Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Various NUPOC & Goose Creek Questions honeypot

Author Topic: Various NUPOC & Goose Creek Questions  (Read 22707 times)

Offline trillian

• Very Lite User
Various NUPOC & Goose Creek Questions
« on: Oct 14, 2009, 11:58 »
Hi!  My bf is finishing up his Masters and in the process of applying for NUPOC.  He met with the recruiter but of course he forgets lots of details ;)   I'm trying to get all the facts straight so we can make sure it is the best option for us.  I've done as much research as possible online but some things have been tough to find.  FYI - we plan on getting married, even if it is just a civil ceremony before he gets to Goose Creek

I apologize in advance if many of these questions have already been answered in the forums.  I attempted to do a large search on this site before posting.

Okay, so here are my questions:

1) Pay:  Online it says that 01 pay is $2,655.30 monthly, however, as a NUPOC SUB, isn't there an additional monthly amount received?

2) BAH/Housing: For Goose Creek the BAH is $1,220.  However, if you live off-base, can you apply this entire amount to rent + utilities?  Additionally, for anyone that has seen the base housing after it has been privatized, do you recommend living on or off base?  If you suggest living off base and have done so in the area, any recommendations?

3) Civilian Employment:  I have a Masters in Public Administration and have always worked in the gov't sector (local, state, fed, private gov't contracts, etc).  I have looked into the possibility of working as a Civilian Navy Employee on base with my MPA.  Is this a good idea considering one may move around a lot?  I'm trying to figure out what will happen with my career, as well. 

Any other advice for spouses/families of NUPOC would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for all your replies!!  This is a big step in our lives and I'd like to have all the information up front before deciding.  =]

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: Various NUPOC & Goose Creek Questions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2009, 12:58 »
BAH is what it is.  If you find a place for $700/month, you pocket the difference and do what you want with it.  If you live in governement furnished housing, you give your full BAH to the private company managing the housing.
As for a spouses career....well, lets just say my wife's career has been on hold for 22+ years now....and she's well educated.  Its tough moving from one place to the next and maintaining steady employment, particularly with private industry, unless you're in a high demand field like nursing.  As for state, local, or federal government employees, her experience is that there has to be an opening for you at the next duty station or too bad, so sad, go find another job.  Although most of these jobs ask if you are the spouse of a military member during the application process, we haven't seen any evidence that preferential treatment is given in the hiring process.  Best of luck.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline trillian

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2009, 01:07 »
Thanks for the info! 

As for the employment, that's kind of what I figured.  In the past, I have done website work.  I wanted to know what it would be like in case I should look into doing websites from home that would fit the lifestyle better.  My man says I don't have to work but from my research, I've been told that O-1 pay doesn't get you too far without your spouse working.

Offline Jeff J

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2009, 01:31 »
I did the NUPOC program a long time ago, so I am not sure if it exactly the same now or what.  To really take advantage of the NUPOC program, you have to join after your sophomore year, not while finishing up your masters.  That is because as soon as you join, you start getting paid and you accrue leave time and you get all the USN benefits.  I had 90 days of leave on the books, 50K in the bank, and no college debt before I even stepped foot on a Navy base.

1.) pay - I do not remember getting any extra pay as an O-1 until I got to sea.  There was a sign on bonus paid in cash when I joined and another bonus when finishing the nuclear training.  The pay was not extravagant, but I do not remember wanting for anything or worrying about how I would pay the bills.
2.) BAH - I lived on base before it was privatized.  It was close to work and I could walk from my front door to the training center before finishing a single smoke.  The BAH is usually enough to live in a normal house using normal amounts of utilities.  They add VHA in expensive areas (like DC) but not in Goose Creek.
3.)  My wife and I were married on the weekend between OCS and NPS.  It is hard on a new marriage and new family.  My wife learned to be independent.  She was never able to have a career even though she went to college.  You did not mention OCS in your post, but it is a 4 month program before Goose Creek.  My fiance and I talked on the phone maybe once a week and saw each other once during that 4 month period.  This was before the days of cell phones and emails though.  I am not sure how it would be if you were married before OCS.  I was married after OCS.

Offline trillian

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2009, 11:28 »
Thanks, Jeff!  We know that it is a bit late to take full advantage of the program.  However, he had a good FT job up until recently when he was laid off.  Now, the poor economy has opened a door for other opportunities such as NUPOC.

1) The recruiter told him that since he would be on a sub, he would get an extra monthly income.  Perhaps it was a misunderstanding for only when he is out to sea.  I didn't know about the training bonus, thanks for the info!

2) From what I've read on the forum here, it seems best to live on base.

3) We both assumed that I wouldn't be able to go with him to OCS regardless.  Maybe that was a poor assumption?   Looks like I need to find a work-from-home career based on these responses!

