Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Looking to get into the nuke program but have some situational questions.  

Author Topic: Looking to get into the nuke program but have some situational questions.  (Read 9932 times)

cmichaelt

I am 24 years old turning 25 and April and am looking to enlist as a Nuke. My only real concern is my educational history. Not sure if it matters but I graduated from a well known Catholic Private high school in Seattle, WA with about a 2.0gpa (cannot remember the exact number anymore might have been a 2.2gpa). For the six years since then and now I have been to 2 different community colleges and 2 different universities pursuing a mechanical engineering degree but am tired and looking for a different route to a successful career. Using all four universities combined I have slightly less than a 2.0gpa, but if I use the best two I will have around a 2.3 gpa with over with 50 semester units and 40 quarter units.

I talked with a recruiter where I currently live but am moving within the week so I will not be enlisting here. I took the practice ASVAB test there and scored a 95 on the AFQT portion. The only difficulty I see myself having with the physical exam is the mile and a half run which I am working on.

From above do I appear to be a candidate able to get into the nuke program?

Also a very important side note I have a mild case of either atopic dermatitis or eczema (if you google and look at pictures mine has never ever looked as bad as those), but how difficult is it to obtain a waiver for this? When I talked to the local recruiter here at first he said it was no waiver-able, but then his boss said we can take care of that like it was not a big deal.

JustinHEMI05

I know guys de-nuked for those skin conditions. I don't know the rules, but based on my experience, I would have to guess non-waiverable. I am sure someone that knows the rule on that will chime in, because things always change and just about anything can be waived.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
As far as your skin condition, there are a lot of variables that you might not be aware of yet.  Navy ships use a lot of "stuff" that you won't find out in the civilian world.  Between paints, lubricants, materials, etc; there are a lot of things that could make your condition worse. 

Case in point, I had a student one time that made it all the way through Prototype just fine, and went to my old ship.  When he got there, he started having bad reactions with his skin.  Turns out, he was allergic to something on the ship(don't know if they ever figured out what exactly).  So he ended up not being able to serve on board the ship because they couldn't control it.  I believe that he was discharged after that. 

Another case involves an MM who was allergic to the oil we used in machinery.  His skin would crack, peel, and blister sometimes when he would handle the oil.  He was able to control it using gloves when he needed to contact the oil. 

So it all depends on if your condition is controlable in a reasonable fashion.  However, be aware that it could become significantly worse when exposed to elements that are associated with Naval vessels. 

You stated that you were "tired" after going to several different colleges and universities.  College is a joke compared to nuke school(at least that is my opinion about college after surviving nuke school).  Be advised that you can't "transfer" easily in nuke school just because you are "tired".  Furthermore, a 2.0+ gpa isn't exactly steller, and based on that, you are going to be hard pressed in school.  Your study hours are inversely proportional to your GPA.  Based on the GPA you provided, if this was nuke school, you would be in class from about 0600 to 2300(6 a.m. to 11 p.m. for you non-military types) every day of the week and putting in almost 8 hours a day during the weekends.  Of course, I could be wrong......
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

cmichaelt

As far as your skin condition, there are a lot of variables that you might not be aware of yet.  Navy ships use a lot of "stuff" that you won't find out in the civilian world.  Between paints, lubricants, materials, etc; there are a lot of things that could make your condition worse. 

Case in point, I had a student one time that made it all the way through Prototype just fine, and went to my old ship.  When he got there, he started having bad reactions with his skin.  Turns out, he was allergic to something on the ship(don't know if they ever figured out what exactly).  So he ended up not being able to serve on board the ship because they couldn't control it.  I believe that he was discharged after that. 

Another case involves an MM who was allergic to the oil we used in machinery.  His skin would crack, peel, and blister sometimes when he would handle the oil.  He was able to control it using gloves when he needed to contact the oil. 

So it all depends on if your condition is controlable in a reasonable fashion.  However, be aware that it could become significantly worse when exposed to elements that are associated with Naval vessels. 

Alright so it is kind of touch and go depending on the person as far as what they might react to which is natural. I will just have to see and make adjustments for myself. My allergies so far seem to react more to stuff from pollens instead of man made materials.

You stated that you were "tired" after going to several different colleges and universities.  College is a joke compared to nuke school(at least that is my opinion about college after surviving nuke school).  Be advised that you can't "transfer" easily in nuke school just because you are "tired".  Furthermore, a 2.0+ gpa isn't exactly steller, and based on that, you are going to be hard pressed in school.  Your study hours are inversely proportional to your GPA.  Based on the GPA you provided, if this was nuke school, you would be in class from about 0600 to 2300(6 a.m. to 11 p.m. for you non-military types) every day of the week and putting in almost 8 hours a day during the weekends.  Of course, I could be wrong......

