Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NR Engineer Specific Info

Author Topic: NR Engineer Specific Info  (Read 7319 times)

joshberg41

NR Engineer Specific Info
« on: Jun 13, 2009, 09:44 »
I am currently in the process of submitting my application for the Naval Reactors program, and am waiting on MEPS for now.  I recently did a practice interview with some recruiters and I have mixed feelings about it. 

First, I understand the these are recruiters and not the actual interviewers but the technical questions asked were significantly easier than I had prepared for: Phys 1 & 2, Calc 1 & 2 type questions.  The recruiter told me that about 90% of questions asked will probably come from those topics, with random questions thrown in on occasion.  This is in stark contrast to the NUPOC study guide which has a large range of topics and then I have repeatedly heard "anything on your transcript is fair game."  Frankly that statement scares me because I have very little time to study right now and I have a lot of classes on my transcript that I havent reviewed since I finished the courses, 2 to 4 years ago.  So should I waste much time and energy on reviewing topics like quantum mechanics, semiconductor physics and electromagnetic wave propagation?  Most of the descriptions of interviews I have heard seem to only recall calc and physics questions with one ODE and pretty basic chemistry example.

Second, one of the recruiters informed me that NR has "quotas" essentially, in terms of specific majors.  My major is Applied Physics and I was told that physics and chemistry are degrees in low demand and high application rate, basically that it wouldnt surprise him to find out that NR had already filled its quota of physics majors for 2009 and I wouldnt be invited to interview until October, despite having a very competitive application.

Third, I have been unable to find good information regarding how specific details of NR Engineers job relates to officer duties.  Ive read about the "engineer" duties, that its quite similar to a civilian position, that you dont even wear a uniform to work, etc.; but I am wondering what roll being a Naval Officer plays in the duties day-to-day.  I mean, you ARE an officer in the United States NAVY.

I know there are several experienced recruiters in this forum that could help with the "quotas" question, but is there anyone who went through the interview process looking to enter as NR engineer?  I have heard dozens of times that NR is most selective and the interview process will be the most difficult, but I think everyone that I've asked, or have read their description of the interview process went through going subs and a few surface.  If "Naval Reactors will ask you whatever they want" is as specific as anyone can be, I suppose that I will just have to plan accordingly, but if I cant interview until October, study time is somewhat of a moot point anyway...

Fermi2

Re: NR Engineer Specific Info
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2009, 09:53 »
Did ya try the Search Function?

joshberg41

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2009, 09:58 »
Yes and I found its results much better and to be more user friendly than the one on usnavyocs.com.

Questions still remain though.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2009, 12:59 »
 Junior officers at NR are a dime a dozen.  As an NR engineer, you won't feel very much like an officer in the US Navy.  As you stated, you wear tie to work (a polo shirt if you won't be interfacing with the contractor or fleet).  You'll still have to do the navy things like participate in the physical readiness test and get fitreps and mid-term counseling, etc.  But you won't be leading people.  You'll have your little slice of pie that you are responsible for knowing everything about, and be expected to be looking for other slices of pie.
  You can't study for the interviews, so don't bother trying.  They're asking questions to see how you think more than anything else.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

co60slr

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2009, 07:53 »
If you want to know more about what you're getting in to, I recommend doing some reading on the background/history of NR/NNPP.  Search on "ADM Rickover" to find some good books on Amazon.  I'd ask why you're so "gun ho" for working at NR when you seemingly know so little.  (You'll be in the Navy, but NR is actually a joint DOE/DON Program).  There are plenty of nuclear engineering jobs available...in the Navy, DOE, and Commercial.  Right now is a GREAT time to be an engineer looking for work.  Why limit yourself to one of the highest areas for cost of living?  Cast a wide net and have fun with the nuclear job search.  You can also get more information on nuclear engineering job descriptions via the federal government job database.

Quotas?  Everyone has billets to fill in the Navy, and Corporate world.  Some are looking for a very specific skill set (for example a Professional Engineering license).  If you do very well during your interviews, NR (or anyone for that matter) will likely find a job for you somewhere. 

The interviews are technical, but the questions are designed to throw you off balance and be forced to answer under stressful conditions.  (Welcome to Nuclear Power).  You can't study but you can mentally prep yourself.

What you wear to work is irrelevant and what uniform you wear has absolutely nothing to do with being an officer (anywhere you go).  The people that wear their rank on the coller but are technically challenged are normally limited by promotion boards and can't lose their Ego when they go to leave the Navy.  Don't watch "Top Gun" or "NCIS" and then bring those misconceptions into the Nuclear Navy Program.  Also, the work at NR is highly unique and the officers don't follow the normal "sea/shore" rotation that most "regular" officers will do.  In fact, officers and civilians work side-by-side...all wearing civilian clothes doing the same job.  If you compare Commercial Nuclear Corporate jobs to NR jobs, the NR job combines corporate leadership, INPO, and NRC regulatory oversight into one role. 

