Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu No college credit for Power School?
honeypot

Author Topic: No college credit for Power School?  (Read 26486 times)

marfedup

No college credit for Power School?
« on: Oct 26, 2009, 11:55 »
Has anybody else run into issue with ACE Credit Evaluations on their Smart Transcripts? 

Checking over my Smart Transcript, Nuke School was listed as unevaluated by ACE therefore no college credit recommended.  Apparently, according to the ACE website anybody who graduated from power school during 10/08-05/09 completed an unevaluated version of nuke school. 

So does that mean all of 805, 806, and 901 get no college credit recommendations?

http://www.militaryguides.acenet.edu/ShowAceCourses.asp?aceid=NV-1732-0026

co60slr

Re: No college credit for Power School?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2009, 05:30 »
Has anybody else run into issue with ACE Credit Evaluations on their Smart Transcripts? 

Checking over my Smart Transcript, Nuke School was listed as unevaluated by ACE therefore no college credit recommended.  Apparently, according to the ACE website anybody who graduated from power school during 10/08-05/09 completed an unevaluated version of nuke school. 

So does that mean all of 805, 806, and 901 get no college credit recommendations?

http://www.militaryguides.acenet.edu/ShowAceCourses.asp?aceid=NV-1732-0026
I followed your link to the ACE website....what does the last paragraph "Credit Recommendation" mean?  I few minor changes perhaps, but it still seems to suggest that credit is being awarded.   

?

Chimera

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2009, 09:44 »
Apparently, the Navy made some changes to the curriculum that have not yet been reviewed.

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2009, 10:32 »
I followed your link to the ACE website....what does the last paragraph "Credit Recommendation" mean? 

Credit recommendation means that the school/program you are getting your degree from has discretion as to how many credits in what area they will reward.  For instance, they recommend 3 credits for applied thermodynamics for machinists mates, yet my school didn't give me credit for it because the school had more stringent requirements than the navy for that class.  Also, at my school, different majors awarded different credits.  The chemistry department gave me 23 credits, I think, while the mechanical engineering department gave me 4 credits. 

The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

marfedup

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2009, 12:38 »
According to the Navy College Office, if you graduated Nuke School between 11/08-04/09 will not get any ACE credits. 

Does this mean that no college will give you credit for power school, or that your smart transcript simply won't show anything for power school?

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2009, 12:41 »
Give it a little time.  This isn't the first time the curriculum has changed.  I'm sure they'll get the ACE stuff out soon.

If they end up not giving any credit for it, then they've dumbed the program down so far that it's not even funny...
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline 98camarod

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2011, 05:23 »
Let's bump this back up. Has anyone found out any information? Version 1: 1/90–10/08. Version 2: 5/09–Present.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2011, 04:20 »
Louisiana state university, western michigan university, michigan state, tesc have all offered me varying credits from power school/prototype. I went through p school in 06.

Tesc offered the most (65ish?), LSU offered the least (28, applied this year). All were engineering/tech degrees.

edit:

==College equivalence==
The [[American Council on Education]] has evaluated the course of instruction at NNPTC and recommended the following credits be given for completion of the enlisted curriculum:<ref name ="American Council on Education Evaluation of NNPTC">[http://militaryguides.acenet.edu/ShowAceCourses.asp?aceid=NV-1732-0026 ACE Military Guide | Course Exhibit<!-- Bot generated title -->]</ref>

*5 hours in general physics
*3 hours in heat transfer and fluid flow
*3 hours in nuclear reactor engineering
*1 hour in atomic and nuclear physics
*1 hour in radiation protection technology
*3 hours in general chemistry and principles of materials
*4 hours in technical mathematics.

Additionally, for Machinist's Mates
*3 hours in applied thermodynamics and heat transfer
*3 hours in power plant systems
*3 hours in basic electricity

For Electronics Technicians and Electrician's Mates
*2 hours in hydraulic systems
*2 hours in DC circuits
*2 hours in AC circuits
*2 hours in digital principles
*2 hours in electric machines

Several universities offer graduate level credit for completion of the officer training course
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2011, 04:37 by Starkist »

Offline 98camarod

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2011, 09:14 »
I'd be more interested in the online colleges like Thomas Edison. I'm still enlisted and can't really attend a university

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2011, 06:31 »
I'd be more interested in the online colleges like Thomas Edison. I'm still enlisted and can't really attend a university

Plenty (here too) have done it.... Thomas Edison offers a ton of credits, enrolls for cheap, and you have tuition assistance. "git r' done!"

Offline 98camarod

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2011, 03:32 »
Plenty (here too) have done it.... Thomas Edison offers a ton of credits, enrolls for cheap, and you have tuition assistance. "git r' done!"

Were they from the specified power school classes?

drayer54

« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2011, 08:26 »
Were they from the specified power school classes?
Classes from like CMR or like 0504?

PM if you have questions on what universities will accept, using the GI bill on active duty, tuition assistance, and different options as I have explored this and spent countless hours working on the topic for myself.

I also maxed out TA for 2 years in a row and had to switch over to the GI BIll to keep going in order to finish.

