Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Considering a Navy Nuclear Enlisted Program honeypot

Author Topic: Considering a Navy Nuclear Enlisted Program  (Read 6491 times)

uiw nuclear guy

Considering a Navy Nuclear Enlisted Program
« on: Aug 11, 2009, 11:29 »
 :-\ I am a licenced nuclear medicine technologist in the state of Texas and have a bachelor of Science in Nuclear Medicine Technology. I was working for 10 months and my wife and I recently got stationed in Japan... Got to love being a dependent!

I just took the paper form of the ASVAB for the Navy and I am hoping for a score of around 80 or higher. I would like to know what my options might be in the nuclear field. I have read quite a few postings on this website and I get the impression that the Navy offers some pretty good incentives for nuclear jobs, as well as great training for transitioning into the civilian sector.

I would like to know if anyone has any sugestions for the best path to take, if the Navy does not offer me nuclear medicine as a career field. I have already been in contact with the recruiter for officer positions, and it appears that I need two semesters of calculus, however I only have one semester of precalculus. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: Considering a Navy Nuclear Enlisted Program
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2009, 11:40 »
Seriously, your best bet would be to buckle down and get those two semesters of Calc taken care of and come in as an officer.  The difference in work between an enlisted person and an officer is about as different as night and day.  The same can be said for post-navy job opportunities(at least from what I have seen). 

I am not 100% sure but I think you might have a chance at being a Rad Health Officer though.  I don't have any experience with the selection process but I am sure it has been discussed on here at some point in time.  Try doing a seach for "rad health officer" and see what comes up.  Otherwise, keep talking to your officer recruiter and knock out those two semesters worth of Calc.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

IPREGEN

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2009, 09:44 »
these are 2 distinct nuclear fields. The Navy Nukes are what the propulsion folks are typically called is where the energy comes from to push the ship and power its auxiliaries. Nuclear Medicine in the Navy is (follow the link) http://www.navy.com/careers/healthcare/medicalservicecorps/healthcaresciences/radiationhealth/

dynamike

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2009, 12:49 »
I'm new to these boards, but not new to Navy Nuclear Power.  I served for 8 years on submarines as a Nuke MM and got out as an MM1/E-6.  I have seen it all.

One thing you've not mentioned is being stationed to stay closer to your wife.  Keep in mind that while you are in boot camp, A-School, Power School, and Prototype, you will be stateside.  There's no way around that.  Since it is not a sea-going billet, chances that your wife will be able to transfer to those duty stations to accompany you are slim.  The time you will spend at any one station is short, maybe too short for her to transfer even if she has a job that is supported at those commands (Yeoman, SK, etc).

Once you finish prototype and get orders to your first ship, you still may not be able to be near each other.  In order for you both to be at the same duty station, you both need to have jobs that are supported by that duty station.  Let's say that you become a nuke MM and your wife is in aviation (mechanic, electronics, etc).  That limits where you can be stationed and both of you be at the same duty station. As you get promoted, those limits become more severe.

You could be stationed together, but I doubt it.  Unless of course, your wife is a Navy Nuke as well.

I DON'T CARE WHAT A RECRUITER TELLS YOU!!! The needs of the Navy always prevail. If this is a short-term (6 and out) risk they two of you are willing to take for the long term gain, then go for it.  If you're looking for a way to end your marriage this will definately help. It can be done, but it's hard and takes commitment.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?