Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu getting started..

Author Topic: getting started..  (Read 9833 times)

eviljim35

getting started..
« on: Oct 01, 2009, 10:56 »
I am graduating from the nuclear technology program in may. I took it at my local community college here in ohio. I have taken the EEI test..moss/poss and got a pass/pass at the perry nuclear power plant. I would like to start working on getting my foot in the door at any plant available. I really want to start out as an NLO, and work up. I have 3.9 GPA and feel that I can pass the tests easily. My question is where do I start? What should I be doing right now in order to get ready for a job after I graduate, or before if at all possible. Any ideas and answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fermi2

Re: getting started..
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2009, 11:31 »
On what basis do you believe you can pass the tests easily? Your 3.9 average in some nickel/dime college is really meaningless.

Mike

eviljim35

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2009, 01:41 »
because I know what I am capable of and know that I can do it.

eviljim35

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2009, 01:43 »
I'm new to the industry, so I was asking for help on what I should be doing at this point to start my career when I get done with school. I wasn't asking to be ridiculed for what school I can afford to go to. so if you have any good suggestions for me I would appreciate them.

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2009, 05:51 »
i think they were meaning you can start in this business from the bottom work your way up learn on the job.i learned while on the job i didnt go to no school .back in the day i dont think anyone went to a school.they just learned like on the job training

Content1

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2009, 10:10 »
i think they were meaning you can start in this business from the bottom work your way up learn on the job.i learned while on the job i didnt go to no school .back in the day i dont think anyone went to a school.they just learned like on the job training

Be proud of your education or end up with the grammar of this post.   It will pay off and you will make money too.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2009, 10:38 »
I am graduating from the nuclear technology program in may. I took it at my local community college here in ohio. I have taken the EEI test..moss/poss and got a pass/pass at the perry nuclear power plant. I would like to start working on getting my foot in the door at any plant available. I really want to start out as an NLO, and work up. I have 3.9 GPA and feel that I can pass the tests easily. My question is where do I start? What should I be doing right now in order to get ready for a job after I graduate, or before if at all possible. Any ideas and answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If I'm reading correctly you've already taken the MOSS/POSS already and passed them.  I would say first to decide where you would like to work.  If location is not as important as getting into the industry then create a profile on the jobs section of Nukeworker and begin searching for NLO jobs.  Most of the nuclear operating companies have their websites listed there and many of them also list jobs available. 

Karma to you for having the foresight to plan ahead and ask questions.  Understand that while some of the answers might not seem to be helpful even those are.  How helpful they really are depends on how you take them.  It's a nuke habit to have a questioning attitude and many times see how much someone really wants something by seeing whether they answer or get defensive.  Answering is the best policy, because even if you feel foolishly initially you will get your question answered by some of the best in the industry.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2009, 11:32 »
If I'm reading correctly you've already taken the MOSS/POSS already and passed them.  I would say first to decide where you would like to work.  If location is not as important as getting into the industry then create a profile on the jobs section of Nukeworker and begin searching for NLO jobs.  Most of the nuclear operating companies have their websites listed there and many of them also list jobs available.  

Karma to you for having the foresight to plan ahead and ask questions.  Understand that while some of the answers might not seem to be helpful even those are.  How helpful they really are depends on how you take them.  It's a nuke habit to have a questioning attitude and many times see how much someone really wants something by seeing whether they answer or get defensive.  Answering is the best policy, because even if you feel foolishly initially you will get your question answered by some of the best in the industry.

Fortunately, while this is still true at some plants, it's not nearly as abusive as it was some years back.

On NukeWorker, it seems to be accepted in the 'Navy' section...and sometimes spills into the 'General' forum...  :/

« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2009, 12:43 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2009, 02:46 »

I assume you have explored any internships, work/study programs, etc that are available with Perry? 

Other than that, just get your resume tuned up & start submitting it to any companies you are interested in.  Yes, May is a long way off, but these companies can move slow...the sooner you start, the better.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2009, 06:16 »

Youknow not of what you speak. We have flushed many 4.0 degrees from the program, Best of luck but you are entering a pipeline that weeds out many intelligent people

eviljim35

« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2009, 07:21 »
Well I have learned this is a very tough crowd. Thanks to those who have answered my question. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated. I included a little about my background so that way if anyone could help me out, they would know a little about my history.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2009, 10:55 »
I'm new to the industry, so I was asking for help on what I should be doing at this point to start my career when I get done with school. I wasn't asking to be ridiculed for what school I can afford to go to. so if you have any good suggestions for me I would appreciate them.

Don't mind BZ - sometimes he hits a sharp rock coming out of his cave, and has to growl his way through the day - but it's OK, he can be very helpful once you listen over the growls....  ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Jr8black3

« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2009, 08:34 »
Evil. Nobody is tough in here, just everybody expresses their thoughts from experience,, trust me I've had good times and bad times it's tough living on the road and doing this job, and most of these people want to see the best of the best come on their site to support them,, and people willing to learn,,if your willing to learn, I'm sure you will find people to help you..

Jr..

PS never take a negative post as a negative,, they are just trying to teach you...

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2009, 05:44 »
because I know what I am capable of and know that I can do it.

I'll bet a years salary you can't pass a utility program easily. Your Nuclear Technology whatever is essentially uh useless and not an indicator as to what you'll score when the ball isn't placed on thew T for you.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2009, 01:13 »
Not to mention that during the 36 seconds, spouse/significant other/pet will resent that you only want to run and fetch that ball, and not making some time for them. Plus you got the flu/sprained your ankle on seconds 9,10 and 11...

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2009, 07:35 »
You also forgot to mention that the 300 yard string has 6,000 knots in it and is so frayed it is likely to break if anything heavier than a mosquito ends up in the bucket.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2009, 10:01 »
On what basis do you believe you can pass the tests easily? Your 3.9 average in some nickel/dime college is really meaningless.

Mike

yinz four got two call hymn a janitor.....
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Chimera

« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2009, 12:38 »

The successes in academia rarely survive their collision with real life.  Ask any engineer, doctor, or other profession.  That is the gist of most of the posts on this thread.  What can you do?  Be prepared for the worst and you will stand a chance of surviving the initial contact.  The same skills that helped you succeed in academia will help you in the real world.  The knowledge gained in academia may or may not be useful.  Be prepared to work your butt off to acquire all the knowledge that will be thrown at you.  That you can do well on a test is not necessarily a good indicator of how well you may do once outside of the classroom.  Illigimiti non carborundum.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?