Yea I will admit that I barely studied for any of my classes only putting time in prior to exams for most of them and doing half of the homework assignments. I figured since I cannot transfer easily that would just give me more motivation to finish. I also probably will not be bringing my computer since it is a major distraction for me. Might give me the chance to succeed in life as well as try more outdoor things.

I had that problem a lot, still do with some products, I have not taken the time to pin down which additive(s) it is. It started on the destroyer before nuke school. As an ELT, on a submarine, who also loved to work in M-Div, the skin on my hands was always hurting, I told nobody about it and just suffered through. I wanted that NEC, I wanted the quals, I wanted to make a good living for my wife and kids once I got out.
)It has all been worth it,... ;))

Good luck with getting in,...if you do make it in, they will make you earn it,...be prepared.

welcome to nukeworker and keep us posted,..... :)

(check your PM in box)

(sic)

Thanks for the words, I know I need to buckle down in life and for me the Navy nuke seems like the best solution with a very viable career in the civilian world afterward should I choose to get out. I checked my inbox but it was empty lol.

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
Derm problems are one the tricky of trickies for Nukes. Back in the 80s in Orlando it was the dreaded appointment with Dr. Gay... and I think he was. Always very creepy, and scary those appointments. The problem is the way the Navy looks at it is your skin is a potential route for internal contamination. That's bad. This is partly why they harp on derm so much. Even acne was/is a big deal.

Good luck. They'll let you know at MEPS about that stuff and any other physical qualifications type stuff.

Your grades and your description of your study habits are a bit of a pause.  Let's just put it this way... you will NOT be able to do that in the Nuke pipeline. In fact, failing to study will get you sent to Captains Mast, where the Old Man can take away stripes, money, and confine you to where ever. Oh, and they'll drop you from the program. You will have a pretty serious adjustment to make. If you make it, good on ya. If not... well the Fleet needs paint chippers too.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

cmichaelt

Your grades and your description of your study habits are a bit of a pause.  Let's just put it this way... you will NOT be able to do that in the Nuke pipeline. In fact, failing to study will get you sent to Captains Mast, where the Old Man can take away stripes, money, and confine you to where ever. Oh, and they'll drop you from the program. You will have a pretty serious adjustment to make. If you make it, good on ya. If not... well the Fleet needs paint chippers too.

That is GOOD MOTIVATION right there. See I can see definite results with failure. For me in regular school while I know their are consequences, they are not as tangible to me. Losing my bonus and stripes has a more immediate impact. Now just have to hope I qualify. Moving next week will try to start the process soon afterward, though I believe that is Thanksgiving holiday so might slow things down a bit.

co60slr

Derm problems are one the tricky of trickies for Nukes. Back in the 80s in Orlando it was the dreaded appointment with Dr. Gay... and I think he was. Always very creepy, and scary those appointments. The problem is the way the Navy looks at it is your skin is a potential route for internal contamination. That's bad. This is partly why they harp on derm so much. Even acne was/is a big deal.

Capt Gay.  He didn't care if your acne was cleared up, he only checked that your face was peeling from all the medications and he checked to see you obtained at least one refill since you last saw him.  If you didn't get a refill, the appointment became "scary".   If you had a refill (or two to be sure), the appointment went fine.   Hard to imagine why a physician of that experience and caliber was not a CO of a Hospital.  (Sarcasm).   NO one in my class did NOT go on to Prototype because of Dr. Gay.   (But many hated Navy Medicine a bit more for the duration of their careers for being treated so poorly as a patient).

I think the issue (for most teens) resolves itself by the time they hit the Fleet (as non-teens).  I can't imagine this being a huge issue for someone under the care of 21st century medicine.   But...a Dr. will treat it, and another Navy Dr will evaluate it.   Just another hurdle in the process that one has to leap.

Fermi2

That is GOOD MOTIVATION right there. See I can see definite results with failure. For me in regular school while I know their are consequences, they are not as tangible to me. Losing my bonus and stripes has a more immediate impact. Now just have to hope I qualify. Moving next week will try to start the process soon afterward, though I believe that is Thanksgiving holiday so might slow things down a bit.

So what motivates you to do a good job is fear of being punished? That doesn't speak well of you...

Mike

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
I know for me, and a good number of my NPS classmates, the motivation to do as well as we were capable of in high school and college wasn't there.  How many of us needed the kick in the a** that the navy provided, free of charge, to show us what we were capable of, and to give us the self-motivation that was lacking prior to our service?

