Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Potential Navy Nuke with some reservations...  

Author Topic: Potential Navy Nuke with some reservations...  (Read 28190 times)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Potential Navy Nuke with some reservations...
« Reply #25 on: Jul 30, 2009, 07:52 »
Yeah, but your issue keeps you from moving near a playground...

that's just wrong......  0.49 -K to you (rounds to zero, this time)  ::)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #26 on: Jul 30, 2009, 10:11 »
hmmmmmmmmmmm,.....

when I joined up they were purging the Zumwalt era from the Navy at large,...

the more things change, the more they seem the same,....

thing was I really liked the utility working uniform and ballcap from the Zumwalt revolution,....

I was never a big fan of the dungarees, the "dixie cup" or the crackerjacks,...

Yeah, ditto that.  I loved the utilities that didn't wear out, the black stormtrooper cap that you could wear more than once without having to throw it away, the rainproof combination hat, the coat and tie dress blues...
All of it got replaced by the play clothes that came back and I had to pay for on my $4/month uniform allowance.  At least they issued the crackerjacks so I wouldn't have to buy them.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #27 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:16 »
What a difference months or even weeks can make;

I was in 8102 and missed out on getting the 'jacks issued, I had to buy them. It's difficult to remember the details, I believe the regulations may have accommodated me skating through to EAOS wearing the initial issue of whites, blues and salt & peppers. Conversely, my first submarine command made the 'jacks mandatory for first day liberty or some such nonsense when we were in foreign ports. IIRC, they gave us one visit to Subic so we could get them tailored on the cheap, or we could buy them through the Navy Exchange/Uniform Store. But, Good Humor Man or Sailor Jack and Bingo I was never a fan of the dress whites, you can't go commando in dress whites. Seems I always had enough t-shirts, it was the boxers that tended to came up "short". It's been a couple of decades, and I've tended to bury the more mundane vagaries of Navy service into a foggy remembrance that immature BS just goes with the job. You can roll with it or roll out.

I, too, was in 8102...section 8--no pun intended, just the middle-of-the-road ET. Anyhow, the Crackerjacks became mandatory in '83 or '84 (I think). I cannot remember either, I had no pain in getting them because my mom wanted to see me in the 'jacks when I came home on weekends from NPS (I was from Fort Lauderdale), so she bought me a pair, which was the only way I was going to get them. I have to admit, though, the uniform was worth its weight in free beers when I hit the bars at home. I must say that uniform is very distinctive.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009, 12:18 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?