NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NPUA honeypot

Author Topic: NPUA  (Read 387936 times)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
Re: NPUA
« Reply #400 on: Sep 12, 2010, 04:40 »
Frank, I gotta ask this.... did you ever think that perhaps everyone did vote their conscience. Just because some voted against the NPUA does not mean that they didn't vote the way they actually wanted.

We are a world made up of many and not all of us believe in the same thing, I know its hard for some to accept that but that's the truth and nothing but.

I am convinced that no matter what Frank posts, he'll catch a hard time. I think his point was a valid one about voting your conscience. Working as a tech on the road leaves few choices for employers, openly supporting this union movement can be an anxious position to be in when your trying to make a living or raise a family. I can see where someone might not vote the way they really feel for fear of losing income. Why don't we give him a break and let the good news just be good news?.

Thanks for the update Frank, AWESOME news!
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #401 on: Sep 12, 2010, 06:58 »
Congrats NPUA

Now comes the hard part.... an actual contract.
The certification by the NLRB now gives NPUA the right to bargain. Not the right to get everything they want. I hope that they get a fair contract. Remember that wages are but a part of it. Work rules (overtime, seniority, call ins, shift schedule, duties and responsibilities) are usually the majority of the verbiage in a good contract.

Good luck
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010, 06:59 by HouseDad »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #402 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:39 »
I am convinced that no matter what Frank posts, he'll catch a hard time. I think his point was a valid one about voting your conscience. Working as a tech on the road leaves few choices for employers, openly supporting this union movement can be an anxious position to be in when your trying to make a living or raise a family. I can see where someone might not vote the way they really feel for fear of losing income. Why don't we give him a break and let the good news just be good news?.

Thanks for the update Frank, AWESOME news!

Brett, you have it wrong. The Crystal River vote was nearly 3 weeks ago and Frank has already put out his congrats on the vote. I had no problem with that post or him repeating his congrats. I have a problem with him taking pot shots at those who did not vote for the NPUA.

In my opinion when he makes a statement such as he did he should not be shocked to see so negative feedback. and BTW pressure can come from any side and negative remarks such as these can cause fear or anxiety in a person as well.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #403 on: Sep 13, 2010, 07:10 »
NPUA certified by the NLRB

congrats to all that participated in the effort at crystal river, especially those that had the courage to vote their conscience. it is time for a positive change. now starts what may be the tougher part of getting big blue to negotiate openly and fairly. once again congratulations:):)

I believe that even the ones that voted no, most probably voted their conscience. I believe that if you agree to a certain amount of pay and benefits, then you should be willing to work for that amount untill that particular job is over and it is time to negotiate for your next job. So if I had been there, and even though I wanted the NPUA to represent me, I still could not have voted yes.  I guess for the NPUA's sake its a good thing I haven't been working at a site that they have been trying to win a vote at. It is just my opinion and doesn't really mean anything to anyone but me. I was taught by my Dad that all a man has is his word, and you are only as good as your word. For this reason if I say I will do something then I will do it. And if I say I will work a job for set amounts then I will work it for those amounts and negotiate for more next time around.

But what I don't understand is why accuse "Big Blue" as you call them, of not wanting to negotiate openly and fairly. I doubt if Bartlett minds paying more and having better benefits as long as it doesn't decrease their profit margin. What everyone needs to keep in mind is this; The contract  is already bid on and awarded and they will have to go to the Utility and ask for more money and if the Utility says no then Bartlett can't increase anything until the contract is bid on again. Then it is a good possibility that some other contractor will step in and under bid them and win the contract. Then the NPUA will have to start all over again with the new company.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #404 on: Sep 13, 2010, 07:36 »
So...  If Bartlett Nuclear was forced to negotiate with a union, at the higher union rates... What company could negotiate a lower rate directly with the utilities?  Bartlett Services?  Bartlett Support Services?  El Camino?  Bartlett De Mexico?  Atlantic Group?  Lancaster Services? EnergySolutions?   Denuke? ReNuke? i3? VAS? URS? Entercon? Marcom? SEC? Cabrera?

There is no shortage of companies out there willing to take a contract from Bartlett when they are forced to bid at a higher union rate.  Many of them would even hire out the staffing and payroll back to Bartlett.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #405 on: Sep 13, 2010, 09:05 »
Thats a good question. I bet there would be companies starting up just to under bid them. Scary times are before us I'm afraid.

Offline nukems

• Light User
« Reply #406 on: Sep 13, 2010, 11:39 »
We have been certified by the National Labor Relations Board as the representative for the Bartlett employees working at the Crystal River nuclear plant. We will be contacting Bartlett management on Monday, September 13th to initiate negotiations. Thanks to all of those that stood up and voted. Thanks goes out to those who helped organize and handed out the Authorization Cards.

