Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu My son has no idea...

Author Topic: My son has no idea...  (Read 7541 times)

Sparky44

My son has no idea...
« on: Oct 04, 2009, 02:12 »
what he has got himself into to!!  First, I am no stranger to the Navy.  I served as an EM (1983-1989), married my husband who was a Seabee and just retired in 2003.  Our older son, Dave is a Seabee and stationed with NMCB 7.  Now, my youngest, Josh (18 next month) has enlisted into the Nuke program and is currently on DEP waiting to leave for BC next year.  You see Josh has always been smart... just lazy!  He scored a 94 on his asvab and his line scores were a 258 so he did not need to take the nuke test.  This is a kid who hated high school never really cared for the social groups he preferred his small group of computer gamer friends.  Josh slept most of the way through high school, hardly put any effort and still aced all of his tests!!  I know he is in over his head and I haven't slept a day since he went to MEPS.   

On the other hand, Josh needs a kick in the *** and I am certain the Navy will give it to him.  That being said, I am going to support Josh and I am proud of him.  I am just worried for him.  My husband keeps telling me to leave it be and that this could be a good thing for Josh.  Am I totally crazy or just an overly concerned Mom??  Were any of you like my son?  I am not sure how I could even prepare him for nuke school after looking over your forum. 

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: My son has no idea...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2009, 03:29 »
what he has got himself into to!!  First, I am no stranger to the Navy.  I served as an EM (1983-1989), married my husband who was a Seabee and just retired in 2003.  Our older son, Dave is a Seabee and stationed with NMCB 7.  Now, my youngest, Josh (18 next month) has enlisted into the Nuke program and is currently on DEP waiting to leave for BC next year.  You see Josh has always been smart... just lazy!  He scored a 94 on his asvab and his line scores were a 258 so he did not need to take the nuke test.  This is a kid who hated high school never really cared for the social groups he preferred his small group of computer gamer friends.  Josh slept most of the way through high school, hardly put any effort and still aced all of his tests!!  I know he is in over his head and I haven't slept a day since he went to MEPS.   

On the other hand, Josh needs a kick in the *** and I am certain the Navy will give it to him.  That being said, I am going to support Josh and I am proud of him.  I am just worried for him.  My husband keeps telling me to leave it be and that this could be a good thing for Josh.  Am I totally crazy or just an overly concerned Mom??  Were any of you like my son?  I am not sure how I could even prepare him for nuke school after looking over your forum. 

I was like your son.  The navy and the nuclear program turned me around. 

BTW, there is nothing wrong with a mother (or father) being overly concerned.  That is part of our job!!

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

itsaparent

« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2009, 05:44 »
A lot of brilliant people behave like your son because they are bored and need a challenge.  He has found a challenge and his star might shine.  My best advice as a parent is enjoy being proud of his choice.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2009, 05:45 by itsaparent »

BetaAnt

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2009, 06:29 »
It's almost like a mirror. :o But, my Mother was USMC and my Father was USN. I joined the Nuke program right after the Iranian hostage crisis (wonderful thing Jimmy Carter did, 10% unemployment, but the Navy was still hiring). It will be a shocker for you son in BC. They don't care if he is Rickover's grandson, he will get no slack. :( If he washes out ANYWHERE in the Nuke process (lack of effort, laziness, or stupidity), the Navy still owns him for six to eight years. And be sure to tell him, he will not see a dime of the Nuke bonus until he finishes prototype (all of it, including ELT or Nuke welding school) and reports to his first unit. IF HE SCREWS UP in the first year and gets de-nuked, he pays back the ENTIRE bonus (including the taxes he taken out) :'(

The good part, he will never see combat or be in a combat zone. If he is, it will only be as a bystander or the bottom has dropped out and we (the USA) are in a slugging match with Russia or China. If he is on a fast attack (SSN), he will outlive everyone (there is no better service in the Navy). Ballistic missile subs (SSBN) hide best, but when you launch, the whole world knows you are out there and can backtrack the missiles. Aircraft carriers are premier targets and may last, but doubtful (a 5 Mton warhead leaves a big hole in the ocean and there ain't no such thing as a near miss). 8)

Have him start planning for his future. Nuke plants are being built and the present manning of Sr. Reactor Operators is ancient (avg age 50). Tell him to work on college (get a degree) and take whatever he can. Get out after a second enlistment (or do twenty for the retirement and benefits) and go job hunting BEFORE EAOS. Join the American Nuclear Society and network, network, and did I mention, network. 8)

If he's smart and not a royal screw-up, he may get an opportunity and a career. If he's screw-up and stupid, the Navy has a very smart bilge rat to scrape and paint the missile absorbers (frigate screen around carriers). 8)

Give him a kiss on his way to BC and write often. Have Dad write honestly about the hazards of overseas ports of call. Keep his nose clean and always support him.