JsonD13

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2009, 12:17 »
From what I understand as masters should net you O-2 pay if it is a related degree.  I was looking into joining the Army as a health physicist prior to leaving the Navy and they had told me if I was able to get over there I would get O-2.

I think I wouldve liked being an officer, but its much better being out and being home every night with my family.

Jason

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2009, 02:57 »
From what I understand as masters should net you O-2 pay if it is a related degree.
Jason

Wrong....

I have known lots of Ensigns that had advanced degrees.
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2009, 03:11 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2009, 03:14 »
Thanks, Jeff!  We know that it is a bit late to take full advantage of the program.  However, he had a good FT job up until recently when he was laid off.  Now, the poor economy has opened a door for other opportunities such as NUPOC.

1) The recruiter told him that since he would be on a sub, he would get an extra monthly income.  Perhaps it was a misunderstanding for only when he is out to sea.  I didn't know about the training bonus, thanks for the info!
If you are a submarine officer, you get sub pay effective the day you start nuclear power school

2) From what I've read on the forum here, it seems best to live on base.
bonus, thanks for the info!
Probably is...you'll see each other more often then if you live out on the town...I went home everyday for lunch with my wife while I was a student

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Samabby

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2009, 04:39 »
try www.submarinewivesclub.org for the ladies point of view. They know everything about everything. ;)

JsonD13

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2009, 01:12 »
Wrong....

I have known lots of Ensigns that had advanced degrees.

I double checked the MILPERSMAN, your'e right about the nuke program.  However, Medical Service Corps (radiation health officers and other specialty officers fall under this) commissions based upon education (i.e. O-2 for masters, O-3 for PhD).

Jason

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2009, 04:22 »
I double checked the MILPERSMAN, your'e right about the nuke program.  However, Medical Service Corps (radiation health officers and other specialty officers fall under this) commissions based upon education (i.e. O-2 for masters, O-3 for PhD).

Jason

OK...but the gal wasn't asking about staff corps officer billets...she was enquiring about submarine officer for her fiance. 

In the future, try not to put bad gouge out to the new folks.

Cheers,
GC

Squidtoxic

« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2010, 08:51 »
Hi guys. I am a current college student about to finish my associates degree in engineering and i've been in the dep program since Feb. 3 waiting to get started with nuclear power school. I leave on Nov. 8. I recently learned about the NUPOC program and my eyes nearly popped out i was so excited. I'm a little uneasy about applying though. My college GPA is at 2.7 and iv'e already signed to go enlisted. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I'm competitive enough to apply and/or if i can apply to this program sometime during the nuclear training pipeline and how?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2010, 09:37 »
Hi guys. I am a current college student about to finish my associates degree in engineering and i've been in the dep program since Feb. 3 waiting to get started with nuclear power school. I leave on Nov. 8. I recently learned about the NUPOC program and my eyes nearly popped out i was so excited. I'm a little uneasy about applying though. My college GPA is at 2.7 and iv'e already signed to go enlisted. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I'm competitive enough to apply and/or if i can apply to this program sometime during the nuclear training pipeline and how?

2.7 GPA is not competitive.   

3.50 GPA in a technical field is competitive.

You cannot apply for NUPOC once you are in the training pipeline.

Cheers,
GC

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:12 »
My college GPA is at 2.7 and iv'e already signed to go enlisted. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I'm competitive enough to apply and/or if i can apply to this program sometime during the nuclear training pipeline and how?
NR basically uses a go/no-go GPA point regarding whether you get to interview in DC...my guess with the current economy is that a 2.7 is a no-go, even though you technically meet the GPA requirement.

What requirement you definitely don't meet is having or being enrolled in a Bachelor's program.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:24 »
NR basically uses a go/no-go GPA point regarding whether you get to interview in DC...my guess with the current economy is that a 2.7 is a no-go, even though you technically meet the GPA requirement.

A 2.7 GPA would never get an interview for NUPOC in any economy.

Cheers,
GC
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:25 by Gamecock »

co60slr

« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:54 »
i've been in the dep program since Feb. 3 waiting to get started with nuclear power school.
Regardless of the NUPOC probability factors provided, your immediately goal should be to get greater than 2.7 (i.e., your current GPA) on this task:  Enlisted NPS.   If you don't give 110% and get a high GPA in the Navy, you won't have to worry about being an enlisted nuke, any Commissioning Program, let alone NUPOC.

There are ways to achieve your long-term goal.   All of them depend on the short-term one before you and proving that you've learned something from your 2.7 GPA experience.

Good luck!

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jul 15, 2010, 11:04 »
A 2.7 GPA would never get an interview for NUPOC in any economy.

Cheers,
GC
I know USNA grads with 2.7 gpa's in poly sci and economics who would disagree with you. However, they also didn't make it through the training program.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2010, 11:20 »
I know USNA grads with 2.7 gpa's in poly sci and economics who would disagree with you. However, they also didn't make it through the training program.

