Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How can you switch from enlisted to officer program?

Author Topic: How can you switch from enlisted to officer program?  (Read 7742 times)

LaviniaSkies

Is that even possible in the Navy?

I've been on these boards before and I am curious...

My husband has a math degree and originally applied for Officer program (Nuke) but was turned down because of his Master's program grades, and went in enlisted instead...
Now, many have told me that he should be an officer but I was wondering how you go about doing that from the Nuclear program?
For one, he does not have an engineering degree so he couldn't be a Nuke officer, correct?
Thus, how could you switch to another field if you will be Nuke trained?
Also, what would you recommend he do if he applies for officer school?
(He made 99 on ASVAB, degree in Math, will be in Nuke program soon...)
I don't want him to settle because he thinks he needs to do what's 'best for me', and I know he wants to be an officer...thus, any advice would help...

Edit: He is almost done with Basic Training (enlisted) and will head to A-School in about two weeks.
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2009, 09:52 by LaviniaSkies »

Fermi2

Re: How can you switch from enlisted to officer program?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2009, 08:37 »
One of the best officers I ever worked for had an English Degree.

Mike

jsmcmurrayjr

« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2009, 05:58 »
I'm in the final stages of applying to the Nuclear Program.

First word of advice: Find an officer (not enlisted) recruiter.

An engineering Degree isn't required.  All that's officially required is an undergraduate degree (technical or otherwise, mine's in Computer Science), a year (2 semesters) of Physics, a year (2 semesters) of Calculus, and a 3.0 (maybe 2.5?) GPA.

The forums at http://usnavyocs.com and the blog at http://navynupoc.blogspot.com are very helpful.  Applying to be a Nuke Officer is a bit different than other applications.  Talk to your local Nuclear Officer recruiter.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2009, 07:06 »
He is already enlisted in the Navy.

Justin

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2009, 11:53 »
I am no expert on Officer matters.  But if I recall correctly (IIRC) he would need a Science/Eng degree.  I don't believe that a math degree would do.

My class leader in NPS had a math degree and got picked up OCS as a Nuke Officer out of Prototype.

I don't know if things have changed since then (It was about 1.5 years ago) but it is certainly worth it for the OP's hubby to give it a shot.

jsmcmurrayjr

« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2009, 01:20 »
He is already enlisted in the Navy.

Justin

Right.  I retract the emphasis on finding an Officer vs. Enlisted recruiter. 

Either way, no technical degree is necessary.  Good luck to your husband in becoming an officer.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?