Best of luck and Good Journeys,

BA 8) 8) 8)

Chimera

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2009, 08:53 »
I, too, slept most of my way through high school.  To be honest, there wasn't much of a challenge there.  I slept most of the way through Electronics Technician "A" School, also.  Most of us who have gone through the Navy's nuclear program had no real idea what was in store for us when we first signed up. 

When I first started Nuclear Power School (class 69-3), I didn't like it.  I actually had to study - not only for myself but to help out some shipmates that were going through the school at the same time.  It wasn't until I went to prototype that it really became interesting.  It wasn't just that the theory was on a higher level, but the actual equipment was there to learn and learn from. 

While I'm sure my Division Officers, Engineers and COs might have a different opinion of me and my efforts back then, I enjoyed the Navy and the comradery of my fellow shipmates.  While there was no way I would have stayed in, the past 35 years have mellowed my outlook on the program.  I realize the program is different now than it was back then, but, as you well know, you get out of it what you put into it (as with all things).

Don't worry about him - well, not too much anyway.  He will grow.  He will learn.

Michael

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2009, 11:53 »
A lot of us had that wake up call when we started Nuke school. He will have plenty of opportunity to get up to speed, at least a good week. Like the rest of us, he should be pretty quick on the uptake.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Sparky44

« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2009, 06:50 »
Thank you all for your input.  BetaAnt your comment

If he's smart and not a royal screw-up, he may get an opportunity and a career. If he's screw-up and stupid, the Navy has a very smart bilge rat to scrape and paint the missile absorbers (frigate screen around carriers). Cool

made me laugh.  Only because I was 18 when I went to work as an EM on a sub tender and while we were in dry dock in Boston I got in trouble and spent a day in front of the Captain and then 30 days after that with a needlegun LOL....  Long story but let's just say underage drinking with my friends and woke up in the male barracks (completely dressed in my uniform) ready for mess cranking duty.  The mess hall was in the building that housed the male barracks and my friends thought if I slept there I wouldn't oversleep.  You should have seen my male crew members when they jumped out of bed in their undies to find me in a lower rack.  Then I had to explain this to my now husband!!!  The Captain had trouble keeping a straight face.   Eventually I had my record cleared for good behavior but ahh yes the joy of a needle gun.

Needless to say, yesterday Josh turned to me as we were talking and said "can't you just be happy for me?  Honestly, I know this is going to be hard but I can do it."  He then told me he is more afraid of the "peanut butter shot" they give you in BC.  Not sure what that is but okay.  I told him I was proud of him and that I will be here.

Honestly, all of your replies made me feel a little bit better.  They have begun to chip away at the not in my stomach. Thank you so much!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2009, 09:37 »

He then told me he is more afraid of the "peanut butter shot" they give you in BC.  Not sure what that is but okay. 

Cowpox. It makes a big mess for a few days, and leaves a small scar.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2009, 09:41 »
I was thinking it was some kind of snipe's hazing ritual

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2009, 10:22 »
If I remember correctly the "peanut butter shot" was the large dose of penicillian they give everyone(except those allergic to the -cillian family of anitbiotics) to basically destroy any creep and crud that 200 people from all over the US have brought with them to prevent widespread illness.  They give it to you in one of the posterior "cheeks" and the most common description was "a softball injected into your bum".  Luckily I didn't have to get it due to the aforementioned allergy, but everyone that I knew that got it complained about how sore and painful it was afterwards.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Sparky44

« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2009, 11:25 »
 I totally remember the shots.  Standing in line praying I wouldn't be one of the ones to faint.  We were at RTC in Orlando Florida (before it closed down).  I am almost positive I have a picture of me getting my shots in my BC year book... I have to dig it out and show Josh.  I totally remember just being in pain that day and the next couple of days getting the crud from all the vaccinations.  If I remember correctly it wasn't one of my best photos  ;) LOL

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2009, 11:35 »
I wanted to murder the tech that shoved that needle in my butt. It felt like he was purposely digging it around. :)

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2009, 09:38 »

I too was a Vietnam era Navy Nuke, fast attack subs, ELT. Depending on who you ask, it was either the best thing that could of happened to me or I'm some kind of whacked out nutjob. Depends.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2009, 11:57 »

Two flavors of Nukes. Those that could do well in college and could'nt afford it and those that could but were bored. Both will do equally well. The alternative of chipping paint off a flight deck can be a great motivator (at least in my case) Best choice I ever made.I get paid very well and every day is a challenge. Support him and let him know that it will be worth it in the end. A six figure salary is uncommon for recent college grads but not uncommon for a navy nuke.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?