Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Waivers  

Author Topic: Waivers  (Read 7417 times)

morgan1575

Waivers
« on: Oct 26, 2009, 10:28 »
Hello all..

Long time lurker, first time poster... heh..

I guess this post is about all the waivers that one needs to get in and the chances of getting them.

You see I got expelled from High School so the only to join the Navy in the advanced programs (or at all I later came to find out) was by having 15 college credits. So I went ahead and got those credits, but because my ASVAB qualified me for the Nuke program I then needed a non-conventional education waiver to get into that program. This was because I did not complete High School. So that has been done after a couple troubles and many delays.

Then the recruiting in my area had been put on hold for a month because of over manning in the Navy. Now things are moving again and my recruiter has come to me with some more paperwork problems. I had to take the Nuke test during this time as my recruiter requested to make sure no other problems showed up by chance because of my education.

I was all set to go to MEPS next Monday night and Tuesday day and get it all set up. Only now because of a purchase that has been put into collections 4 years ago and since been paid on I need a credit waiver approval. How hard is it to get a credit waiver and has anyone else gotten one before?

My recruiter said if it doesn't get approved wait for my wife to finish college pay off some of my other credit cards and then reapply for that job. In the meantime though he said because of the delays between signing on and shipping out just sign another contract and then keep trying to change it while in DEP. There was another DEPper who just did the same thing that was in the office when I went in, but is this normal? The man in the office just had to pay off something he had in collections before being reconsidered for the job and had since requested and received the Nuke job. Ideas? Encouragement?

He said as a last ditch effort, even if I am not approved for change enlist then change it while serving out my other job 2 years down the line to the Nuke program, but I also wonder if that is worth it considering all I will be giving up prior to joining Nuke (sign on bonus, higher rank, etc.).

Anything would be great to hear, thanks.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2009, 03:31 by morgan1575 »

Fermi2

Re: Waivers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2009, 12:10 »
Once again, using paragraphs, capitalization and English please!

Mike
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2009, 03:54 by Broadzilla »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2009, 01:15 »
Um... what?

Let me see if I was able to glean the correct information out of your post.

You were kicked out of school, therefore no diploma.

You don't pay your bills.

You want encouragement or ideas on how to get into the nuke program.

Is that about right?

If so, here are my recommendations;

1) Get into a GED program, and focus on your English skills. I don't pretend that I know perfect grammar, but I can at least construct a sentence or paragraph that makes sense. Yours on the other hand, did not.

2) Pay your bills. Stop buying crap you neither need nor can afford.

3) Enlist in another field, and forget about nuke.

Sorry, I normally don't do this, but I don't believe you have the "right stuff" to be a nuke at this time. 50 quatloos against...

Justin

« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2009, 03:08 by JustinHEMI »

BuddyThePug

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2009, 01:40 »
A snappy salute for our newest Boatswain's Mate Seaman Apprentice.... Morgan1575!

co60slr

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2009, 06:54 »
Once again, using paragraphs, capitalization and English please!

Mike
Why would you want to hear another "can I get a waiver" saga restated using perfect grammer?   Do you really need the Poster to resubmit that story, or do you think we were all able to gleen enough from his Soap Opera to mark the post as "read" and simply move on?  The fact that he was unable to successfully construct a paragraph was just another indicator, in my opinion.

Co60

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2009, 07:09 »
Why would you want to hear another "can I get a waiver" saga restated using perfect grammer?   Do you really need the Poster to resubmit that story, or do you think we were all able to gleen enough from his Soap Opera to mark the post as "read" and simply move on?  The fact that he was unable to successfully construct a paragraph was just another indicator, in my opinion.

Co60

It's the Shift Manager in me I guess!

Mike

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2009, 10:51 »
If I'm not mistaken, it is much harder to get your clearance to go to power school than it is just to get cleared to get into the Navy.  My ex-husband was put on hold for almost a year while trying to get his clearance because of a bounced check and missed rent payment in the few months before he enlisted.  You don't say why you were expelled from school, but I would imagine that it will probably delay your clearance.

I would listen to your recruiter and work on paying off your debt.  If you have paid off your collections, you need to contact all the credit agencies and make sure your credit report shows it.

If you aren't willing to be in the Navy as a non-nuke, do NOT sign a contract with the hopes of changing it later.  Sure, you might be able to get it changed, but given the issues you've had so far, I wouldn't count on it.  Also, are you only wanting to join the Navy and the nuke program for the enlistment bonus?  It will be at least a year before you see any of that money, much longer if you are on hold because you can't get your clearance. 

My two cents here -- if you really want to be in the Navy, get your life together, debts paid off, etc. and THEN try to get into the nuke program.  It might take a couple years of work, but in my opinion, it's worth it.
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

co60slr

« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2009, 11:12 »
It's the Shift Manager in me I guess!

Mike
Ah...I get it now.  Any incorrect grammar in the "Navy: Getting In" forum section is a Limited Condition of Operation governed by an NRC License.   

Techical Specification:  Once a grammar error has been identified during a surveillance, the poster has 15 minutes to correct the condition, or be "shutdown" by a Shift Manager passing by.   :-)

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2009, 01:02 »
In the meantime though he said because of the delays between signing on and shipping out just sign another contract and then keep trying to change it while in DEP.... He said as a last ditch effort, even if I am not approved for change enlist then change it while enlisted to the Nuke program, but I also wonder if that is worth it considering all I will be giving up prior to joining Nuke (sign on bonus, higher rank, etc.).

