Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu POSS Test Score Transfer? Bad or Good Idea

Author Topic: POSS Test Score Transfer? Bad or Good Idea  (Read 21285 times)

ashr0286

POSS Test Score Transfer? Bad or Good Idea
« on: Oct 29, 2009, 10:50 »
So I passed a POSS exam w/ a nuclear power company and interviewed which went well but it will be a few weeks before I find out if I'll get a job offer.  Would it be a bad idea to have the test score transferred to another nuclear power company and interview with them while I wait on the original company that I passed the POSS with that way I don't have to take the test again?  Or would that look bad?  I'm trying to keep my options open in case the first job doesn't call me with an offer because there's no guarantee. Thanks for the input. 

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: POSS Test Score Transfer? Bad or Good Idea
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:12 »
Companies don't as a habit give POSS test scores to other companies. 

This forum has a lot of discussion on the POSS and other tests:http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,250.0.html

There are a lot of subjects on there and if I find a specific thread discussing your question I'll be sure to post it here for you and others.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2009, 06:52 »
So I passed a POSS exam w/ a nuclear power company and interviewed which went well but it will be a few weeks before I find out if I'll get a job offer.  Would it be a bad idea to have the test score transferred to another nuclear power company and interview with them while I wait on the original company that I passed the POSS with that way I don't have to take the test again?  Or would that look bad?  I'm trying to keep my options open in case the first job doesn't call me with an offer because there's no guarantee. Thanks for the input. 

Yes, it would look bad.  (...even if they would consider sharing the results, which is doubtful...)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline CJewell

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:51 »
Transferring your test score can save you some time and money if the company your applying with won't pay for travel in to test. It also puts you straight in to the interview process ahead of candidates that still need to test. there is a form to fill out to allow transfer just like you do to have your information logged in to PADS. I would however way the options out before I requested the results be transfered from a company that I'm still waiting for a call back from.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2009, 06:19 »
Transferring your test score

Name one utility that does that. Or are you speculating?

Offline nathaneltrct

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2009, 04:10 »
Concerning the test scores and the possibility of transferring between companies, I have personally done this between star-company and sun company. I had passed with star-company, but wasn't going to be out in time to start for the next AO class. When asked about the POSS test, I told HR at the sun company I had a passing score with another company to which was replied "Here is this form consenting release, fill it out and have them fax us your results to validate they meet our minimum passing criteria. Then I called star-company H.R. person that had been supremely helpful while there, and she faxed over my score after ensuring that was allowed. It was allowed, score faxed from star-company to sun company, deemed good enough that I didn't have to retake, only interview. Interviewed, managed to get job, and now love it! Thanks to lots of kicks in the A help from Justin/Mike, I now have the job I wanted, at the plant I wanted to work for. This will seemingly not always work for everyone from the sounds of previous posters, however, it worked for me. Is this the recommended way? I don't know, I recognize the fact that I am just starting in this industry. Several previous posters have alluded to the fact that this isn't the norm/ or a good idea, and had I known that then, I would've just retested. YMMV, have a great thankschicken.
Above all, don't fear difficult moments, the best comes from them. -Rita Levi Montalcini

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2009, 04:48 »
Most companies will not due it.

ashr0286

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2009, 05:33 »
I just re-took the POSS test instead of having the score transferred over.  I didn't want it to look bad to have the score transferred from a company that I was still waiting to hear back from.  I ended up passing the POSS again so in the end it all worked out.  I just got my job offer last week for an AO position.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2009, 02:26 »
Congratulations!

NavynukeMM1

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:25 »
I just re-took the POSS test instead of having the score transferred over.  I didn't want it to look bad to have the score transferred from a company that I was still waiting to hear back from.  I ended up passing the POSS again so in the end it all worked out.  I just got my job offer last week for an AO position.

I've looked at the practice tests online. I don't claim to be a genius or anything, but if the actual test is similar to the practice tests I don't see how anyone with Navy nuclear experience could be worried over retaking the test. As long as the company will pay for it, I'll take it over and over.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:41 »
Mostly because Navy nukes can't get into the habit of taking tests quickly.

M1Ark

« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2010, 12:36 »
Name one utility that does that. Or are you speculating?

Fermi and Progress Energy plants.  My company hr rep is who suggested it.  She came from Progress Energy and she said they did it all the time.  She asked when and where I had taken the poss test and she took care of the rest.  Fermi gave it up.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 12:39 by M1Ark »

Offline Romanized

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2010, 06:05 »
Southern transferred my score from TVA. Passed the MASS for nuclear not the POSS. Thankfully, I passed the second one.

M1Ark

« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2010, 11:27 »
Most companies will not due it.

-1 wrong word usage.

Offline Derrick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:58 »
I know this is a old post but is there anyone who could tell me how long the wait is between taking the POSS or can you take it twice in a month span? No one has been able to tell me.I would like to up my score.Please can someone help me.
Derrick

Offline JoshD1982

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:30 »
I failed the POSS test the first time that I took it also.  My advice would be to email the recruiter and ask them what their policy is.  The other option is to keep applying for NLO positions for that utility and see if you get invited to take the test again.  My guess is that you will.  I just took and passed the test.  PM me if you want to know what I did to pass it.

dtucker89

« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:33 »
Okay, so, I transferred my score from a southern utility to a northeastern one. The NE utility arranged for the score to be transferred after I failed to contact the S utility.

I was invited to take the POSS for yet another utility in the NE. I tried to have my score transferred, but I was unsure if my score would be transferred in time. I ended up driving from KY to retake (and hopefully re-pass) the POSS.

So, I have seen it both ways. For me, you CAN get utilities to transfer scores. Sometimes, you must retake tests for what you really want.

By the way, I agree with your decision to retake the test and not risk the transfer negatively impacting (I used impacting to avoid the 'affect vs effect' debacle  ;)) your other opportunity.

Daniel

my name is.....

« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:44 »
I say do what you are comfortable with.

Every singly job I have been contacted about has said "if you have already taken the POSS let us know and we can obtain your results with your written permission. So if the company is offering that, I don't think it is a bad idea.

ski2313

« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2011, 04:23 »
POSS test results are kept on file with EEI (Edison Electric Institute). They are transferable to any utility, and are good for a number of years (7 comes to mind). Now whether or not a given utility will accept transfers is another story, but the framework to do so exists. I do have a blank copy of the release form if anyone wants it. I tested (passed) and interviewed with one utility, and was not given a job offer for whatever reason. Fast forward 9 months, and I now have an AO offer with another utility. I passed a GFES exam with the 2nd utility, but did not have to retake the POSS (transfered via EEI from another utility). Hope that helps.

-ski

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2011, 02:55 »
I work for a utility and have had my test results released to other companies twice already.  It doesn't hurt to ask, and it saves some hassle!  The last time I was able to show up later than everyone else and leave earlier due to already passing the test.  If they don't expect you to be looking other places they are ignorant.  Most companies would want you to interview with others so you make a more informed decision, or at least the good ones.  Good luck either way!
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?