Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Need adivce from Nukes

Author Topic: Need adivce from Nukes  (Read 2945 times)

flyersbeware

Need adivce from Nukes
« on: Nov 09, 2009, 12:17 »
I'm a midshipman and was just selected for the Nuke Program. My situation is that I have never imagined myself as a Nuke. Throughout my 5 years of school, I have never looked into the Nuke program. My grades in physics are C's and B's in calculus. I put Nuke SWO as my third choice and we have reason to believe that the reason I got it was because of my major which is radiation health physics. I'm going in for my Nuke Interview and although I am honored to even be considered for such a prestigious program, I truly feel I do not fit in. I struggled throughout my major and I always felt it wasn't a fit for me. So, a few questions:
Can I turn down my Nuke Interview?
Do you even think I will pass? (what are the grade minimums)?
If you pass the technical interview are you guaranteed to go Nuke? For example, if I pass, can I tell the Admiral I don't want to go Nuke?

I'm not trying to put down the Nuke program. Most of my closest friends are Nukes and they love it! Sadly, I still don't feel that way and I don't think I should be in the program if I wasn't passionate about it as you all are. I have been studying physics and calculus countless hours since my service selection announcement a month ago but still don't feel ready. As I mentioned before, I got C's in physics and I'm trying to relearn it all in one month at a B level or higher so I can pass the technical part at least. My intention is to pass the technical part because I am a hard worker and never slack just because things didn't go my way, however, I will not lie to the Admiral if he asks me why I want to go Nuke. Any advice?

Offline yota

• Moderate User
Re: Need adivce from Nukes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2009, 03:38 »
If you don't want to go nuke, don't. I'm sure the Navy will thank you for being honest about it up front and not wasting their time, money, and resources on training someone who doesn't want it to begin with.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2009, 09:54 »
I'm a midshipman and was just selected for the Nuke Program. My situation is that I have never imagined myself as a Nuke. Throughout my 5 years of school, I have never looked into the Nuke program. My grades in physics are C's and B's in calculus. I put Nuke SWO as my third choice and we have reason to believe that the reason I got it was because of my major which is radiation health physics. I'm going in for my Nuke Interview and although I am honored to even be considered for such a prestigious program, I truly feel I do not fit in. I struggled throughout my major and I always felt it wasn't a fit for me. So, a few questions:
Can I turn down my Nuke Interview?
Do you even think I will pass? (what are the grade minimums)?
If you pass the technical interview are you guaranteed to go Nuke? For example, if I pass, can I tell the Admiral I don't want to go Nuke?

I'm not trying to put down the Nuke program. Most of my closest friends are Nukes and they love it! Sadly, I still don't feel that way and I don't think I should be in the program if I wasn't passionate about it as you all are. I have been studying physics and calculus countless hours since my service selection announcement a month ago but still don't feel ready. As I mentioned before, I got C's in physics and I'm trying to relearn it all in one month at a B level or higher so I can pass the technical part at least. My intention is to pass the technical part because I am a hard worker and never slack just because things didn't go my way, however, I will not lie to the Admiral if he asks me why I want to go Nuke. Any advice?

You can't turn down the interview.  The time to "turn down" the interview was when you filled out your duty preference card.  You listed SWO(N) on there.  This is your first lesson in "Needs of the navy."

I would highly advise not telling the admiral you don't want to be a nuke.  Don't waste his time.  If you don't want to be a naval officer, then take that up with your NROTC CoC.  You were never promised your first or second choice of duty preference.  Remember, the navy paid for your education, and you listed nuke on your duty preference card.

Break...

You can pass the interviews, and you can make it through nuke school.  Its not easy, but if you put in the effort, you will succeed.  The interviews  usually consist of basic calculus and physics. 

PM me if you have more questions.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2009, 11:11 »
Now were do you think the Navy would look to place someone with a degree in radiation health physics, especially if you put down Nuke as a duty option?  A lot of people join the Navy and do not get to do what they asked for, so count your blessings.  Oh, when they ask you about submarines, think long and hard about whether you are going to raise your hand.

The up side is things could be worse, the Navy could assign you to the USS Reluctant. 
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?