Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Engineering entry routes

Author Topic: Engineering entry routes  (Read 4560 times)

nukeman79

Engineering entry routes
« on: Jun 30, 2009, 02:32 »
Hi all

First time poster, wanted to give my thanks to the host for the great website.

Anyway, I am a career changer( have a finance bacholers worked 5 years as an analyst) currently enrolled in a mechanical engineering degree program. I have a strong interest in nuclear engineering but I would prefer to hold off on grad school to specialize in order to make some money and gain experieence.

What are some entriy points for engineers? what are some typcial career paths for nuclear engineers from my brief scanning of other post it seems a lot of the positions discussed have a different slant. Any advice or help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Nukeman

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Engineering entry routes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2009, 02:47 »
My first suggestion is to read some of the posts by 'thenukeman' and decide if you want to run the risk of being confused for him or if you want to change your username.

There are lots of degreed engineers in Nuclear Plants. Search job boards (start here on the Nukeworker job board.) Look at plants that are having regulatory trouble... they often hire lots of people to fix things. Consider companies like Westinghouse, Areva, Bechtel, Siemens and other support companies. The opportunities are there.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

nukeman79

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2009, 10:57 »
I read the job boards.... but I know there is only so much that can be learned from a blurb. As a persons job title or duties can differ drastically to actual day to day stuff.

I am looking for broad areas of focus and opinions on those areas so I can get another source of info.

I like the idea of consulting since one would get a lot of experieince in a hurry but there seems to be many more plant oriented stuff and I wanted to no pros and cons.

I like the opportunities in nuclear but as a career changer I want to really make sure I like my job as this is my last chance to get it right.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2009, 01:18 »
One suggestion is to see if the school you are at has a student section of the American Nuclear Society (if it doesn't, I believe you can still sign up as a student).  The ANS Nuclear News magazine has a good variety of articles on things happening all across the nuclear industry.  Students can also get discounted registration for the ANS conferences (the November conference typically has a large trade show, with lots of companies recruiting at it).

Recognize that in general, most of the engineers at a nuclear plant are NOT nuclear engineers.  As you are probably aware, a very large amount of engineering fundamentals are common to most disciplines of engineering (heat transfer, thermodynamics, statics, dynamics, etc.).

Entry level engineers are usually hired at all engineering departments at the plant, plus related departments like operations, so you're options at a plant are pretty broad.  At a plant you can see people who have bounced all over the place (systems engineering, design engineering, ops, work control) and others who have spent their entire career doing the same thing.  Similar choices exist if you go with a vendor like Westinghouse or Areva (field engineer supporting work at a site, design work at their headquarters, etc).   Both Areva and Westinghouse have US utility customers who seem very determined to stat building a new plant in the next few years. 

Regardless of where you start out, the odds are you'll be working for a big company, so that usually translates into lots of choices.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2009, 01:51 »
San Onofre has an excellent program where new engineers rotate periods in design eng., maint. eng., fuels, PRA., construction.  They try you on, you try them.

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2009, 03:52 »
See if there is a Young Generation in Nuclear chapter near you. Also ANS as mentioned above.

I'm an engineer ap Palo Verde we have an awesome program for new engineers as well. Check outlistings at APS.com

nukeman79

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2009, 09:17 »
Thanks for the replies

I already am a member of AMSE and just recently joined ANS as a student member as well. I am in their mentor program so I am hoping that will drum up some info.

To NukeNTO and MeterSwangin can you give a couple comments on your expereinces thus far in nuke related engineering.

Thanks in advance

Offline a_fan

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2009, 10:02 »
Do yourself a favor and stay Mechanical. You don't need to be a Nuke Eng to work at a nuke plant. As a ME, you'll have many more opportunities.

SSBN640Blue

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2009, 06:41 »
OK Heavy,  Here is some of the low down on working nukes.

Most utilities farm out the actual design to AE firms, so if you want to do design work, you should go with an AE like Betchel, Shaw, Sargent and Lundy, etc.  There are many others.

Can't speak much to working in-house, but I wouldn't want too, especially for Exelon.  The Board of Directors and CEO of Exelon are profit orientated for their stockholders and since they get paid from stock, they are for themselves.  Mandatory 45 hour weeks and will stick it to anyone in the organization to help them make their bonus.

Your pay will be well above non-nuke engineers, but you'll also be putting in lots of hours too.  Seems not matter what project you are on, you will always be behind schedule and over budget, but it all magically works out.

However, if you are someone who likes challenges, this is the place to be.  There is always something new everyday.

As for this being your last career change, always keep the door open for new opportunities.

Happy hunting.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?