Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Current Status of Nuclear jobs?

Author Topic: Current Status of Nuclear jobs?  (Read 3839 times)

bored_teen

Current Status of Nuclear jobs?
« on: Jun 14, 2009, 04:56 »
When my dad told me about the Navy's nuclear power program, I was interested, and started doing some research. The posts on this board have been very informative for the most part, but I find myself wondering with increasing frequency what the opportunities for ex-Nukes are.

My current plan is such: attend Annapolis (if accepted), go into the Nuke Pipeline, get out as soon as possible, live it up in the commercial sector. But now I'm wondering if I should go back to school after finishing in the Navy for education pertaining to more cutting-edge technologies.

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions? Jeez, how many more synonyms can I use?

Also, what other high-tech opportunities are available in the Navy? I read it somewhere, I believe it was BeerCourt that said that reactors are 1950's technology. That's kinda what started my second glance.
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2009, 05:00 by bored_teen »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Current Status of Nuclear jobs?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2009, 05:52 »
   No matter what you want to do, Annapolis is very good start to anything. Military service has benefits beyond just nuclear power, most of my shipmates entered fields other than nuclear on the strength of their Navy time. If you have read through these forums you may gather that those who have gone through the Navy's nuclear program wonder what they got themselves into at some point in their term, but are for the most part glad they did it. If you complete the Navy program and are accepted for a position at a commercial plant you will find yourself starting over no matter what your Navy quals but most utilities use ex Navy people as a source of people who can complete their qualification programs with a high success rate.
   As for other opportunities available I suggest you talk to a recruiter early and not commit until you have a clear view of opportunities and how they fit your future plans.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2009, 06:32 »
But now I'm wondering if I should go back to school after finishing in the Navy for education pertaining to more cutting-edge technologies.

The thermal neutron has kept me VERY well fed for 20+ years, don't knock it!  ;)

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2009, 10:07 »
The thermal neutron has kept me VERY well fed for 20+ years, don't knock it!  ;)

It may be tasty and filling, but the thermal neutron lacks essential vitamins and minerals.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2009, 07:12 »
It may be tasty and filling, but the thermal neutron lacks essential vitamins and minerals.

Because the neutrinos carry them away.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?