Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu looking for advice

Author Topic: looking for advice  (Read 17167 times)

F

looking for advice
« on: Aug 31, 2009, 10:42 »
When i get out of the navy after my six years i want to be able to settle down comfortably.    so my question is what is the best way to set myself up for a job in the commercial nuclear world? what rate should i pick if i get the option? and do you guys think its smart to try and get a degree(and what type of degree) or at least a few college credits while in in the Navy?

Fermi2

Re: looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2009, 11:19 »
None of the above.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2009, 12:44 »

Send me a certified cashiers check for $10,000.00 and I'll give you your first installment of the
"Six Figures Per Year in Six Years Plan".

It's a six installment plan, renewable on an annual basis.

Then he'd be out of money, and would need the SRB for reenlisting....or maybe that's your point, you undercover recruiter you  :P

On-topic: It would help to answer if you narrow the focus of your question. What rating would best fit your current skills? If you went to college, what degree would you pursue? Is the Navy even right for you? Without doing some research on your part, it could end up being all "F"'d up....  ;)

F

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2009, 11:18 »
We all did (do).

I just cannot see giving away for free what took me years of hard knocks to learn.

Send me a certified cashiers check for $10,000.00 and I'll give you your first installment of the
"Six Figures Per Year in Six Years Plan".

It's a six installment plan, renewable on an annual basis.

If you have already joined the Navy I will give you this from the bottom of my heart and for free;

Thank you for volunteering to stand the watch.

Welcome to nukeworker.

Keep us posted as to how you progress.

With sincere best wishes for your future,....marssim,... 8)

(PS - I'll even bump your karma back up to zero because sometimes nubs don't even know they're being nubs)

Thank you!

I read through a few "which rate" threads and they all seem to base it off high school.  I guess I'm pretty well rounded and all three rates appeal to me, I took auto shop, electronics classes, advanced physics and have had my geeky tendencies

So let's say that I am looking for which job is the most marketable to nuclear plants(today not when so and so got out ten years ago).  If you can't be helpful I guess I'll continue searching

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2009, 07:04 »
Thank you!

I read through a few "which rate" threads and they all seem to base it off high school.  I guess I'm pretty well rounded and all three rates appeal to me, I took auto shop, electronics classes, advanced physics and have had my geeky tendencies

So let's say that I am looking for which job is the most marketable to nuclear plants(today not when so and so got out ten years ago).  If you can't be helpful I guess I'll continue searching

You will likely not get a choice of rating - that issue is covered in the boards also. Sounds like you would do well in any of them. There are successful people here from all of them.

I wasn't a nuke, but I have worked with many - they all claim their rate is the best, and from what I have seen, they are all right.... ;D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2009, 10:14 »
Again, if your advice does not include a pat on the head and at least 45 warm fuzzies you're considered mean.

The best rate is Commercial Nuke 1st Class.

Mike

F

« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2009, 11:42 »
I browsed the forums for a few weeks, i signed up so that i could use the search function and when i didn't find anything i thought i could start a thread sorry if i did something wrong.

and i was serious when i said i'll keep searching because i still have three more months to go.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2009, 11:45 »
I browsed the forums for a few weeks, i signed up so that i could use the search function and when i didn't find anything i thought i could start a thread sorry if i did something wrong.

and i was serious when i said i'll keep searching because i still have three more months to go.

I think you will find this site useful but you may need a thick skin. Most posters on this site are very helpful, each in their own way.

"Thank you sir, may I have another!!"  ;)

F

« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2009, 11:56 »
ok so it appears that any rate in the nuke program looks good.  So if i wanted to improve my chances of getting a job what else could i do? college classes? degrees? (and i know it's not all about making money) but how could further training help?
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2009, 11:59 by F »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2009, 01:41 »
ok so it appears that any rate in the nuke program looks good.  So if i wanted to improve my chances of getting a job what else could i do? college classes? degrees? (and i know it's not all about making money) but how could further training help?

Well clearly ELTs are the creme of the crop but that is something you will have to pursue after qualifying as a mechanical operator.  :D

A good conduct discharge is a good first start. Degrees are always good but get one that is acceptable to your career goals, I would suggest a generalized degree such as mechanical or electrical but these would be hard in the Navy this broadens your career options. I would have to ask what you consider comfortable as you will be starting all over again if you go to a civilian reactor after the Navy. Navy Nuke is a foot in the door but it is still just the start of a new career. I expect that you may change your mind a number of times about what you want to do when you get out, that is not unusual, Navy Nuke is still a good start for many careers nuclear and otherwise.

IPREGEN

« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2009, 02:26 »
the old fashioned way. Make friends and maintain contact with people getting out, use the connections you make with them to help get you a job where they go. They should be able to provide you some insight to what it takes to get hired, the contacts and what the pay is. If you only have three months get busy, maintain contact on a site like Facebook (not endorsing just a suggestion).

