Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Money Management

Author Topic: Money Management  (Read 3852 times)

R(c)

Money Management
« on: Oct 25, 2009, 04:27 »
My son ships out in November and i am afraid that he does not know enough about money management.  I have asked him many questions that he doesn't know the answers and this doesn't seem to concern him.  so i understand that he will be payed twice a month.

1 how will he pay for food and housing are these covered in his benefits? what costs are covered by the navy?
2 when he is out of school where will he live? will he need to pay for housing or is it given to him?
3 he has talked about finishing a degree while he is in the navy. will the navy cover the costs for his classes?
i have many more questions that ill post up after the first few are answered

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Money Management
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2009, 04:42 »
My son ships out in November and i am afraid that he does not know enough about money management.  I have asked him many questions that he doesn't know the answers and this doesn't seem to concern him.  so i understand that he will be payed twice a month.

1 how will he pay for food and housing are these covered in his benefits? what costs are covered by the navy?
2 when he is out of school where will he live? will he need to pay for housing or is it given to him?
3 he has talked about finishing a degree while he is in the navy. will the navy cover the costs for his classes?
i have many more questions that ill post up after the first few are answered

1.  He will eat his meals in the mess hall.....if he chooses to not at at the chow hall, he'll pay out of pocket.  There will come a time when he will be given a food allowance, but you don't have to worry about that for a while.  He'll live in a barracks room until he finishes nuclear power school.  Then, he'll have to get his own apartment....he will be given a housing allowance when he has to get his own place.
2.  When he is out of school, he'll likely live on the ship if he is surface, or in a barracks room if he is subs.
3.  The navy will cover the cost of classes...however, he'll not have time to pursue off duty education for a long time.

By the way, most folks won't mind answering your questions, but if you want quicker answers then waiting for some to reply, do a forum search in the navy section.  You'll find lots of good answers if you look.

Good luck to your son,
GC
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2009, 04:48 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2009, 04:44 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2009, 08:11 »
R(c),

Did not the recruiter explain all these things to your son? Whether your son has the acumen for money management isn't the root problem in this case--it's the lack of leadership on the part of the recruiter.

As a dad you need to sit him down, give him your laundry list of questions, tell him these are his first lookups (look elsewhere in forums to learn how funny that pun was), and that he needs to get back to you within 42 hours. When he asks you why 42 hours--tell him that is the answer to the meaning of life.

deltarho
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

IPREGEN

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2009, 12:14 »
Time for decaf delatrho.
You probably remember how accountable you were to your parents way back. So Dad has reasonable questions and this is the right place.

Yes, I do know that almost every question is already located here on the forum, but times change and sometimes the answers will too.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2009, 12:21 »
I was helping him to rip a new one in his son...dads thrive on that.

Time for decaf delatrho.
You probably remember how accountable you were to your parents way back. So Dad has reasonable questions and this is the right place.

Yes, I do know that almost every question is already located here on the forum, but times change and sometimes the answers will too.

The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?