Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu nuke school questions...
honeypot

Author Topic: nuke school questions...  (Read 21992 times)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: nuke school questions...
« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2009, 01:22 »
And why are you at NNPTC?

DDmurrary,

I don't think he is at NNPTC, but was relaying an incident that he had while he was a lonely little nub.  If I had to guess he is either a six and outer, or less than six and out with some help from people above him saying he needed to go away for one reason or another. 

Alas, he is much like a lot of ex nukes that were so full of bitterness that they don't realize the benefits they received from the program.  While I have had my rants on this forum and have been very critical of some aspects of the NNPP, I fully realize that the program has given me opportunities that would not be found without the program and the ability to take on obstacles that would make most college bound students tremble in fear.  Thus I am proud that I succedded in the program, excelled when I was able to, and thus want to see the program continue its proven track record and hate to see its "good name" tarnished not only by the ilks such as Addy but some of the more recent trends that have occured in the training portion. 

Like NukeLDO said, sometimes it is just easier to bitch.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #26 on: Oct 01, 2009, 10:57 »
DDmurrary,

I don't think he is at NNPTC, but was relaying an incident that he had while he was a lonely little nub.  If I had to guess he is either a six and outer, or less than six and out with some help from people above him saying he needed to go away for one reason or another. 

Alas, he is much like a lot of ex nukes that were so full of bitterness that they don't realize the benefits they received from the program.  While I have had my rants on this forum and have been very critical of some aspects of the NNPP, I fully realize that the program has given me opportunities that would not be found without the program and the ability to take on obstacles that would make most college bound students tremble in fear.  Thus I am proud that I succedded in the program, excelled when I was able to, and thus want to see the program continue its proven track record and hate to see its "good name" tarnished not only by the ilks such as Addy but some of the more recent trends that have occured in the training portion. 

Like NukeLDO said, sometimes it is just easier to bitch.

You are probably correct, but it chaps me when 95% of nukes do the job, take the good with the bad, and move up or move out.   It bothers me that this vitriol gets read and seen as coming from a spokesman.  This reminds me of another "spokesman".  When I was a section advisor ar nuke school, I had a kid roll into my class who should have been de-nuked already, but had a medical problem so the command decided to give him a second (third) chance.  He was rolled back several weeks prior to where he had been rolled out and he became an immediate cancer to my section as well as a crappy student.  One night when I had the duty, he was on Ordered hours and I found him with his notes all closed, just sitting there shining his shoes.  I put him on report and by the time he went to mast, he had been late and shorted his IAO (Instructor Assistance Orders).  He was busted, denuked and sent to TPU.  Shortly after this, there was a navy-wide standdown because of Tailhook and all of NTC Orlando held the standdown.  In the next day's Orlando Sentinel was the headline (or words to the effect), "Boys will be boys".  Quoted in the story was NTC Orlando "spokesman" MMFA Soup Sandwich, who basically said there was nothing the navy could do about sexual harrassment.

DM
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #27 on: Oct 01, 2009, 11:09 »
Addy's post might explain some of what we see in the fleet today.  That's frustrating.
As the chief/instructor/LPO/mentor, you are being given the keys to the kingdom.  Don't like how you were treated as an xx3, well, you now have the opportunity to utlize your ideas and skills and make the next MM3 better, trained the way you wish you were trained.  Guess its just easier to bitch.
In my opinion, if you aren't willing to shoulder the responsibility to make it a little better every day for the folks working for you, then you give up the right to complain.  Moving up brings with it more responsibility and authority.  Use it, respect it, or get out of the way.
The world needs ditch diggers too.

Well said!
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

JsonD13

« Reply #28 on: Oct 02, 2009, 11:48 »
Opinion: The public school system hasn't been dumbed down (at least not to the lowest common denominator.) It's all the texting, facebook/twitter, and forum posting crap. It's the internet, and most people are in too big of a hurry to post without taking the time to try to form a somewhat grammatically correct statement. Proof reading is only for term papers now, haven't you heard. I know there are probably more than a few mistakes here, but at least I put in a little effort. Also, I think LOLcats may be a contributing factor.

