Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Worried about becoming a nuke honeypot

Author Topic: Worried about becoming a nuke  (Read 9345 times)

DeepBlue

Worried about becoming a nuke
« on: Aug 25, 2009, 10:06 »
Right now I am in power school and almost finished, I have been doing ok but I have a dilema, I have heard stories and read 100's of post on this forum and I have wanted to change my job but everyone has told me it is not possible, and I was wondering if it was possible  without failing out or getting in trouble. Thanks for all replies that come.

JustinHEMI05

Re: Worried about becoming a nuke
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2009, 10:13 »
Changing jobs now will be the biggest mistake of your life, IMO.

Justin

Glowing_Since_09

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2009, 10:18 »
Ur lack of dedication is disturbing.

Offline STLNuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2009, 08:18 »
First let me say that unless you go Officer, there is no way out of being a Nuke unless it's due to medical or getting in trouble.  You cannot convert to a more critical NEC as there are none.  Not even SEAL.  You are always a Nuke unless you fail out, get in trouble, or are medically disqual'd.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2009, 10:11 »
Left the navy after six years, because I did not want to go back to the extremely long hours.  While in, tried UDT, PBR's, SWIFT, even tried drinking way too much, nothing worked (the drinking almost did but I cam to my senses).  My non-nuke command was going to recommend me for warrant, but from what some have said here, that would not have worked.  The line officers were also locked in until they had sufficient rank to be an XO, but that may have changed.  I remember a guy who got busted from E-5 to E-4, still a nuke, then he thought, "Hey, if I get busted to E-3 I am gone!", the command said "No, if you are busted to E-3, in addition to your nuke assignments, you will be required to work the mess decks".  I don't know if the command was bluffing, but it got his attention and he guy squared away.

When I was in, the nukes who dropped out of school or prototype, got orders to Alaska, or Gitmo, or such, and still had the six year commitment.

Tough it up, your attitude will change after the four year hump.  Do your best and get rate as fast as possible.  It will all be over before you know it, and you might even have some fun and gratification while doing it.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2009, 10:16 »
First let me say that unless you go Officer, there is no way out of being a Nuke unless it's due to medical or getting in trouble.  You cannot convert to a more critical NEC as there are none.  Not even SEAL.  You are always a Nuke unless you fail out, get in trouble, or are medically disqual'd.

Not true.  Think lingustics.  If you speak Arabic, Romanian, Chinese, etc. I have seen nukes pulled off the boats to fill dire needs in these areas.
But, you still need to answer the question posed.  Why do you want to change your career path?
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

DeepBlue

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2009, 12:37 »
Well since I joined the navy I have strived to do my best, I am always trying to achieve better test scores, do good on inspections, shutting up and not complain, but it seems that all my efforts in this program have only placed me in a mediocre range and I feel that the navy could benefit from me else where, with something I would enjoy doing more (or fitting in with the people I work with), I am worried about being in a job I hate and it being to late to change, I have learned alot about myself because of the navy and might make it a career from it. Glowing Since 09 , I am sorry that you feel I lack dedication when I have given up alot to be here. Everyone else thank you for your replies.

Glowing_Since_09

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2009, 02:21 »
Don't take it personally. I agree with your reasons. I wanted to put a Vader picture on my post to make it funny ( "your lack of FAITH is disturbing"). I wanted to make it a joke and wasn't intended to put you down.

I do agree with you in a way, but if you strive to be better (as you stated) and you not Glowing with in your classmates ( pun intended) isn't the job your in right now perfect for you? To make you push your limits and become the best you can be?

But I wont be naive, if you reached your plato, don't be ashamed to do something you will enjoy. Best of luck out there.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2009, 09:14 »
Don't take it personally. I agree with your reasons. I wanted to put a Vader picture on my post to make it funny ( "your lack of FAITH is disturbing"). I wanted to make it a joke and wasn't intended to put you down.

I do agree with you in a way, but if you strive to be better (as you stated) and you not Glowing with in your classmates ( pun intended) isn't the job your in right now perfect for you? To make you push your limits and become the best you can be?

But I wont be naive, if you reached your plato, don't be ashamed to do something you will enjoy. Best of luck out there.

What does a philosopher have to do with Nuclear Power?

