Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu About to be DQd for medical history

Author Topic: About to be DQd for medical history  (Read 2854 times)

Chendlar

About to be DQd for medical history
« on: Aug 19, 2009, 06:42 »
I have been locked in the recruiter paperwork battle for many months now waiting for my chance to get to MEPS.  Everything has looked good up until today when I was informed that the recruiting office got a medical record that pointed to me having chronic asthma and depression.  I was fully honest about my previous medical conditions when I first walked into the recruiters office, but my medical record is showing otherwise.

I have used an inhaler in the past for allergies to cats.  I have received prescriptions for the sole reason that I cannot spend the night at anyone's house who owns a cat without one.  I don't see how this would DQ me.  How often would I have to sleep with cats on a navy ship?

I was hospitalized at the age of 15 because I began experimenting with alcohol and my parents flipped out and decided to teach me a lesson.  I have also seen an LCSW for the majority of my life and have been prescribed antidepressants by my own request.  The LCSW will vouch in my favor that he is nothing more than a "life coach" and not a depression councilor, and I can also get a doctor's note which explains that my depression was acute and situational rather than chronic.  At the current time I am NOT on ANY medications.

My recruiter is telling me that even with these recommendations, my situation "doesn't look good".
   I scored a 92 on my ASVAB and really had my heart set on NUC ET.
   Is there anything else that I might be able to do or steps that I could take to prevent me getting disqualified?

[EDIT] Oh, almost forgot, this medical record also stated me as being Hepititis B positive(which I am not).  I wrestled for 4 years in high school and subsequently came in contact with the virus and have developed a natural immunity to it as a result of getting the 3 shot vaccination series.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2009, 06:46 by Chendlar »

Glowing_Since_09

Re: About to be DQd for medical history
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2009, 08:41 »
In MEPS they ask " have you used an inhaler in the last 6 years" (from my memory), but the inhaler can become a waiver, its the depressants that screwed you. The military wont deal with any one who can someday explode and shoot people.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: About to be DQd for medical history
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2009, 12:16 »
1. You have no idea what other allergens will set off your histamine response in any Navy facility, equipment, etc. Epi pens are not part of the uniform.

2. Antidepressants , no-go
2.1 Depression being situational, read some of the recent posts regarding life at sea.

3. Being positive for Hep B means you have the antibodies present, so maybe you don't have an active infection , or maybe you do, how will MEPS know? See http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/hepatitis_b/test.html#what on the test results and what they mean.

In summary, active duty in any rate probably isn't going to happen for you. However, there are opportunities in nuclear power plants without having to have been a Navy nuke.
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009, 12:30 by HydroDave63 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?