Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Some questions that maybe you guys can help me with...

Author Topic: Some questions that maybe you guys can help me with...  (Read 14424 times)

Depper20091112

Some of these questions maybe a little off topic to this forum but it seems like this place is a better place to ask than in answer.yahoo as most of the people there don't seem like they have ever been in the Navy.

First question is a general question,
       The day I DEPped in, I did all the usual, when it came to the part where the physician told us to put down all the surgeries that we ever had in our lives, he specifically also said to include wisdom tooth extractions, I did put down that I had a wisdom tooth extraction, but I had forgot to put that I had a Root Canal Surgery and a Crown placed over it, honestly forgot to put that down and it wasn't because I was hiding it. About 4 months later, it suddenly popped into my head that I had the surgery but forgot to put it down at MEP's, I told my recruiter about it and he said not to worry about it since it was a minor surgery. I honestly believe he just doesn't want to do the paperwork so I asked my NC1 but he doesn't even know what a Root Canal Was. What Should I do? Are there going to be any problems that's going to come from it? How should I get it fixed?

My second question is,
      It's been 4 months since I turned in my Package for Nuke, still waiting. This question relates a little bit to the first question, say if I'd get my contract anytime soon, does it look bad to change my MEPs record while redo-ing my new contract,(if i get nuke). My recruiter is sure to be lazy so I feel this would be much easier to do, behind his back rather than to plea with him to drive me to MEPS to get things changed. Would this affect me or would this whole thing be better sort out at Moment of Truth?

My Third Question,
      I read somewhere that getting a Security Clearance for being Chinese would slow me down if not get my clearance denied. Right now, I'm a naturalized citizen with both parents, along with my grandparents and some cousins all US Citizens. I also have a US born Sister and my parents and I both have been residents of the United States for close to 19 years. I have been back to China a couple of times, most recent was a little over 5 years ago. I was born in Guahgzhou China,(Southern Province) and moved to the US when I was a little less that two months old. I've read around and been getting mixed answers about getting a Security Clearance. I have no other issues,(no parking tickets, no debt, no criminal history)(Besides Maybe a civil suit that never went to court)(except a warning from a police officer for being too loud and disturbing my neighbor or something), besides that my records are pretty much clean. I still have few 2nd cousins that still live in South China and Hong Kong. So my question is how would I be affected if I were to apply for a Security Clearance?
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2009, 05:20 by Depper20091112 »

Glowing_Since_09

Re: Some questions that maybe you guys can help me with...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2009, 03:34 »

I told my recruiter about it and he said not to worry about it since it was a minor surgery. I honestly believe he just doesn't want to do the paperwork

Possibly true. Like all recruiters say (mostly) about things not on the paper work. "They must of happened in the Navy", so they take care of it later on if it becomes a problem. I personally don't think that your teeth would prevent you from doing anything physical or mental during boot camp and such.

My second question is,
      It's been 4 months since I turned in my Package for Nuke, still waiting. This question relates a little bit to the first question, say if I'd get my contract anytime soon

Once you turned in your information to MEPS, it's solid. They don't care if you "forgot". It's gonna be grounds for suspicious behavior and discharge you (worst case scenario). My recruiters made sure to keep passing me on Nuke, because the recruiters get a bonus for passing one of them. So i don;t think that the recruiter will be to "lax" on turning your stuff in.

My Third Question,
    I'm a naturalized citizen ............. I have been back to China a couple of times.......... I was born in Guahgzhou

Good luck with the clearance :/
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2009, 03:38 by Glowing_Since_09 »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2009, 03:12 »
Depper -> I have a friend who is a naturalized citizen from china. He spent a lot of time on hold waiting for his clearance but he eventually received one. His immediately family lives in china and he seems to visit there a lot. As long as you were forthcoming about everything, you should be ok.

Glowing_Since_09

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:52 »
How long ago was that though? The Navy is picky now and days. They can hold you back for any reason now.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2009, 01:01 »
How long ago was that though? The Navy is picky now and days. They can hold you back for any reason now.