While I disagree with NukeLDO diminishing the NR role in that NR Engineers are "a dime a dozen" and that "you're not leading people", any "staff duty" on any ADM Staff (SUBPAC, AIRPAC, etc) is very unique and highly challenging.   However, being an Ensign is the same anywhere...you have to learn the ropes, get qualified, and figure out what your job really is before you're effective.  (Usually by the 5 year point when you flow to LT/O-3).  You may lead a small group of engineers at NR (eventually), but you also provide technical oversight for field personnel within your area of oversight.   I would say that the same holds true whereever you may end up in that you start as an entry-level engineering, prove yourself, gain more responsibility, and then get promoted "up the ladder". 

Good luck.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2009, 08:53 »
To be specific, I did not say NR engineers are a dime a dozen....I said Junior Officers are a dime a dozen.

Co60 is correct.  After learning the ropes, and being an NR engineer for about 5 years, you may get the opportunity to lead a group of engineers within a section of NR.  And as stated, it is ADM staff duty...expect to get called on by the 4 star to answer questions during staff meetings....certainly unique, and requires some quick thinking.

As far as providing technical assistance to those of us in the field, you'll get calls related to the specific component (slice of the pie) you are responsible for.  As I said, you'll be expected to know everything about that particular thing...how its built, how it operates, and some of how it interfaces with the rest of the plant.  The guys in the field will be training you on the "Big Flick" while you are training/assisting them with a particular technical issue. 
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

joshberg41

« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2009, 10:49 »
Thank you both, I appreciate all information I can find.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2009, 08:34 »
Now you have to admit,.....that was a pretty classy come back,... ;)

Yep. Based on a very small, non-random sampling, 50% of Nukeworker posters exhibit at least some class when posting.  ::)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline juggalonic

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2009, 09:26 »
First, I understand the these are recruiters and not the actual interviewers but the technical questions asked were significantly easier than I had prepared for: Phys 1 & 2, Calc 1 & 2 type questions.

The majority of NUPOC Applicants that the Recruiters are preparing are only eligible/interested in Fleet Jobs, so this is not bad advise for those positions.  The large majority of the pass/fail questions are the ones found in the Math and Physics sections of the study guide.  Interviewing for Engineer is a different animal.  It is a "harder" interview and you automatically start with 3, versus the 2 Fleet and Instructor Applicants start with.  More than likely one of the Engineers you sit across from will be in the division that has the opening, so they are evaluating you on your personality along with your demonstrated thought process.  There is no such thing as being overly prepared for this interview so I recommend studying as much as possible (don't lose sleep of it though), but when and if you are invited to the interview it is Naval Reactors telling you that you have what it takes, then you just prove it in person.  Your interviewers are not there to trick you and see how dumb you are, they want you, at least on paper.

Second, one of the recruiters informed me that NR has "quotas" essentially, in terms of specific majors.  My major is Applied Physics and I was told that physics and chemistry are degrees in low demand and high application rate, basically that it wouldnt surprise him to find out that NR had already filled its quota of physics majors for 2009 and I wouldnt be invited to interview until October, despite having a very competitive application.

Correct.  This year the only majors being accepted are Mechanical and Electrical Engineers (and always Nuclear Engineers).  The are very specific job openings, so if there is no vacancy for a chemistry major or applied physics major then the invitation to interview is never made.  Also, the competitive GPA is 3.8 and higher.  How big/well known your school is, at least by NR, also factors in.

Third, I have been unable to find good information regarding how specific details of NR Engineers job relates to officer duties.  Ive read about the "engineer" duties, that its quite similar to a civilian position, that you dont even wear a uniform to work, etc.; but I am wondering what roll being a Naval Officer plays in the duties day-to-day.  I mean, you ARE an officer in the United States NAVY.

There is no role of "Naval Officer" in the NR Engineer job.  Your uniforms will hang in your closet collecting dust, but that is part of the unique role of the officers at NR.  If you have a goal of being an Officer and getting the leadership experience that is normally associated with that then you want a Fleet (warfighting) position.  Sitting in a cubicle, even when "leading" other cubicle dwellers, only develops management skills, which are different than leadership, at least in my opinion.

If you want to know more about the NR job itself (day to day stuff) you can check out the navy.com/nuclear webpage.  Another source of information is to ask your Recruiter to get you in contact with a NR Engineer (they can do it through one of the Nuclear Program Officers at Region).

Offline juggalonic

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2009, 09:30 »
Almost forgot...

If you want to apply for NR Eng you can, no matter what your Recruiter or anyone else thinks.  If you don't apply you will never know if you are competitive/eligible for the job.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?