Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Program: Pipiline? Pay? Outcomes? Important!!

Author Topic: Nuke Program: Pipiline? Pay? Outcomes? Important!!  (Read 4440 times)

chumarkrch

I'm senior EE (3.5 GPA) at FSU. I've spoken with some high up people within the nuke program who have said that I will most likely get in so that's not an issue. There are a couple of things I need to know so I can better consider the NUPOC option.

1) Compared to how hard my peers will be working in the real world after they graduate from college is it worth the money and the experience?

2) My plan includes me attending an MBA program after several years of working. I was led to believe that the nuke program is looked upon very highly by ivy league business schools. Is this true? Is it safe to say that if completed successfully with good previous academic standing that it could be a ticket to an ivy league MBA?

3) What's the wost part? Be brutally honest and just tell me how much it really sucks.

4) My end goal is to work within the Venture Capital industry with alternative energies. Do many people come out of the program within 6 years and achieve success within a field other than nuclear energy? Is the demanding nature of the program and leadership skills learned enough to merit it success in almost any industry?

5) Is anybody meeting any women while they're in the program? From 22 - 27 is a time when most people meet their future wives/husbands. Should I pretty much forget women while I'm in the Navy? (Might seem vain but then again I'm coming from FSU) 

6) The military is a very command oriented. Does that mess you're thinking style up in the long run? After following rote directions for so long does one loss their sense of self and creativity?

Sorry it is a lot of questions. I ordered them in importance to make it easier. Please provide as much details in your answers as you can and don't use or explain any abbreviations. Thank you to all who answer. It's pretty important - six year commitments are a scary thing!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Nuke Program: Pipiline? Pay? Outcomes? Important!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2009, 06:22 »
4) My end goal is to work within the Venture Capital industry with alternative energies. Do many people come out of the program within 6 years and achieve success within a field other than nuclear energy?

Out of all the nukes I've met/known/encountered/read posts from... I know exactly one that went into "alternative energy". Seems to be doing well at it, I reckon.

Otherwise, your mileage may vary...

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2009, 05:47 »

5) Is anybody meeting any women while they're in the program? From 22 - 27 is a time when most people meet their future wives/husbands. Should I pretty much forget women while I'm in the Navy? (Might seem vain but then again I'm coming from FSU) 

Dude,

You were at FSU and did not meet your future wife/husband?  If that is the case I wouldn't worry about meeting one in the NAV........
Is it time for coffee yet?

IPREGEN

« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2009, 10:56 »
Why don't ask the people you know that are pretty high up in the nuke program?

chumarkrch

« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2009, 01:58 »
I'm just looking for some answers.

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2009, 05:38 »
1) Compared to how hard my peers will be working in the real world after they graduate from college is it worth the money and the experience?

You will be working harder for less pay.  If you are a 3.5 GPA you should be looking into going straight to a utility after school.  Even in this economy, if you are good enough plants will hire you.  I spent 6 as an enlisted sailor with no college.  if i had gone to school it would have been a completely different story and I would have retired by now.

2) My plan includes me attending an MBA program after several years of working. I was led to believe that the nuke program is looked upon very highly by ivy league business schools. Is this true? Is it safe to say that if completed successfully with good previous academic standing that it could be a ticket to an ivy league MBA?

Ivy league business schools will let you in if you have the cash and the grades.  They don't typically offer scholorships (they don't have to).  If your grades are good enough now, why wait?  We just had an STA leave to go to MED school.  Worked a few years, saved his money, and went back.

3) What's the wost part? Be brutally honest and just tell me how much it really sucks.

The ocean is really big.  Ships deploy on the ocean.  You don't see land.  People want to sink your ship, on the ocean, where the chances of finding a good looking girl (mentioned in #5 are pretty much nil.)

4) My end goal is to work within the Venture Capital industry with alternative energies. Do many people come out of the program within 6 years and achieve success within a field other than nuclear energy? Is the demanding nature of the program and leadership skills learned enough to merit it success in almost any industry?

Good grief, why not hire out to an alternative energy company from the start?  Do you have some fascination with the Navy?  Granted, if you are an unfocused individual and not really sure about your path, the military can turn that around.  But the answer to #3 still applies.

Answered in a previous post.

6) The military is a very command oriented. Does that mess you're thinking style up in the long run? After following rote directions for so long does one loss their sense of self and creativity?

Some of the best people come out of the Navy and some of the worst.  Just like college.....
Sorry it is a lot of questions. I ordered them in importance to make it easier. Please provide as much details in your answers as you can and don't use or explain any abbreviations. Thank you to all who answer. It's pretty important - six year commitments are a scary thing!
Is it time for coffee yet?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2009, 09:19 »

If you don't even know why or if you (want/desire/flirt with the idea/need to) join the Navy, why should you be given an officer's commission?!?

btw... there are already lots of companies doing the "alternative energy" thing..after spending several years in the Navy, you might find that field pretty much all fished out...

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2009, 01:37 »
Why don't ask the people you know that are pretty high up in the nuke program?

LOL, yes, the nuclear Illuminati....

« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2009, 01:37 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2009, 09:16 »
I'm senior EE (3.5 GPA) at FSU. I've spoken with some high up people within the nuke program who have said that I will most likely get in so that's not an issue. There are a couple of things I need to know so I can better consider the NUPOC option.

Do you really think you are going to get into an ivy league MBA program with only a 3.5 GPA from FSU? 

Ivy league schools will not care about your 5 years in the navy.

Cheers,
GC

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?