Yea....uh, don't do that unless you're ready to be committed to whatever job you sign up for in the interim.

Anything would be great to hear, thanks.

No problem....

IPREGEN

« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:06 »
Do not join unless it is for the program you want. The chance of getting anything changed after you sign up is slim. Let the recruiter take care of everything before you enlist.

morgan1575

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2009, 03:23 »
My apologies for much of the confusion as after re-reading my post I can see that it would cause much. I will add more as there have been some questions.

First, I have received my GED and have been enrolled in college, that is not an issue. The 15 college credits that I needed has been surpassed to the tune of 25. So schooling is not the issue as that has been taken care.

The item in collections, not that you care, but rather because you would rather accuse me, was purchased by my grandfather who I let use my credit card. Yes stupid, but it was it is. I have already contacted the company and am making payments on it now, but thank you for that advice anyway. The credit cards are all in good standing, with low balances and monthly payments. They were used while my wife is finishing her own schooling.

I went to MEPs today and knocked my physical out with success. While there is spoke with many people pertaining to these issues, and they seem to all believe that I should be good to go after they had me sign some other things and create a handwritten statement about it and such. They have all confirmed what was said, and it appears to be a no issue at this point with getting accepted to the nuke program.

I was expelled for a stupid act in school by writing some threatening things in a notebook. That has taken more time than anything else to get waivers for since I was taken to the police station. Just like the other problems though talking to the people at MEPs it is all cleared once my recruiter receives a D-term (correct spelling and punctuation?) back. They say this should be it.

The other big issue right now is waiting for me to go back up there and as my recruiter is currently being told to wait until next month for anyone to sign a contract from this area. He plans to take me up there next week assuming he gets my D-term back.

Yes, those two registered hours reading were pertaining to these things. A shame though that I did not register sooner as I have been reading on this forum for a couple weeks gathering information to ask my recruiter about things he had given me some wrong advice on, so thank you all for that.

Joining the Navy has nothing to do with the enlistment bonus, I have no need of it with a wife that is a MST and going to school to be an RN and graduates this spring (With a 3.97 GPA to boot)! It is something I have always wanted to do, just was waiting for my wife to finish her schooling. The time has to be right you know? The bonus was just something to consider.

I don't want to just enlist for something that I might not like. Reading about all Navy programs, the Nuke program interested me as did a couple other jobs.

Sorry for not writing in correct grammar or punctuation earlier. I did not re read my post or anything of such, do let me know if this is better.

Cute about the shift manager remarks, I employ shift managers who have to report to me as well as assistant managers and a staff of 55 employees. In context to the "Yes sir" comment, I do that with my bosses all the time, not concerned about it.

For the record, people from Chicago are much more tenacious as I have lived all across Illinois and parts of Michigan.

I do believe that I addressed all feedback and questions so I can receive more help.

Thank again to everyone for whatever advice was and is given.

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2009, 03:32 by morgan1575 »

morgan1575

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2009, 03:47 »
Thank you for the reply. I will surely keep all people updated. I am sad however to see your other post be "purged" as it would surely be one of the replies I would look to for help should anything else come up or not go according to plan.

Thank you again.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2009, 12:36 »
Thanks for the update and corrections. Goodluck.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2009, 01:11 »
You old timers need to shift your priorities around, how about advice instead of "give up" speeches? Im manning 3 section duty on a carrier because we dont have enough people.

Morgan -> I was in a similar situation as you. I graduated high school with a 2.34, had SERIOUS medical issues, and had a similar credit problem as you. I am living proof that if you want it, you can get it. Now, here's the hard part -> You need to make damn sure you are ready for this commitment. The recruiters can tweak the paper work and work on waivers and get you in some way or another, but they cant keep you in. ESPECIALLY with you being married, you need to understand that your life is going to suck. You will spend countless hours studying, trying to cram stupid crap in your brain, balancing BMR into it, then go home for the day and deal with all the crap there. You will here a phrase "Oh it gets better in A-school"... "oh it gets better in power school/prototype/fleet"... Im here to tell you, it doesnt. You get more and more responsibility shoved in your face the further you move along. You need to be prepared to make the emotional as well as physical commitment to the navy.

withroaj

« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2009, 02:31 »
...And for what it's worth the Navy is about 1% as dramatic as the above post makes it sound.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2009, 05:48 »
...And for what it's worth the Navy is about 1% as dramatic as the above post makes it sound.

you apparently arent on my boat :D   I will be out to sea 15 of 24 months. Not to mention 3 section duty the whole time.

edit : to be fair, each person seems to go through a different navy then the person next to them.

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2009, 05:49 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline LT Dan

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2009, 06:05 »
you apparently arent on my boat :D   I will be out to sea 15 of 24 months. Not to mention 3 section duty the whole time.

edit : to be fair, each person seems to go through a different navy then the person next to them.

Suck it up, shipmate.  I've known folks that had a far worse rotation then what you are complaining about.
_____________________________ _____________________________ _____________________________ ___

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?