitive for NUPOC?

I've been looking at going enlisted into the pipeline and I see after Nuclear Power School I can go into some type of commissioning program.  Would that be STA-21, NUPOC, OCS....?  And would I qualify of be disqualified for already having a degree.  I know I disqualified from STA-21 since I already have my bachelors. So i guess my question is would I be a better Nuc Officer candidate if I go enlisted first, get some technical schooling, and then submit my paperwork.......and what exactly would I be applying to with my situation.  My enlistment recruiter has not been able to answer this question and has in fact backed away from talking about anything related to commissioning.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

Why do you want to be a nuke officer?

There is a huge divergence of responsibilities between PAO and nuke officer.

If you have not taken Calculus I, Calculus II, and two semesters of Calculus-based Physics, you are NOT a candidate.  If you did take those classes already, did you get A's or B's in them? 

BTW....I am an officer who was enlisted first.  It can be done. 

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2009, 12:11 »
I can speak about what I saw in 1980, my only contact with a person of your ilk. First the land story before...

I was waiting for class-up (8102) as a Learning Section Adviser Assistant in the BE/E for the Underwater Warfare School. I had just come from ET "A" in GLAKES.  I handed out and proctored quizzes and tests for Torpedoman Mates, mostly; but, there were others.  Others of you that were classing up  and waiting your time as grounds keepers--I'm sorry.

Anyhow, one day I had an Ensign come through, asking for a test. I naturally thought he was taking the course as a familiarization because he was to be the new division officer. NOPE!

He was waiting for orders as a NUC drop. His major was in Political Science. He put in an average of 52 hours per week after school and weekends to try to make it through. I asked him how he got into the program with that kind of degree.  The reason can be summed up in one word--gumption. In those days, Rickover prized gumption.

During his interview with Rickover, he was asked why he should be given an opportunity to take away an opening that someone more qualified could fill. The ensign's answer, "If you're school can teach it, I can learn it." Of course, he was immediately thrown out of Rickover's office for such insolence--and given a shot.

He admitted to me that he was just not academically equipped to handle the rigors of the curriculum.  The upside was that his effort and tenacity was recognized. It also seemed to inspire others (with the academic prerequisites) to do more.  He was "on hold" and put to doing "something productive" while they could hand pick his next assignment better suited for his strengths.

Perhaps this may help you to make a decision that best suits your particular skills. The old saying goes: No balls, no blue chips. Unfortunately, many have fallen short of blue chips and end up with blue balls, too, from all the kicking.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 12:14 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NOLA_NUKE

« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2009, 12:29 »
Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I took into account what some of you had to say and decided not to follow through with the Nuke program.  I feel I can best serve my country as a PAO, where I am most qualified.  Good luck to all of you!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Jun 11, 2009, 12:48 »
Thanks for updating us and feel free to stop by anytime!

Justin

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2009, 12:16 »
Looks like that Ensign helped someone else, again...
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?