Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ASVAB score stuck in transit!!  

Author Topic: ASVAB score stuck in transit!!  (Read 3599 times)

seanfaber

ASVAB score stuck in transit!!
« on: Jul 28, 2009, 09:35 »
I took the asvab last fall in Raleigh, NC, and scored a 99. I have since moved up to Michigan and have waited 28 days for my test scores to be transferred from the MEPS in Raleigh to the MEPS here in Troy.  I have yet to take my physical, and am playing the waiting game until my test scores are up here. In the meantime, thought I'd get to know some likeminded people who don't mind if I pick their brains! 
I'm off to go scour the forum and see what I'm getting myself into.  Any words of advice would be appreciated, and I look forward to hearing from you all!

Sean

JustinHEMI05

Re: ASVAB score stuck in transit!!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2009, 11:24 »
I took the asvab last fall in Raleigh, NC, and scored a 99. I have since moved up to Michigan and have waited 28 days for my test scores to be transferred from the MEPS in Raleigh to the MEPS here in Troy.  I have yet to take my physical, and am playing the waiting game until my test scores are up here. In the meantime, thought I'd get to know some likeminded people who don't mind if I pick their brains!  
I'm off to go scour the forum and see what I'm getting myself into.  Any words of advice would be appreciated, and I look forward to hearing from you all!

Sean

Don't take the mail buoy watch and don't say "whoopty f**kin doo" to someone that walks in and says "I am from the field office."

Justin
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2009, 11:28 by JustinHEMI »

Offline stephpatton

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2009, 11:27 »
Well, I guess what you want to hear is "good job" on the score and ""that is sooo horrible that the Navy is taking such a long time getting the paperwork transferred." 

Be careful what you post:) unless you don't mind the sarcastic jab in the ego.  Don't take it personal.  Think of it as constructive.  Get used to it.

You'll learn alot from reading the previous posts.  Most of our (referring to those of us who are, ahem cough, nukes in waiting) questions have answers, personal experiences, and opinions to go along with them. 

As for the waiting game, I see 6-12 months of it for you before you go to RTC.  But miracles do happen.  I've had 3 ship dates in 6 weeks, each one sooner the previous.  I went to MEPS in June, and I leave Aug. 2nd! Good luck to you.  Learn what you are getting into.  And a piece of advice that pertains to everyone getting into a new field:  When you walk into a new career, especially without any training, you have to put your previous notions of yourself into perspective with those who are teaching you. 
To you, you are a very smart, intelligent being that is excited about learning something new, and you know you are special that you have been chosen out of sooo many others.  You may have graduated top of your class.  You may have won many awards.  You may have a degree in physics or math.  To your instructor, preceptor, and all those who have been through the training already, you are a fresh-faced baby nuke without any training or hands on experience.  You cannot yet be trusted to so much as turn a valve without eagle eyes watching you, regardless of your mathematical capabilities.  You can sometimes be irritating, especially when it would just be easier and quicker if they did it themselves.  They have to get information into your skull, ALOT of information, and then trust you with it.  It doesn't matter how smart you "were", you have to start all over again and earn your experience.  I used to teach techs and nurses the hands on part of my current job.  After training was done, and they checked off on everything, I had to trust that they wouldn't kill or maim someone and I had to know how they reacted under stress.  It isn't easier being the teacher.  I know dialysis and Nuclear propulsion are two completely different things, but it is so much easier when the student understands the instructor's perspective.  Always keep that in mind, and your training will go much smoother.

That was too long.  Sorry.  I can't help but give words of encouragement and momma bear advice. 

If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back, set them on fire. -George Carlin

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2009, 11:30 »
Oh, he wanted advice about his waiting game? I thought he just wanted advice in general.

I guess I fail.  8)

Justin

Offline stephpatton

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2009, 11:40 »
Oh, he wanted advice about his waiting game? I thought he just wanted advice in general.

I guess I fail.  8)

Justin

This is 2009, you should know by now "There is no such thing as failure.  You are too special for that."
If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back, set them on fire. -George Carlin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?