Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Marriage and Nuke School  

Author Topic: Marriage and Nuke School  (Read 8419 times)

navywv09

Marriage and Nuke School
« on: Aug 02, 2009, 01:05 »
My fiancé and I have a few questions about getting married during Nuke School. We understand that Nuke school is no walk in the park. We also feel we understand the challenges and sacrifices that are needed to be successful in nuke school and in marriage.
Is it possible to get married during the transition phase between boot camp graduation to A school? My fiancé recently graduated boot camp with a month till A school.
Is it possible to get married during A school?
How much notice is needed to apply for married housing?

Thank You for your responses!

Fermi2

Re: Marriage and Nuke School
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2009, 01:09 »
You can get married anytime you want.
So far as housing. When I was in you had to actually be married and listed as a dependent to get on the housing list.

soonerfan

« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2009, 09:36 »
If you want to do a civil ceremony it's hardly an issue.

However, if you want to have a ceremony and a reception back home with all your friends and family, that's tougher to accomplish.

Basically, the Navy wants all of our sailors to request to get married. I know that sounds silly, but there's good reason for it. Mainly, it's so we can tell them what to expect out of their time at A-School, Power School, and Prototype.

Once he lets his chain of command know and they talk to him about it, they'll say yes. But if you guys want to get married in some location that's more than a weekend's trip away (and take a honeymoon thereafter), he'll have to get a leave request in along with his marriage request. Granting sailor's leave during A-School is tricky, but it has been done in the past. He may just get held up until the next month's class-up date.

If you can get everything set up before his current class-up date, it should be a non-issue.

Once you actually are married, it's easy to get into married housing. Well, the last I heard it was. Once again, have him talk to his Chief or Leading Petty Officer, and they'll get him the facts.

Hope this helps. Post any other questions you have or e-mail me directly.

-Jim
EM1(SS), Currently an instructor at prototype in Ballston Spa, NY

navywv09

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2009, 09:05 »
Thank you Jim! Your post is helpful and gave us hope.

soonerfan

« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2009, 09:15 »
You're welcome!

His chain of command should be able to get you info on anything else you have questions about, but if you think they aren't, send me a PM.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2009, 10:47 »
Thank you for helping her and giving her the current information. I believe one valuable service this site serves is helping out young Navy wives and Navy wives to be.

Mike

aj779

« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2009, 12:09 »
It's really hard to plan anything or do anything while your significant other is going through the training pipeline, however, this is what I recommend, personally. It might be completely NOT what you want, which is understandable.

I recommend taking a weekend to go somewhere nice and elope. Plan ahead and bring the money and documents you'll need along with a witness. My husband and I did this right after he finished Power School, and it was really amazing. There's something romantic about having it be all about you and totally stress free.

This way, we had a little time to get health insurance set up, get my military ID, etc. These are VERY helpful if you plan to live in Charleston with him. You will need an ID to get on base and use any facilities like the Commissary. It is also wonderful to finally be "legal" in the eyes of the Navy for a whole host of reasons.

Then, we planned a larger 'wedding' when we knew he was going to have leave further off and had the real deal. It was also amazing, but there's something very different (it might be the stress involved with throwing what is basically a party for 200) about a wedding from a private, small elopement.

But that way, we got the best of both worlds without worrying if he could actually get leave to make it to his own wedding.

proud dad

« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2009, 10:05 »
 This site is also mighty handy for the moms and dads.
 Thank you NukeWorker members.
   Alan
Thank you for helping her and giving her the current information. I believe one valuable service this site serves is helping out young Navy wives and Navy wives to be.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?