Not too long, less then 2 years ago. They held him for a long time though. He's just now getting to a ship. O.o Not going to promise this kid anything, but just saying it has been done before.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2009, 01:07 »
but I had forgot to put that I had a Root Canal Surgery and a Crown placed over it, honestly forgot to put that down and it wasn't because I was hiding it.

You forgot about a Root Canal? Hello....how credible is THAT?!?

Either a major problem with short-term memory loss, or short-term loss of veracity. Neither one bodes well for the future  >:(

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2009, 01:15 »

Either a major problem with short-term memory loss, or short-term loss of veracity. Neither one bodes well for the future  >:(

You think this kid honestly with-held a root canal? Whats wrong with you?

Glowing_Since_09

« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2009, 02:21 »
I've even heard that the navy is almost over populated. That some "A" school are being on hold for sailors. Any truth to this?

withroaj

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2009, 02:29 »
I've even heard that the navy is almost over populated. That some "A" school are being on hold for sailors. Any truth to this?

As I understand it, Big Navy has achieved its overall manning requirements for this year (I want to say 329,000ish Active Duty...).  The Navy is downsizing "Right Sizing our forces to match our changing maritime strategy."  That means that folks in ratings outside nuclear have to participate in a "Perform to Serve" program.  That means that our non-nuclear pals have to request to reenlist, etc.  while we nukes can stay in as long as we don't get too chubby.

In my small corner of the Navy we still seem to be undermanned. 

Depper20091112

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2009, 03:36 »

It's not a major surgery according to recruiters and people I had talked to. Heck I didn't even know that a Wisdom Tooth extraction counted as surgery let alone a Root Canal. I've never heard of it being a disqualifying factor unless it becomes some kind of major oral issue but mines hasn't bothered me since I put it in. It was definitely because I forgot this with the idea of an Enlistment running through my head and how it would affect the next couple years of my life. If I could re-do MEPS all over again, I'd definitely tell him about the Root Canal since it's really only getting extra needles pricked into your mouth.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2009, 07:29 »
I am certainly not a proponent of Big Brother watching over us but XXXXX...tell me somewhere, somehow there is a Navy shrink and a Navy instructor reviewing the posts of Glowing Since 09 and is alerting the world that this is a certifiable whack job.  

There are people who watch.........

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2009, 09:21 »
Would this affect me or would this whole thing be better sort out at Moment of Truth?

Definitely recommend doing the Moment of Truth thing. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

Depper20091112

« Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2009, 01:11 »
Definitely recommend doing the Moment of Truth thing. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

I was thinking of disclosing it at 2nd trip to MEPs since it is before Moment of Truth and it's less of a hassle. I was wondering if disclosing additional stuff that you didn't disclose in the 1st trip to MEPs affect your chances for Nuke?(just the root Canal) Does it really look bad even though it's a minor surgery?

SideNote. I've heard of people who raised their hands in Moment of Truth and was never seen of again. I've also read stories about people who disclose some petty things who were also discharged. I've read that because of the high retention rates the last couple of years, that they seem to have no problem discharging people for the pettiest things, anybody can shine a light about these stories?
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2009, 01:17 by Depper20091112 »

Offline Golly Orby

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2009, 05:30 »
I don't remember telling the Navy about any of my dental work; I don't remember anyone asking for it.

However, in boot camp, I did get asked about the root canal work I had done on me after we got our dental x-rays.  They inspected my root canal on my next visit when they pulled out my wisdom teeth.
 :-X

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2009, 06:13 »

I thought so,.....

I've witnessed the manifestation of such,.....

I have experienced the manifestation of such,.....  8)

Justin

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #15 on: Aug 26, 2009, 09:35 »
BTW;

2 out of 3 in Fenway,......oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!! :P

+K to you!!!
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #16 on: Aug 26, 2009, 09:37 »
There are people who watch.........

But remember....

Just because you a paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?