Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu the good, the bad, and the housing allowance.

Author Topic: the good, the bad, and the housing allowance.  (Read 11388 times)

Donovan1687

the good, the bad, and the housing allowance.
« on: Nov 06, 2009, 12:10 »
Hello all. I've been ghosting around nukeworker for a number of months, accumulating as much data as I possibly can, and I've learned more about the life of a navy nuke than I've been able to from any other resource. I'd like to thank everyone for your time, your information, and most importantly, your service.

My wife and I are both very motivated and goal oriented individuals, and when we start something it becomes something we have to finish. She's currently in school, and has one year left before she receives her degree, in December of 2010. I go to boot camp 20091216, and should be in the pipeline sometime next year. We've decided that she should stay and complete her degree despite my entry into the navy nuke program.

My question is this. If I'm going through the pipeline and she's living at home completing her degree, will I be able to both live in the barracks and receive BAH to help support her or will I be forced to choose? I've asked my recruiters and they've all said, somewhat hesitantly, that I should receive the BAH regardless. However, I could foresee complications if I'm already living in government housing and asking them for more. I'd appreciate any information, even if it's to tell me that I'm being stupid :)

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: the good, the bad, and the housing allowance.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2009, 12:34 »
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/07000%20Financial%20Management%20Services/07-200%20Disbursing%20Services/7220.12.pdf

The above link takes you to the governing document:  OPNAVINST 7220.12

Bottom line:  The government will not house you in quarters and pay BAH just because that's what you want.  Certain criteria must be met before they will do that.  Permitting a dependent to finish school is specifically addressed and is not an exception.  You will get BAH while in boot camp, because there is no PCS provision for families.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Donovan1687

« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2009, 12:27 »
Thank you very much. I had hoped for the best, but like I said, to me it seemed illogical for the military to give me more than I was promised. No one up to this point had been able to point me in the right direction, they simply gave me the answer I wanted to hear, so I appreciate it more than you know.

Not that it's really pertinent to the discussion, but it may still wind up being monetarily beneficial for her to finish up here considering the scholarships and grants she currently gets and the price of schooling in and near Charleston. Florida public universities are wildly cheap for in-state students in comparison to the out of state tuition we would be paying elsewhere. Has anyone here gone through Nuke School with a wife and child living somewhere else? I could see it being either detrimental with the mental strain of not seeing your loved ones, or nice because you don't have to balance school and your family life at all times. Perhaps I should start a new topic, but if anyone has a comparable experience I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. I've read quite a few "married with children at school," but I don't think I've read any "married with children and they don't live with me," at school stories.

kujayhawks

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:27 »
Donovan1687-

I would disagree with the with above post. In both my experience while in the pipeline and while on the boat, if you spouse lives somewhere else than you are "geo-bachelor." You will live in the barracks while in Charleston, and you will receive BAH for wherever your wife lives.

Hope this helps.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:37 »
Donovan1687-

I would disagree with the with above post. In both my experience while in the pipeline and while on the boat, if you spouse lives somewhere else than you are "geo-bachelor." You will live in the barracks while in Charleston, and you will receive BAH for wherever your wife lives.

Hope this helps.

If you are on sea duty, you can get BAH based on dependent location.  Otherwise, you will get it based on your location
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2009, 10:16 »
If you are on sea duty, you can get BAH based on dependent location.  Otherwise, you will get it based on your location

The other allowance is for folks assigned to CHAs (critical housing areas), which Charleston is not.  CHAs are specified in Naval messages which can be found on the BUPERS website.  Bottom line is that unless assigned to a CHA, the servicemember receives BAH based on the duty station, not the dependent's location. 

I included a link to the instruction in my previous post for a reason.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2009, 10:40 »
My husband received BAH for two months during A school before our daughter and I were able to move to Goose Creek.  He was still in the barracks and the allowance was based on the 29445 zip.  We weren't planning on the extra money, so it was a nice surprise in our checking account.

I read the posted link, but this was only 8 months ago so I'm not sure what the requirements are to receive it. 
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

Donovan1687

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2009, 04:18 »
It does seem that most people receive the BAH when in a similar situation, although it is hard to argue with the documentation. It does state in the last page that a CO can approve BAH entitlements for dependents living at another location, which might be the way I'd have to go. If everyone else has been able to do it I should be able to, circumstances willing.

But I don't want to get too excited and expect to get it. I figure I should prepare for the worst and if it's better than that I can't complain.

Thank you again for the information. It has been very helpful as always.

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2009, 04:20 by Donovan1687 »

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2009, 09:19 »
Not that it's really pertinent to the discussion, but it may still wind up being monetarily beneficial for her to finish up here considering the scholarships and grants she currently gets and the price of schooling in and near Charleston. Florida public universities are wildly cheap for in-state students in comparison to the out of state tuition we would be paying elsewhere. Has anyone here gone through Nuke School with a wife and child living somewhere else? I could see it being either detrimental with the mental strain of not seeing your loved ones, or nice because you don't have to balance school and your family life at all times. Perhaps I should start a new topic, but if anyone has a comparable experience I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. I've read quite a few "married with children at school," but I don't think I've read any "married with children and they don't live with me," at school stories.

It would only stand to be beneficial if she's far enough away to keep you two from road tripping to see each other. I went through A-School with my wife and son living in Savannah, and so my weekends were spent driving to her place or spending time with her here. She moved up here for power school and prototype.

My results:

ASchool: 3.0X, Bottom Half
Powerschool/Prototype: Top 10% for both

Having them up here was such an ease of mind for me. It was also nice having more of a structure as well as having a "motivator" to get home. My studies were much more focused after she moved up here because of my desire to get home as soon as possible every day.

Donovan1687

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2009, 08:39 »
We live in Panama City Beach, Fl, which is about 550 miles (or nine hours) from Charleston and Goose Creek. Really, the only way that I'll get to see them is if they travel up here or on holidays. If I understand correctly there's a limit to how far you can travel while in school, and that's quite a bit over it.

I have a feeling that my experience will bear a resemblance to yours. I've always been a great self starter and motivator, but she's always been the extra kick in the butt that I need if I'm being anything other than my best.

I'm sure I'll get that kick from my superiors regardless, but getting a preemptive strike from the wife might be a little nicer. 

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2009, 07:26 »
It would only stand to be beneficial if she's far enough away to keep you two from road tripping to see each other. I went through A-School with my wife and son living in Savannah, and so my weekends were spent driving to her place or spending time with her here. She moved up here for power school and prototype.

My results:

ASchool: 3.0X, Bottom Half
Powerschool/Prototype: Top 10% for both

Having them up here was such an ease of mind for me. It was also nice having more of a structure as well as having a "motivator" to get home. My studies were much more focused after she moved up here because of my desire to get home as soon as possible every day.

So what are you going to do in the fleet when she's not around? Go back to being a slug?

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2009, 06:25 »
So what are you going to do in the fleet when she's not around? Go back to being a slug?

Probably

Donovan1687

« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2009, 12:50 »

I didn't think slugs would want to run a submarine with all that salt water around. One little mishap...

Motown homey

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:42 »
I didn't think slugs would want to run a submarine with all that salt water around. One little mishap...

Excellant point - I think you may fit in very well around here. +K

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?