As for Nuke school dumbing down, I don't know how it was when you went there, but yeah... most of the theories are dumbed down... unless the in depth explanations my college courses provide aren't as good as power schools, but somehow I doubt that. (I'd give you specific examples but the navy would probably try to find a way to screw me over, especially if the public found out how inadequate their program actually is.) As for the whole "nukes are accademically the top 10% of the military"... it could be true but most of the nukes I know wouldn't last a month in the courses I am taking now, at least not with the crappy explanations NNPTC gives them. I'm pretty sure it is just a way to for them to keep morale high, by telling mediocre kids they are smart. Meanwhile, the actual intelligent people realize that the Navy is using them like a $2 hooker and get pissed off attitudes. However, the Navy is one of the places where easier to be promoted for being a Diggit... even if you are retarded. Therefore, the pissed off intelligent people have to answer to the retarded diggits. This causes even more contempt in the spirit, thus causing them to not reenlist, because anyone with half a brain would realize while 60 grand is a great bonus for two years... unless you are surrounded by Diggits who will try to rape you in shaft alley. And if you don't know what I mean by "diggit", it is a term to describe a person who "digs" the Navy. For example, a typical Nuke Diggit will walk around with an undeserved sense of accomplishment as shown by his second class petty officer badge complimented by his one ribbon he received upon graduating boot camp. He will think he is much smarter than what he really is. He also has to buy several new uniforms a year because he knows otherwise he will not get that outstanding uniform inspection due to his worn out knees on his pants. He will preach about things such as honor, courage, commitment, and integrity, and then kick you when you're down. He still starches his shirt daily, and his face. He also will hold true to the "don't ask don't tell" policy by keeping his mouth busy with "other tasks"

"We don't speak in abbreviations here at -N-N-P-T-C" -Fat Retarded Diggit Chief, and presumed homosexual. On the other hand, it is better than the "wanna be officers/ instructors." Power school instructors, because I should have to salute a fresh college grad who is commissioned as an officer for only two years, to teach about a reactor he has never worked on.

Yep I think it's impossible for the nuclear navy to get dumbed down any farther. If intelligence was heat then the nuclear navy would be slightly above absolute zero. And since heat travels from hot to cold, I doubt you will find any colder objects than NNPTC to dumb it down... er... cool it off any more than it already has been. FTN

As someone who graduated the pipeline with a GPA greater than 3.7, I would have to find myself appalled at what you are writing.  You are obviously showing your lack of intelligence by your scathing insults.  If you do not have a flexible enough of a mind to be able to apply what they are teaching you in calculations that you would have otherwise performed in your head (I can calculate derivatives and integrate in my head and had to conform to doing it "their way" while I was there), then maybe you should look at yourself and assess whether you are really as smart as you say you are.  I would like to know what courses you are taking now, especially the differences in the pair production phemonena that you speak of.  And if you think I am another "diggit", you might want to search for other posts that I have made.

Jason

JsonD13

« Reply #29 on: Oct 02, 2009, 11:51 »
I'm leaving soon, so I'm just speculating from what i heard, they start you down to alga I and work you up FASTLY but throughly. They have all the state of the art programs with computers and stuff and all the officers are there around the clock for extra help. I believe the school is hard for everyone in different ways, but they give you the tool to succeed, it just depends on, do you want to use them or not. If you have the will, and desire, and want to study hard enough, I'm sure almost everyone can do it. If your asvab was fine and u passed all the pre tests, obviously you meet there minimill standards that they can work with... I would sorta delete this thread and search for others. There will be allot of people who yell at you and say " GO SEARCH THE FOURMS". i've been yelled at all over the last months but, i do see where they're coming from. I hope i was of some little hope and confidence. But it doesn't hurt to revisit an old math book or chem book and get a little hold on it to refresh. I just came out of HS and i'm leaving in october. So my mind is still a little fresh :p

You might want to research your job more, the Navy has nothing in the nuclear program that is state of the art.  The technology in the power plants is straight out of the 60's (on the newer ships).  What you will get in your training is a power point lecture and a few books with pre-printed notes to study from.  BTW chemistry is only going to help you for one week throughout your year long classroom training.
Any more questions about it, just ask.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?