Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Check this out  

Author Topic: Check this out  (Read 4333 times)

Glowing_Since_09

Check this out
« on: Aug 21, 2009, 03:21 »
Most negative site i've ever seen about Navy life.

Check this out, any former enlisted please shed some light on these subjects.

http://www.newnavy.us/nuclear-submarine-FAQ/nuclear-submarine-FAQ.htm

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Check this out
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2009, 08:27 »
I sense the Dark Side is strong in this one. My only comment is "perspective", his rose colored glasses are turd brown.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2009, 09:13 »
Most negative site i've ever seen about Navy life.

Check this out, any former enlisted please shed some light on these subjects.

http://www.newnavy.us/nuclear-submarine-FAQ/nuclear-submarine-FAQ.htm

This is not a reality forum--this is an actuality forum.  We who have already been there and done that for at least one enlistment period have more than paid for the right to actuate PR-1, PR-3, PR-21, and PR22--whether all at once or in progression.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2009, 09:14 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

withroaj

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2009, 10:39 »
I hope you wouldn't take that site and develop preconceived notions about what your own experience will hold.  For what it's worth, Navy nuke life will push you to the limit... a lot; and it's usually not your actual job that drives you nuts.  It's very easy to get caught up in the negativity, which will at some point come at you from every direction -- your buddies, your boss, your job, the command.  If you don't develop some good coping skills you can very well have a terrible Navy experience.  While it's impossible to maintain a positive attitude about this job 100% of the time (everybody has a breaking point, and the combined stresses of Navy/military life and nuclear power will test that point at least once in your Navy time), you should try to be the guy freaking out the least in bad situations.

When it feels like today/this week/this month/this year will never end, it's important to realize that working 16 hours a day, six days a week isn't the culmination of your efforts; it's part of the development process.  If the Navy isn't your thing you can leave at the end of your contract and live a good life regardless of how bad your enlistment was (instead of obsessing over how terrible the experience was).

I can tell you that my Navy adventure hasn't been all peaches and cream and that I'm planning to get out when my contract is done, but I don't go into work every day hating my job and my life.  In fact I'd be a lifer if it weren't for a few little (HUGE) issues I have with the "way things work."

After all that rambling I should just say that you shouldn't lose heart just because somebody really hated their time on the boat.  You don't have to hate yours (and you certainly shouldn't worry about it before the whole thing starts). 

I'd also advise against judging the creator of that site.  Some people have a terrible time in the Navy and there's nothing besides EAOS that can correct it.  I have a few great friends who absolutely loathed every second they spent in the Navy; and though they are now successful post-Navy, they are absolutely unable to see anything positive they gained from their time (except an incredibly high tolerance for BS and unreasonably high standards for their professors/co-workers/etc.).

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2009, 10:59 »
Honestly sounds like sour grapes. The guy is definitely not a nuke so I don't understand how he can comment on things "back aft" Since when are there hydraulics in the berthing areas strong enough to "crush a man's foot"? You'll hear me pick on Navy Nukes constantly however overall I had a great time in the Navy. It' was a job, sometimes a pain in the arse job, the leadership wasn't all that great but in most cases it wasn't the worst I've ever seen. The food wasn't bad, and when I was sick, I was mostly taken care of very well. In a military vessel they cannot always take care of safety concerns the way we'd like but we have to remember, the vessel's purpose is to fight a war and so far as I know no enemy combatant is all that concerned about OSHA or my physical well being. Some of the best people I know were ex Navy, both enlisted and officer. Obviously the gentleman who started that web site didn't develop the Grain Of Salt Reflex one needs to succeed in the Navy or any job that has relatively high demands on one. To be quite honest I don't think the Navy had that many demands, keep squared away, do your job, and understand your job is whatever they tell you to do.

Mike
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2009, 11:02 by Broadzilla »

ranger2

« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2009, 03:07 »
The guy is definitely not a nuke so I don't understand how he can comment on things "back aft" Since when are there hydraulics in the berthing areas strong enough to "crush a man's foot"?
Mike

Actually he was a nuke ET. I served with him until his untimely departure from the boat. The incident to which he refers happened while junior sailors were berthing in the torpedo room. Never a good idea to be indexing weapon trays with people sleeping in the vicinity.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2009, 06:28 by ranger2 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?