Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu MOVING!!! Hawaii  

Author Topic: MOVING!!! Hawaii  (Read 3013 times)

cleonard19

MOVING!!! Hawaii
« on: Nov 17, 2009, 09:12 »
So, USS Passadena, 688(1) class. More importantly, stationed in Pearl. Anyone got any advice, suggestions, etc? This pretty much blows my sell all non essentials and drive to wherever just me and my seabag. Still going to be just me and my seabag, but definitely not driving.

Any suggestions for a car that I'm 8k upside down on due to being upside on a totalled car prior to this one?

Hawaii tips?

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: MOVING!!! Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:50 »
If I recall correctly, they will pay to move your household goods and one car for PCS orders to/from Hawaii.

Quoting MILPERSMAN 1300-140 "Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Entitlement Policy - Policies for Unique Categories of Travel/Relocation Entitlements"  22 Aug 2002
http://www.npc.navy.mil/ReferenceLibrary/MILPERSMAN/1000MilitaryPersonnel/1300Assignment/1300Series/1300_140.htm

When...members are ordered to make a PCS to, from, or between duty stations outside the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia, or upon official change in home port/PDS location of the unit to which assigned,

then...members are entitled to shipment of a POV,

and...associated allowances for travel to the water port designated for POV delivery and from the water port designated for POV pickup,

and see...JFTR, paragraph U5410, MILPERSMAN 1320-100 and 4050-010, pertaining to travel via POC in connection with consecutive overseas tours.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2009, 11:02 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

cleonard19

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:56 »
I know about the car, What I don't know about is the only other thing I plan on taking with me besides my laptop and clothing. And thats a $1900 Road bike that I'd really prefer to not get damaged.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2009, 11:55 »
When you say "Road Bike" do you mean...

"A vehicle other than a POV (such as a motorcycle, moped, hang glider, golf cart or snowmobile (and/or the associated trailer))"

OR

"Ultralight vehicles (defined in 14 CFR ยง103 as being single occupant; for recreation or sport purposes weighing less than 155 pounds if un-powered or less than 254 pounds if powered; having a fuel capacity NTE 5 gallons; airspeed NTE 55 knots; and power-off stall speed NTE 24 knots)."

OR

"Automobiles, trucks, vans and similar motor vehicles; airplanes; mobile homes; camper trailers; horse trailers; and farming vehicles (see Ch 5, Part E for POV shipment);"

If it fits either the 1st or 2nd definition, it's considered a HHG and can be shipped.  If it fits the 3rd definition, you're pretty much screwed, since the government will only pay to ship one POV.

If you're concerned about damage, the government will reimburse you for any damaged goods during shipping.  You can also get additional damage insurance from the carrier, as long as the insurance cost does not exceed the cost of transporting your maximum weight (7,000 lbs)
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2009, 12:00 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?