Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu VERY Green Recruit with Questions

Author Topic: VERY Green Recruit with Questions  (Read 6334 times)

fighterspirit

VERY Green Recruit with Questions
« on: Aug 27, 2009, 07:52 »
Hello everyone. I'm a DEP Recruit who has already signed a contract to become a Nuke. I've spoken with my recruiters concerning MANY nuke questions, and they seem to be clueless in many cases. I have a flurry of questions, many of which were already answered when I searched other threads. Here's a few that I may have missed:

1) When I finish Boot Camp, do I have a free week before A school to see my family, or do I immediately ship off without so much as a last visit?
2) When I go to A school, am I allowed my normal 1 month of vacation? And if I take it, does that put me behind in my training/learning program?
3) I have LOTS of college credits. Roughly 3 years worth, but all in the medical field. When I finish A school, will all that education count as credits that I can put towards getting a bachelors degree? (with the goal of applying to OCS)
4) Concerning my last question, is it practical to apply to OCS from a Nuke rating?
5) Of the three nuke ratings MM, EM, ET, which would be the best to excel to officer or get noticed? I saw that each rating has very different training schedules and durations, and I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into, and if the bonus is worth all the extra hard work.

Finally, what kind of duty can I expect to do as a Nuke, and how will my life be different from other enlisted personnel? I understand that sometimes the Nukes stay behind while the other enlisted personnel are on leave at shore, and they perform repairs or cleanup on the ship (steam duty?) while the others have their time off. What are the cons that might make me regret nuke, and what are the unique pros aside from a fat up front bonus?

Thank you to everyone in advance for any kind of help you can offer. I have a few months before I ship, and I really need to know what I'm getting myself into here, because recruiters have a way of muddlings things. :-(

EasyLivin

Re: VERY Green Recruit with Questions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2009, 08:38 »
1) You will immediately ship off to A-school.
2) You will not be allowed to take leave until you finish A-School. MM A-school is 3 months, EM & ET is 6 months.
3) Power school and prototype is where you may receive the majority of your college credit. It all depends on which of the three schools (which accept ACE recommendations for nuclear power school) that you choose to attend.
4) Sure.
5) You will not get to choose your rating. Performance is what makes a Nuke standout.

fighterspirit

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2009, 09:05 »
Thanks for the prompt response EasyLivin! That really simplifies everything for me, and I just have a few more questions for anyone who's willing to answer. So far from what I've read, the Nuke track is full of difficulties. Im not sure if these begin within the fleet, or as early as A-school.
1) When I'm training in A-school, what is the environment like? Im currently preparing myself by taking some math and physics courses in community college instead of just twiddling my thumbs... Is there a good team environment at A-school (group tutoring, teachers taking time aside to help, team efforts) or is it every sailor for their self?
2) I've met sailors who have traveled ALL OVER the world, and Ive met other sailors who signed up in Florida (where Im from) and never left the damn state in 20 years of duty. I want to see the WORLD. Do I have any influence over where I'm deployed?
3) How does the deployment system work? I heard it was 6 months at sea, then 12 at land? Is there some way I can go back to back on different sea voyages, to do as many tours on as many places and ships as possible? Im not scared of extra work, and when I signed up I was well aware this was going to be service to my country. But I also want it to be one of the best experiences of my life if I can  :)

One last thing. I have a girlfriend who I've dated since high school, roughly four years. I know that the Navy cares zero for girlfriends, and I'm not about to make this into another thread about how much I love the girl, and how much I need to marry her, and blah blah blah. I'm focused on my service, but I'd like to know if the Navy helps me in any way that would be conducive to a visit from a girl. For example: free military flights on standby. Are those just for me, or can I bring one lucky girl with me when I'm on leave?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2009, 09:16 »
For example: free military flights on standby. Are those just for me, or can I bring one lucky girl with me when I'm on leave?

They are becoming harder to get...  http://www.military.com/Travel/Content1/0,,SAF_overview,00.html

Offline Golly Orby

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2009, 09:29 »
1) Is there a good team environment at A-school (group tutoring, teachers taking time aside to help, team efforts) or is it every sailor for their self?
While the school isn't exactly sink-or-swim (mandatory study hours, mandatory homework, etc), most of this environment is purely up to you to create.  There is plenty of help available from the instructors should you want to seek it.  There's also Group Study available, so long as your class does not abuse the privilege, and on the opposite end there is a quiet study for those who want to be at peace when studying (like me!).

While it's not guaranteed, the odds are very good that at least one of your fellow students may not take studying seriously, and may be on hours programs that keep them in the building for the entire time that you'll be there.  When this happens, it's up to you to make sure that you don't get distracted.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2009, 09:41 »
Fighterspirit,

First of all, let me commend you on taking the initiative and searching through the forums and getting the answers to (some of) your questions on your own.  Now to answer your follow-ups.

1) When I'm training in A-school, what is the environment like? Im currently preparing myself by taking some math and physics courses in community college instead of just twiddling my thumbs... Is there a good team environment at A-school (group tutoring, teachers taking time aside to help, team efforts) or is it every sailor for their self?