It's been one step at a time. We have been at this for almost three years now. Many people, especially those on other websites, have not given us any credit in our effort. They've continued to take what we have accomplished and tried, and I say tried, to find fault with our effort. This has been a clear sign of those people trying to slow down our momentum. What was it some of them said? "The NPUA was on life support" and "can't beat a dead horse". What will they be saying now?

Maybe Kool Mow Dee can say it best...."How Ya Like Me Now?"

I wish everyone a healthy and prosperous 2010
Kevin McLaughlin
President NPUA

Offline nukems

• Light User
« Reply #407 on: Sep 13, 2010, 11:40 »
THIS GREAT NEWS!!!! WE ALL NEED TO GET ON THE BAND WAGON. ALL JR. SR. TECHS, DECONNERS AND ALARA IF YOU HAVE NOT JOINED THE UNION PLEASE DO SO. ALL OF YOU THAT WILL BE WORKING FOR ATLANTIC THIS FALL; WE ARE HAVING A UNION VOTE AT THE PLANTS. ANYONE WHO HAS WORKED THREE OUTAGES IN THE LAST TWO YEARS WILL BE ABLE TO VOTE. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE NOT WORKING FOR ATLANTIC THIS FALL YOU CAN STILL VOTE. WE ARE HAVING A NATIONAL MAILING TO YOUR HOME OF RECORD ON FILE WITH NPUA. WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR BALLOT VOTE YES AND SEND THEM BACK AT ONCE. IF YOU HAVE NOT SIGNED A UNION CARD OR A CARD ASKING FOR UNION REPRESENTION PLEASE DO SO.WE NEED YOUR ADDRESS TO SEND THE BALLOT. YOU CAN FIND BOTH CARDS ON THE NPUA SITE.

CRYSTAL RIVER IS JUST THE START. LET'S ALL GET OUT THERE AND VOTE!! AND GET YOUR FELLOW TECHS, DECONERS, AND ALARA TO DO THE SAME.
WITH HARD WORK AND DETERMINATION WE CAN ACHIEVE THE GOAL OF BE COMING A UNION WORK FORCE AND ACHIEVE HIGHER WAGES WITH BENIFITS. IT WOULD BE NICE TO BE ABLE TO RETIRE SOME DAY.
THANK YOU KEVIN FOR ALL YOUR HARD W

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2010, 02:35 by nukems »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #408 on: Sep 13, 2010, 11:54 »
THIS GREAT NEWS!!!! WE ALL NEED TO GET ON THE BAND WAGON. ALL JR. SR. TECHS, DECONNERS AND ALARA IF YOU HAVE NOT JOINED THE UNION PLEASE DO SO. ALL OF YOU THAT WILL BE WORKING FOR ATLANTIC THIS FALL; WE ARE HAVING A UNION VOTE AT THE PLANTS. ANYONE WHO HAS WORKED THREE OUTAGES IN THE LAST TWO YEARS WILL BE ABLE TO VOTE. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE NOT WORKING FOR ATLANTIC THIS FALL YOU CAN STILL VOTE. WE ARE HAVING A NATIONAL MAILING TO YOUR HOME OF RECORD ON FILE WITH NPUA. WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR BALLOT VOTE YES AND SEND THEM BACK AT ONCE. IF YOU HAVE NOT SIGNED A UNION CARD OR A CARD ASKING FOR UNION REPRESENTION PLEASE DO SO.WE NEED YOUR ADDRESS TO SEND THE BALLOT. YOU CAN FIND BOTH CARDS ON THE NPUA SITE.

CRYSTAL RIVER IS JUST THE START. LET'S ALL GET OUT THERE AND VOTE!! AND GET YOUR FELLOW TECHS, DECONERS, AND ALARA TO THE SAME.
WITH HARD WORK AND DETERMINATION WE CAN ACHIEVE THE GOAL OF BE COMING A UNION WORK FORCE AND ACHIEVE HIGHER WAGES WITH BENIFITS. IT WOULD BE NICE TO BE ABLE TO RETIRE SOME DAY.
THANK YOU KEVIN FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK.

WALLY HENDRIES
NPUA

Nukeworker rule #8...  [RTFM]
8. DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, IT IS THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF SHOUTING AT PEOPLE.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4700.0.html

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #409 on: Sep 13, 2010, 11:56 »
I think it was intentional.  I know the nukeworker member.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010, 11:57 by techtoolong »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #410 on: Sep 13, 2010, 12:28 »
Maybe no shortage of companies, but will there be a shortage of techs WILLING to work for those companies?  That is the important part.  Keep steering torwards the best deal (NPUA), and there won't be many techs working for those other companies, hopefully.  Spread the word so people know what is what.  I feel like my best bet as a contractor is the NPUA.  When and if I start working outages again, I will give them priority as long as they have a job for me.  Yes Bartlett has to go by the contract they signed, but if they would have thought to organize people to begin with, they may not have had to sign those contracts in the first place....Not saying Bartlett is evil, but Bartlett cares about Bartlett, and it seems to be a short-sighted view.  If we have the opportunity as technicians to impact our own bottom line, let's do it.  Because Bartlett cares about their own bottom line first and foremost.  Of course they do!  Just the way the world works.  If we want to take care of us, we are going to have to do it ourselves.