IPREGEN

« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2011, 11:18 »
There are always the CLEP exams. You may be surprised with how much you know and get credit for it.
http://clep.collegeboard.org/

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2011, 03:39 »
For a Nuke MM these are the credits suggested

4 -> power systems engineering
4 -> steam turbine technology or equivalent
3 -> marine engineering
5 -> power systems maintenance
2 -> applied computer technology
2 -> blue print reading
3-> hydraulics/pnuematics
3 -> pollution control
3 -> fire safety
2 -> personnel supervision
3 -> records management
3 -> diesel maintenance
3 -> refrigeration
2 -> records keeping

1 -> swimming

5 -> physics
3 -> heat xfer
3 -> fluid flow dynamics
3 -> reactor engineering
3 -> nuclear engineering
1 -> atomic physics
1 -> nuclear physics
1 -> radiation protection
3 -> general chemistry
3 -> material science
4 -> technical math
3 -> applied thermodynamics
3 -> applied heat transfer
3 -> power plant systems
3 -> electricity
2 -> hydraulic systems
2 -> DC circuits
2 -> AC circuits
2 -> electric machines

Im unsure how they make their decisions on what does and doesnt get pulled into your college of choice, so YMMV.

Other things give more credits

i.e.

Quality assurance gives several credits on QA Stuff, Safety NEC offers me a few safety and management credits etc etc...

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2011, 02:38 »
had to get another smart transcript for college application, and turns out they offer EVEN MORE credits now. Heres the break down for a MMN2. Id imagine comparable credits (more so even) for the other rates. ELT's get more for chemistry as well.

Personal Conditioning 1
Personal/Community Health 1
Basic Machinery 3
Mechanical Systems 2
Ac Circuits 2
Applied Thermodynamics And Heat Transfer (Machinist's Mate) 3
Atomic And Nuclear Physics 1
Basic Electricity 3
Dc Circuits  2
Digital Principles 2
Electric Machines 2
General Chemistry And Principles Of Materials 3
General Physics 5
Heat Transfer And Fluid Flow 3
Hydraulic Systems 2
Nuclear Reactor Engineering 3
Power Plant Systems 3
Radiation Protection Technology 1
Technical Mathematics 4
Communications 3
Health Physics 3
Mechanical Systems 3
Nuclear Power Plant Operation 6
Blueprint Reading 1
Introduction to Marine Engineering 3
Swimming (Qualified Swimmer First Class Only) 1
Applied Computer Technology 1
Basic Marine Engineering 3
Blueprint Reading 1
Power Systems Engineering (Steam Turbines) 3
Power Systems Maintenance 3
Basic Hydraulics And Pneumatics 3
Boiler Maintenance And Repair (MM Surface) 3
Computer Applications 3
Hazardous Materials 3
Mechanical Systems 3
Mechanical Systems Troubleshooting 3
Personnel Supervision 3

sub mechanics get HVAC stuff too -.-

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2011, 03:00 by Starkist »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2011, 04:56 »
You used to get recommended credits for advancement, taking the exam and for NLTC (which might be why the MMN2 had more).

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2011, 04:59 »
You used to get recommended credits for advancement, taking the exam and for NLTC (which might be why the MMN2 had more).

what in gods name are you talking about? lol :p

AbidingProduce

« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:55 »
As much as I hate to revive a dead topic, I feel it's necessary.

I've been working with various contacts to fix this. Everyone in those three classes 0805-0901) should have their SMART transcripts updated. Their solution was to change the graduation year, so you may notice that you graduated NPTU in 2009, but graduated NPS in 2010. Do not try to fix it.

Also, check your NPTU credits and compare them to the military ACE guide. If you only have 3 credits in nuclear power plant operations, or any of the others don't match, contact your Virtual Education Center. This is an issue that may be widespread, or just several isolated cases, but is a relatively easy fix regardless.

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:28 »
So I graduated from class 0806 and am receiving my Thomas Edison degree on the 14th.  My Power School class was not initially on my SMART transcript and I had to go through a fairly painful process of reminding the Navy that I graduated (had to find documentation, the fact I had an NEC didn't help).  Afterwards I had to deal with Thomas Edison directly through email.  I did not initially receive credit for these classes, so I sent an email that essentially said: I know that Excelsior is giving credit for individuals in this situation and I would hope that you wouldn't academically penalize me for something outside of my control.  Pretty passive-aggressive, I know.  But they gave me my credit,

So the short answer, you won't initially get credit but if you talk to the school they will give it to you.

AbidingProduce

« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:32 »
Yeah, I went through the same thing, but hopefully now others will have an easier time. It might be worth resubmitting your SMART. Even if none of the new credits apply, they will still appear at the bottom of your TESC transcript with the other credits that you earned but aren't using.

Edit: Also, if someone from NPS classes 0805-0901 can check their smart and verify they have all the correct credits so I can bring up issues while problem is in the spotlight, I'd appreciate it. I don't need specifics or any personal information, just if it's correct or if something is missing.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2012, 10:55 by AbidingProduce »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?