Here's a posting about daily life in nuke school:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,18195.msg104544.html#msg104544

There is a big team effort in A-school and Power School (much less so in prototype).  Everybody has to learn the exact same material, and everybody takes the exact same tests.  So group study is common.  The smarter students are encouraged to help the struggling students with the material.  It's better to have a class average of 2.63 with no failures, than a class average of 3.22 with two failures.

2) I've met sailors who have traveled ALL OVER the world, and Ive met other sailors who signed up in Florida (where Im from) and never left the damn state in 20 years of duty. I want to see the WORLD. Do I have any influence over where I'm deployed?
Unless you're on a boomer (SSBN) submarine, or your ship is in drydock for an extended period of time, you're going to go on deployment and see the world.  In prototype you will fill out a "dream sheet" requesting what kind of ship you would like to be assigned, and where.  No guarantees, needs of the navy.

3) How does the deployment system work? I heard it was 6 months at sea, then 12 at land? Is there some way I can go back to back on different sea voyages, to do as many tours on as many places and ships as possible? Im not scared of extra work, and when I signed up I was well aware this was going to be service to my country. But I also want it to be one of the best experiences of my life if I can  :)

Special projects submarines (right now, the USS Jimmy Carter (SSN-23), and formerly the USS Parche (SSN-683)) spend a lot of time out at sea.  A lot.  I'm not sure how many ports they get to see.

If you're interested, you might be able to do a split tour, where you work on one command for a few years and then switch to another for the remainder of your time.  If you time it correctly, you can get two deployments in rapid succession.

Once you've completed your sea tour (~4-5 years), you will negotiate with the detailer about your next assignment.  Most guys are looking to go to shore duty, because shore duty is significantly less arduous.  But if you want to go on another sea tour, the detailer would be happy to send you to another ship.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

EasyLivin

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2009, 09:56 »
1) The environment is great. My class had study sessions on some weekends to help everyone succeed. It was run by an instructor who came in on his off time. So, the help should always be there. If you want to get a jump start on your "college credits" you need up to Calculus II and Physics II (including labs). Also, the required humanities and english credits.

2) I was a surface sailor. During my four years on the ship, and three deployments, I visited 12 different countries. This includes going to Dubai 4 times.

3) You can only do so much sea time buddy. As long as you are not on a boomer, you will see the world.

As far as your relationship goes... I had a high school sweetheart during the pipeline. She came to visit on the weekends. Apart from that... the future of your relationship is up to you. (See #2)

fighterspirit

« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2009, 03:25 »
sovbob, I'd like to say THANK YOU for taking the time to write that very detailed post. It cleared up a LOT for me about what to expect, I heard it was difficult and now I know that I need to prepare. Again, I can't say thank you enough to all of you for being so helpful!
And easylivin, thanks for the tips (including the warning about boomers, what are those anyways? lol) and the advice about my sweetheart.

It seems every day a few new questions come up, usually the very nitty gritty specifics that are hard to get answers for. I continue to find more and more info on these forums, which have been incredibly useful so far. Here are the new questions that have come up for me:

Someone told me there are several Nuke schools, but as far as I know the one I'll have to go to is in South Carolina, correct?

I also hear our Sundays are free days, or day when we have liberty. Is that true? And is there anything to do around town?

One final question: I have several key things I'm concerned about bringing up with me. For one, I am a concealed weapons license holder, and believe strongly in my right to bear arms and defend my fellow sailors, or innocent civilians from wrongdoing. Will I be allowed to maintain my weapon while on base, or have it mailed to me?
Also, would it be a liability for me to have my car sent to me so that I can have transportation in town?

I think that should just about do it for this thread. :-) I'm very glad I posted here, and thank you to those who posted, and anyone who answers these final questions in advance for being so helpful to me. Its going to help me a lot with mentally preparing for the trials ahead.  ;D

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2009, 05:46 »
No weapons in the barracks...period.  If you are married and live in military housing you can keep your firearms, but they have to be registered with base security.
Sundays will be as free as you make them.
There is only one nuke school, but there are two prototype plants (converted S5W submarines that are operated as training platforms) in SC on another part of the base.  The other protype trainers are in NY.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2009, 11:37 by NukeLDO »
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

EasyLivin

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2009, 09:53 »
Spirit,
Your firearms will have to be kept at the armory, if you live in the barracks. Keep in mind, you will not be a marine and will not carry weapons as a part of your job (unless you are standing an armed watch in port).
A "boomer" is an SSBN. Try the search function to find out more about submarine life, I cannot provide any info about subs.
A-school and power school are in South Carolina. Prototype is in South Carolina or Ballston Spa, New York.
Your liberty situation depends on your performance in school. Sure, Sundays can be free days if you make the grade. If you perform well, you can have liberty all weekend. If you are slacking in class, you may be put on mandatory hours and will not get very much free time.

fighterspirit

« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2009, 04:05 »
Thank again, to both of you.  ;D I truly appreciate the help and advice!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?