I don't feel like people are asking for an unfair rate of pay and bennies, if they were the utility might have more incentive to find another way to staff outages.  But I feel we deserve what the NPUA is asking for.  Hopefully I am correct.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #411 on: Sep 13, 2010, 01:57 »
We have been certified by the National Labor Relations Board as the representative for the Bartlett employees working at the Crystal River nuclear plant. We will be contacting Bartlett management on Monday, September 13th to initiate negotiations. Thanks to all of those that stood up and voted.

Kevin McLaughlin
President NPUA

Are you even thanking the ones that voted no

Maybe no shortage of companies, but will there be a shortage of techs WILLING to work for those companies?  That is the important part.  Keep steering torwards the best deal (NPUA), and there won't be many techs working for those other companies, hopefully.  Spread the word so people know what is what.  I feel like my best bet as a contractor is the NPUA.  When and if I start working outages again, I will give them priority as long as they have a job for me.  Yes Bartlett has to go by the contract they signed, but if they would have thought to organize people to begin with, they may not have had to sign those contracts in the first place....Not saying Bartlett is evil, but Bartlett cares about Bartlett, and it seems to be a short-sighted view.  If we have the opportunity as technicians to impact our own bottom line, let's do it.  Because Bartlett cares about their own bottom line first and foremost.  Of course they do!  Just the way the world works.  If we want to take care of us, we are going to have to do it ourselves.

I don't feel like people are asking for an unfair rate of pay and bennies, if they were the utility might have more incentive to find another way to staff outages.  But I feel we deserve what the NPUA is asking for.  Hopefully I am correct.

I doubt if there will be a shortage of techs because most techs have bills to pay and toys to buy, so if another company steps in and takes the contract at the lower rates then the people will still go there and work. Crystal River has never had any trouble staffing in the past and probably won't in the future. As far as Bartlett looking out for themselves first, that should come as no surprise to anyone. I have been working for Bartlett for close to twenty years,except when I was working at SRS, and they have taken pretty good care of me and my family. Maybe I haven't made millions, but then again maybe I have, either way I have always been paid what we decided on and  therefore I can't complain about it. I agree that we can impact our own bottom line but what I am saying is that let's just be careful because we don't want our bottom line to be smaller than it already is.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #412 on: Sep 13, 2010, 03:34 »
I was under the impression we have a shortage of techs right now.  Not sure about this, but have seen some of the harder to staff outages not able to fill techs in the 26/hr range, one was 30 techs short according to management in 2008.  One of the hardest plants to get into was 6 techs short last outage.  I have had conversations with 3 subcontract companies at SRS and they beg me to supply them with names to fill spaces here because they are given 12 spots and can only fill 5.  40 house positions were offered at SRS with SRR and they could not fill them all after months of searching.  Talked to Eberline last year and they complained of not enough people to fill spots at Hanford; seems chronic in nature to me, they post on THE OTHER WEBSITE at leas once a week.  I guess it is all a matter of opinion, but to me there is evidence of at least a moderate chronic shortage of 3.1 ANSI RP techs starting about 5 years ago and slowly getting worse.

I am also worried about pricing myself out of the market but 22/85 is WAY too low in my opinion.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #413 on: Sep 13, 2010, 03:40 »
I am also worried about pricing myself out of the market but 22/85 is WAY too low in my opinion.

Especially with all the DOE sites happily paying $30-$38.

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #414 on: Sep 13, 2010, 05:53 »
I am working at a Nuclear plant on a 9 month assignment.  House decon gets $25/hr,  Union laborer from the hall $28 and 3.1 Sr for 20 years gets $27.  The example of the current process of he who bids the lowest wins.  Fully qualified in house Sr.$44/hr.  How does the management think their guys are worth so much and we are worth so little.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #415 on: Sep 13, 2010, 09:31 »
I am working at a Nuclear plant on a 9 month assignment.  House decon gets $25/hr,  Union laborer from the hall $28 and 3.1 Sr for 20 years gets $27.  The example of the current process of he who bids the lowest wins.  Fully qualified in house Sr.$44/hr.  How does the management think their guys are worth so much and we are worth so little.

Try not to be offended.  The market for road RPs is $27-34 per hour these days.