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2009, 03:47 »
I can only assume that you mistyped and meant ET

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2009, 04:27 »
Well clearly ELTs are the creme of the crop but that is something you will have to pursue after qualifying as a mechanical operator.  :D

A good conduct discharge is a good first start. Degrees are always good but get one that is acceptable to your career goals, I would suggest a generalized degree such as mechanical or electrical but these would be hard in the Navy this broadens your career options. I would have to ask what you consider comfortable as you will be starting all over again if you go to a civilian reactor after the Navy. Navy Nuke is a foot in the door but it is still just the start of a new career. I expect that you may change your mind a number of times about what you want to do when you get out, that is not unusual, Navy Nuke is still a good start for many careers nuclear and otherwise.

I can only assume that you mistyped and meant ET

...and I can only assume that you meant to reply to my post above, so let an xELT help out his poor little ET brother  ;) 8)

M1Ark

« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2009, 11:36 »

LMAO!  Please be truthful on this site.  Young impressionable people might believe you.

withroaj

« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2009, 11:15 »
This always comes up, and it still blows my mind to see how many fail to recognize the glory of the ELT.  If you're not an ELT, you've needed an ELT at least once to get your job done (except for dirty pipe mechanics on CVN's and E Div on SSN's).  Chances are, when the ELT showed up with his frisker and green bag o' magic the tools for the job weren't even staged yet.  That's cool, though.  We can brief and wait until you're ready.

When all others have automatic protective features to safeguard their portions of the plant, ELT's ARE the protective features for our portion.

I haven't even gotten to the award-winning personalities, animal magnetism, and overall sex appeal that are the cornerstones of the ELT community.
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2009, 12:55 by withroaj »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2009, 11:29 »
This always comes up, and it still blows my mind to see how many fail to recognize the glory of the ELT.  If you're not an ELT, you've needed an ELT at least once to get your job done (except for dirty pipe mechanics on CVN's).  Chances are, when the ELT showed up with his frisker and green bag o' magic the tools for the job weren't even staged yet.  That's cool, though.  We can brief and wait until you're ready.

When all others have automatic protective features to safeguard their portions of the plant, ELT's ARE the protective features for our portion.

I haven't even gotten to the award-winning personalities, animal magnetism, and overall sex appeal that are the cornerstones of the ELT community.

They patterned the Dos Equis "World's Most Interesting Man" after ELTs.
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2009, 11:32 by Marlin »

F

« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 2009, 12:56 »
woah! thanks for the links that answered a few questions

I want to figure out a basic plan for when i get out, and i know theres a chance i will re-enlist but im not going to make that decision until later on.  When i say settle down comfortably i don't mean by making tons of money, i mean start a family buy a house and not move around.  so right now my goal is to do something in nuclear power since i will have the training.  i guess i need to do some more research in the non-navy nuke forums

edit: Can anyone give a basic explanation of the different qualifications/certifications that will be available to me and when i can complete them?

edit2:  If I want to get out of nuclear power what other businesses will pick up nukes straight out of the navy without additional training?
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2009, 03:35 by F »

nrlien

« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2009, 03:43 »
Your navy nuclear experience will be a plus for you regardless of rate if you want to work at a civilian plant when you get out. After 6 years of the nuclear navy, you very well may want to look to a different field :)  But in all seriousness, do your job, do it well, stay out of trouble, and learn as much as you can. Before your EAOS, if you are still interested in the nuclear field, I'd start doing research on specific sites, and making contacts with people that work at those sites. I expect nuclear power to grow over the next 10 years at least, so there should be an opening to your liking. The hiring process can be a little stressful, but your experience should help you crush the tests and interviews.

Good luck with the Navy! I did my 6 and, in the end, it was a pain in the ass, but well worth it.

EasyLivin

« Reply #18 on: Sep 06, 2009, 09:17 »
Plus, the ladies love ELTs :)

M1Ark

« Reply #19 on: Sep 07, 2009, 08:00 »
Plus, the ladies love ELTs :)

When you say ladies you mean other ELTs?

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: Sep 07, 2009, 08:03 »
Oh No No No, he means your Megan Fox/Kate Beckinsale types.

Mike

Offline merchantg

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Sep 07, 2009, 08:39 »
When you say ladies you mean other ELTs?

No No Im certain he meant Conventional Mdiv.

F

« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2009, 09:37 »
Oh since  ELTs get the ladies than that's  what I'll be ;)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: Sep 07, 2009, 09:42 »
Oh since  ELTs get the ladies than that's  what I'll be ;)

I think he was saying that the A-gangers look at the ELTs as ladies ;) ya know, all that animal magnetism stuff...
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2009, 09:47 by HydroDave63 »

Fermi2

« Reply #24 on: Sep 07, 2009, 09:55 »
LMAO I just noticed the quote HydroDave is using as his signature!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?