You are talking apples and oranges......

We will grant interviews to NROTC and USNA folks with lower GPAs.  

NUPOC is not the same program.

I'll let you look up what the differences are.

Cheers,
GC
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 11:21 by Gamecock »

Offline owsi84621

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #18 on: Jul 16, 2010, 06:55 »
Housing... I currently live three miles from base housing. It is good housing and is being updated. They have recently gotten rid of several units that were no longer usable by the commisary. Employment... It is at best spotty. There are alot of hospitals, schools, and currently Boeing building in the area. I wish you luck in your future life. C

Offline USNGreaseMonkey

• Lurker
« Reply #19 on: Jul 26, 2010, 11:07 »
Having been in the old and new housing as well as the local apartments my advice is if you can get into one of the newly constructed houses do it they are very nice and spacious enough if you plan on starting a family right away.  However if you cannot get into the new housing there are plenty of apartments within 1 mile of the base that are fairly cheap 600-800 a month.

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Jul 31, 2010, 01:26 »
The newly constructed houses on base are okay, but not nearly as nice as what you can find in town for the same price (including utilities).  We moved off base six months ago and couldn't be happier.  Bigger house (not duplex), huge private yard, nobody singing cadence at 0500...and it only takes an extra 5-10 mins to get to work.
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2010, 06:05 »
You are talking apples and oranges......

We will grant interviews to NROTC and USNA folks with lower GPAs.  

NUPOC is not the same program.

I'll let you look up what the differences are.

Cheers,
GC
I am aware of what the differences are. The competitive profile for a person in any designator is going to change depending on the number and quality of applicants at the time, along with the need for personnel in the Navy. It is entirely possible that if there is a shortage of nukes that a 2.7 gpa would be accepted into NUPOC, although this is not the case in 2010.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #22 on: Aug 02, 2010, 08:16 »
I am aware of what the differences are. The competitive profile for a person in any designator is going to change depending on the number and quality of applicants at the time, along with the need for personnel in the Navy. It is entirely possible that if there is a shortage of nukes that a 2.7 gpa would be accepted into NUPOC, although this is not the case in 2010.

No, we won't. 
There will never be a shortage of folks applying for NUPOC.  It is the best program out there for commissioning.  Free college...E5 pay (at least)...leave accrual...bonus money

Cheers,
GC

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2010, 12:25 »
No, we won't.  
There will never be a shortage of folks applying for NUPOC.  It is the best program out there for commissioning.  Free college...E5 pay (at least)...leave accrual...bonus money

Cheers,
GC
The "best" is subjective; for people who don't want to serve on board submarines or be nukes, NUPOC isn't good at all.

NUPOC also does not give you free college. You can choose to use your E-5 pay + BAH toward paying college bills, or you could take loans and blow it all on hookers and blow. Additionally, you will probably have two years of college debt to pay off at least by the time you get into the program. If you want free college, you will have to attend USNA or get a NROTC scholarship. But that's one of those differences in the programs that you were lecturing about, isn't it?

There are multiple BDCP programs for other designators. While they pay E-3 + BAH instead of E-5 + BAH, all the other benefits are the same re: leave accrual, AD time in service, medical benefits, and base privileges.

The point is never say never. NUPOC is not the only collegiate OCS program out there, and the idea of spending 6 consecutive months in a 300 ft tube underwater standing 3 section watch in a 5x5' box plus additional short underways is a lot less appealing to the public than you make it out to be.
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2010, 12:27 by spekkio »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #24 on: Aug 02, 2010, 02:21 »
The "best" is subjective; for people who don't want to serve on board submarines or be nukes, NUPOC isn't good at all.

NUPOC also does not give you free college. You can choose to use your E-5 pay + BAH toward paying college bills, or you could take loans and blow it all on hookers and blow. Additionally, you will probably have two years of college debt to pay off at least by the time you get into the program. If you want free college, you will have to attend USNA or get a NROTC scholarship. But that's one of those differences in the programs that you were lecturing about, isn't it?

There are multiple BDCP programs for other designators. While they pay E-3 + BAH instead of E-5 + BAH, all the other benefits are the same re: leave accrual, AD time in service, medical benefits, and base privileges.

The point is never say never. NUPOC is not the only collegiate OCS program out there, and the idea of spending 6 consecutive months in a 300 ft tube underwater standing 3 section watch in a 5x5' box plus additional short underways is a lot less appealing to the public than you make it out to be.

Seems like you are going out of your way to try to prove me wrong or to push my buttons. 

Since this is nukeworker.com and the navynuke section, and not Supplyofficer.com or civilengineer.com, or any other navy.BDCP.com website, I tend to focus my responses to programs and issues that affect nuclear officers. 

Feel free to contact me via PM if you want to continue this "discussion."

Cheers,
GC

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?