So, cmichaelt, I think you're in pretty good company.  Academic failure in NPS isn't an easy option.  They have too much invested in you and your future to let you fail out easily.  A good work ethic can be taught, along with good study habits, and other good habits to ensure success in many of your future endeavors. Fear of being punished should progress to fear of failure, then move onward to anticipation and joy of success.

Good luck,

Bill
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2009, 06:05 by Creeker »

cmichaelt

I am taking my ASVAB next Monday at a MET(?) station. From what I've been reading if I score well on the AFQT portion of the ASVAB it is possible I will not need to take the second test, is this correct? As for the other parts of the ASVAB it is very dependent on what questions are asked, I know enough in most of the sections to score at least 50% if not higher in all the practice test I've taken. Plan on going through two ASVAB books I borrowed from the library between now and test time. Any advice?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
I am taking my ASVAB next Monday at a MET(?) station. From what I've been reading if I score well on the AFQT portion of the ASVAB it is possible I will not need to take the second test, is this correct? As for the other parts of the ASVAB it is very dependent on what questions are asked, I know enough in most of the sections to score at least 50% if not higher in all the practice test I've taken. Plan on going through two ASVAB books I borrowed from the library between now and test time. Any advice?

searching "afqt score nfqt" yielded the following:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=14706.0

cmichaelt

Offline LivinginParadise

• Light User

I knew three mechanics at NPTU that were allergic to lube oil. Wasn't an issue until the day a couple of the vent fogs crapped themselves. They ended up getting discharged.

cmichaelt

So I just finished taking the ASVAB at MET and scored a 99 on the AFQT portion. My recruiter thinks it would be a good idea to take the NFQT and score well on that too so I will look better as a candidate for the nuke program. good or bad idea?

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
So I just finished taking the ASVAB at MET and scored a 99 on the AFQT portion. My recruiter thinks it would be a good idea to take the NFQT and score well on that too so I will look better as a candidate for the nuke program. good or bad idea?

The NFQT is a prerequisite to even be considered for the nuke program.  If you don't meet that requirement, you won't even be a candidate.

Depending on your ASVAB line scores, you may be exempt from taking the NFQT.  In  that case, there is no need to take it.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

cmichaelt

The NFQT is a prerequisite to even be considered for the nuke program.  If you don't meet that requirement, you won't even be a candidate.

Depending on your ASVAB line scores, you may be exempt from taking the NFQT.  In  that case, there is no need to take it.

But taking the NFQT could improve my chances right, especially if I score well on that too, even if my line score was sufficient enough?

edit: i know it's still early but when is a good time to start talking about bonuses with my recruiter? Also are any of you married and does your wife or husband have a career that makes it pretty much impossible to move with you? (needs a state license to practice) well how does that work out between you and your significant other?
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2009, 03:21 by cmichaelt »

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
No, if you are exempt from taking the NFQT you can't make yourself look better by taking it and scoring well.  It's a pass or don't-pass item.

The thing that improves your chances is having a clean background. If you have criminal convictions (even as a juvenile), used marijuana, poor math/science grades, etc. then you will need to get waivers for those things.

The more waivers you need approved, the less likely you will be selected for the nuclear program.  Also, if they're having a hard time meeting their quotas, they may be more lenient towards past transgressions (and approve more waivers.)

When you get your nuke contract, it will also include the enlistment bonus.  Your bonus is dependent on when you ship out to boot camp.  (I feel like I've answered these questions before.  Have you searched the forums?)
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline nbaggs

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I don't know anything about the skin condition, but i do know something about going from college into the nuke pipeline. I also had mediocre grades in college and did not get a degree. student loans with no real job opportunities forced me to the recruiters desk and a 99 on my asvab got me into the nuke program. the most important thing to remember if you do go nuke is that power school is not college. you are getting paid to learn the material and perform on a test. if you keep that attitude (and have any shred of self pride) you will do fine. study when they tell you to study. pay attention to the learning objectives for the lessons and focus your effort on learning those. understand that while the navy is a chance to get out and see the world, it is first and foremost a job. you get a paycheck, so you are expected to provide a service (in the case of power school, learning the material and passing your tests).
as far as the nftq helping you get into the nuke program, i didnt take the nftq and i got in. im not a recruiter, but from the fleet it feels like there is a shortage of nukes getting to the ships. if you really wanna go nuke talk to the nuke recruiter at meps and see what you are gonna need as far as waivers go.
good luck.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?