Not a reflection of your worth, or of low regard the plant might seem to have for your services.  Just simple economics at work.  Demand is dwindling, supply is no real problem.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #416 on: Sep 13, 2010, 09:41 »

Training
Responsibility
Plant knowledge
Procedure compliance

8)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #417 on: Sep 13, 2010, 11:04 »
Demand is dwindling, supply is no real problem.

I dissagree.

23-25 outages this fall, and  (drum roll please) 45 outages next spring.

BAM!

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #418 on: Sep 14, 2010, 08:20 »
the answer to your question is no Camella. i don't think that working (on the road) techs always vote their conscience. its hard for someone in a permanent position to understand the pressure the contract companies can put on workers when their jobs only last 45 days perhaps and then they have to go back to those same few companies for their next job. why else would someone ask for the unions help (IE sign an authorization card) and then when it came time to vote, not vote in the affirmative...IE what happened at vogtle farley and hatch a while back. do you really believe that the contract companies don't exert influence/pressure over their employees?

I would say the opposite is true. many workers will fill out a authorization card mainly due to influence brought on by coworkers and union reps. When the actual vote comes up and they can vote their conscience without anyone looking over their shoulder, they do so.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010, 08:22 by Smart People »
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline nukems

• Light User
« Reply #419 on: Sep 14, 2010, 08:42 »
WE ALL NEED TO GET ON THE BAND WAGON. ALL JR. SR. TECHS, DECONNERS AND ALARA IF YOU HAVE NOT JOINED THE UNION PLEASE DO SO. ALL OF YOU THAT WILL BE WORKING FOR ATLANTIC THIS FALL; WE ARE HAVING A UNION VOTE AT THE PLANTS. ANYONE WHO HAS WORKED THREE OUTAGES IN THE LAST TWO YEARS WILL BE ABLE TO VOTE. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE NOT WORKING FOR ATLANTIC THIS FALL YOU CAN STILL VOTE. WE ARE HAVING A NATIONAL MAILING TO YOUR HOME OF RECORD ON FILE WITH NPUA. WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR BALLOT VOTE YES AND SEND THEM BACK AT ONCE. IF YOU HAVE NOT SIGNED A UNION CARD OR A CARD ASKING FOR UNION REPRESENTION PLEASE DO SO.WE NEED YOUR ADDRESS TO SEND THE BALLOT. YOU CAN FIND BOTH CARDS ON THE NPUA SITE.

CRYSTAL RIVER IS JUST THE START. LET'S ALL GET OUT THERE AND VOTE!! AND GET YOUR FELLOW TECHS, DECONERS, AND ALARA TO THE SAME.
THANK YOU KEVIN FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK.
SIGN CARDS AND VOTE !!!!!!!!  I KNOW I AM SHOUTING !!!!!

WALLY HENDRIES
NPUA
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010, 08:44 by nukems »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #420 on: Sep 14, 2010, 09:03 »
 I KNOW I AM SHOUTING !!!!!

WALLY HENDRIES
NPUA

-K Please don't it's against forum rules and very rude.  -K

[DH]
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010, 09:06 by Marlin »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #421 on: Sep 14, 2010, 09:15 »
Wally... put... the ... all caps megaphone... down!!
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #422 on: Sep 14, 2010, 10:49 »
I KNOW I AM SHOUTING !!!!!

WALLY HENDRIES
NPUA

I would be more open to listening to someone that first wasn't shouting, and second, at least made an effort to follow the simple rules. If you can't follow these forum rules what other rules do you not care about? Just not the type of person I want representing me!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #423 on: Sep 14, 2010, 11:16 »
the answer to your question is no Camella. i don't think that working (on the road) techs always vote their conscience. its hard for someone in a permanent position to understand the pressure the contract companies can put on workers when their jobs only last 45 days perhaps and then they have to go back to those same few companies for their next job. why else would someone ask for the unions help (IE sign an authorization card) and then when it came time to vote, not vote in the affirmative...IE what happened at vogtle farley and hatch a while back. do you really believe that the contract companies don't exert influence/pressure over their employees?

Frank; did you ever stop and think that perhaps the often rude, overbearing and bordering on bulling behavior by major NPUA players had anything to do with some changing their minds?

Funny story... my daughter was getting married and I went to a local florist who I had always used. Her workers were beyond rude and well being a strong minded woman I took my business elsewhere even though I thought her designs were the best.... because as I told my motherinlaw "it's my money and my husband works hard for it".

In other words some people can be put off by the least little thing and we do have the ability to change our minds. In my humble opinion every time you or others bring up the fact that some voted against you or changed their minds you are bulling them, plain and simple.

Get over it and look to the future  :)

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #424 on: Sep 14, 2010, 11:35 »
Should of asked your husband what he thought about the florist, since it was his money you were spending, also.  I know you other guys were thinking the same thing,  but were scared to tell the truth.   I wonder why no woman will ever marry me?
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010, 05:28 by biloxoi blues »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?