Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Bootcamp in May then "A School"!
honeypot

Author Topic: Bootcamp in May then "A School"!  (Read 4517 times)

Offline madwheel

• Lurker
Bootcamp in May then "A School"!
« on: Nov 20, 2009, 12:22 »
I officially swore in 2 days ago.  I accepted the offer as a Navy Nuke.  I did a lot of reading on this forum to help make my decision and the extra info I got from local Navy Nukes really helped me out as well.  Provided everything goes well at boot camp I'll be on my way!

I just wanted to throw out a general thanks to those contributing great information to this site.  I'm sure it helps more people than you know, because many like me simply read but do not join and post on the actual forum.

I guess as one curiosity; Would anyone like to share their experience on a sub?  I've been considering volunteering for sub duty down the road if the opportunity arises but would like to learn a bit more about it first.

Thanks guys!

-Joe

JustinHEMI05

Re: Bootcamp in May then "A School"!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2009, 01:29 »
Congratulations, goodluck and thank you for your service! Please stick around and keep us up to date and share your experiences!

As for life on a sub, here ya go.  :P

http://www.trolinger.com/david/simulate.html

I couldn't say it any better than Marssim. It was the hardest, easiest, worst, best, dullest, most exciting and for sure... stinkiest time in my life. The memories and friends I have made were well worth it.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2009, 01:30 by JustinHEMI »

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2009, 01:47 »
Congratulations and thank you for your service. You got lucky in my eyes. I DEPed in June and don't ship out until April. I'm going crazy waiting but I just keep reminding myself how much nicer the weather will be in April rather than during the winter.

Offline LivinginParadise

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2009, 12:00 »

I guess as one curiosity; Would anyone like to share their experience on a sub?  I've been considering volunteering for sub duty down the road if the opportunity arises but would like to learn a bit more about it first.

Thanks guys!

-Joe

If you subvol, whether it be halfway through prototype, or before you get to boot camp, assuming you make it through the program and get orders to a submarine, you will get back paid to the day you were frocked to third class. They do this so you meet your sub gates so you're eligible to obliserve when you rotate to shore duty.

So in short, I'm saying you should not rush this issue. All through A school and Power School, in your classes attempt to avoid notes, the questions of sub vs. surface and what was your experience like will be discussed ad nauseum  with all your instructors. Listen to what they have to say, and make an informed decision down the road. Don't cave to the pressure to subvol in boot camp.

Life on a 688 (Los Angeles) class is worlds different from that on a 774 class (Virginia) or an Ohio Class (Boomer). Make sure you take mental notes of which type of boat each instructor was on, and take that grain of salt with the experience they share.  A lot of your experience will also depend on your rate, and at what point in your sea tour you're in, and what your chain of command is like.

Offline madwheel

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2009, 02:13 »
Thanks for everything guys.  I have a lot of time to decide so I will just learn as much as possible in the meantime.

As for my DEP date vs Boot Camp time frame, it is because of my age.  I'm already 24 and turn 25 on the 4th of July.  They needed me to be in boot camp before my birthday in order to be eligible for the Nuke program.  I think I got lucky because of that.  Thanks again everyone, and I'll keep you all updated.

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2009, 05:44 »
As for my DEP date vs Boot Camp time frame, it is because of my age.  I'm already 24 and turn 25 on the 4th of July.  They needed me to be in boot camp before my birthday in order to be eligible for the Nuke program.  I think I got lucky because of that.  Thanks again everyone, and I'll keep you all updated.

That makes sense. I'm 26 so I had to get an age waiver.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?