DeepBlue,  Just remember that NPS is not like being a nuclear operator in the navy insomuch as Driver's Ed isn't like driving on the highway.

The only times I have ever seen a nuke leave the nuclear community was to become an NC, which is a Navy Career Counselor, or to become an MA, which is Master-at-Arms, but this was during the huge increase of manning for MA post 9/11.  I also saw one guy cross over to the Army to become a Warrant Officer and fly attack choppers. 

"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2009, 10:14 »
It would have taken much more than a picture to make your post funny.  I will also say you missed your stated intent and you are indeed a bit naive thinking you are not naive.  BTW, this is not meant to be funny.

Right on target. +K
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2009, 12:01 by NukeLDO »
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline bradley535

• Light User
  • My employer found me at NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2009, 11:40 »
Normally by now your post would have been hit with about five reply posts about how you aren't really fit for the nuclear world or that you should just 'suck-it-up'. I see that hasn't happened yet, so I'm putting that out there in the hopes of invalidating any future attempts to dishearten you. My advice is don't get down on yourself. Almost everyone will either admit that at some point they have felt the same way do now or will lie to you (or are lying to themselves).

Right now I am in power school and almost finished, I have been doing ok but I have a dilema, I have heard stories and read 100's of post on this forum and I have wanted to change my job but everyone has told me it is not possible, and I was wondering if it was possible without failing out or getting in trouble. Thanks for all replies that come.

I see you have your answer for the problem already, so I am left with the thought that you are not really asking how to get out. I have to think that what you are really looking for is a validation/invalidation of the 100's of stories and how they apply directly to the frustrations that you, personally, are experiencing. To that end, I must agree with Justin:

Changing jobs now will be the biggest mistake of your life, IMO.

Justin

Being a Navy nuke is, without a doubt, the most difficult and frustrating thing I have ever done in my entire life. It has also been one of the most rewarding. You have signed up and entered into a world that you cannot escape from (aside from tapping out and going off the deep end) for six years. What's more is that in order to make that world a little better you are often faced with the decision to volunteer for another two+ years of it (STAR). Looking ahead at that and faced with the challenges you are currently going through can make it feel overwhelming and like it's impossible to go on. Hold strong and stay the course. If you decide that the Navy life is not for you after really experiencing it, then you will be released from it in six years (five by now). When you do get out, you will be trained to a point that very lucrative positions will be offered to you. The really creepy thing is that there have been many people that have felt just as you do right now that have changed their minds and 'stayed Navy' for twenty+ years.

It's rough, it's painful, it's even unfair at times; but if you have what it takes and stick with it, the rewards for hard work will almost invariably pay off.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Bradley
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2009, 11:47 by bradley535 »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2009, 01:47 »
Well since I joined the navy I have strived to do my best, I am always trying to achieve better test scores, do good on inspections, shutting up and not complain, but it seems that all my efforts in this program have only placed me in a mediocre range and I feel that the navy could benefit from me else where, with something I would enjoy doing more (or fitting in with the people I work with), I am worried about being in a job I hate and it being to late to change, I have learned alot about myself because of the navy and might make it a career from it. Glowing Since 09 , I am sorry that you feel I lack dedication when I have given up alot to be here. Everyone else thank you for your replies.

Hard for a star to shine in the Milky Way?

Better to rule in hell than serve in Heaven?

Sorry I don't mean to make fun (OK that is a lie) but you are probably just thinking the same thing the nuke next to you is thinking.

Offline Adam Grundleger

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2009, 02:33 »
The nuke program is a pump, not a filter.  Those days have passed.  You WILL be a nuke.  The decision you must now make is "What type of nuke will you be?"

I knew a lot of good nukes.  Most hated school and were more at ease in prototype, more so in the fleet.  Get to the fleet before you start questioning your rate.  Just take a deep breath and put your shoulder to the wheel.  Effort, honest and pure, will take you a long way.  From personal experience, the guys who showed the most heart, even if they were dumb as a post (and I don't think you are), got a lot of respect.

I'm not going to tell you to suck it up, you'll most likely hear that (or say it) later on.  I will tell you, however, that the die is cast and you aren't getting out of the NNPP.  Make the best of it and you may be surprised. 

BTW, keep up the good work and thanks for your service.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2009, 08:24 »

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/bong.htm

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?