Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu My future after Navy Nuke school.

Author Topic: My future after Navy Nuke school.  (Read 28319 times)

SCCooper

My future after Navy Nuke school.
« on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:52 »
A little about myself.. I am 19 years old and currently in DEP for the nuke program.. I ship off to Great Lakes on 20090719 but am doing whatever possible to get that date pushed forward. I've got more excitment, nervousness, terror, and determination running through my veins now then I ever have before.. and I can hardly wait to get this journy started.

Before I get bombarded with the "use the search button," phrase 100 times.. I'd like to say that I have but haven't had any luck running into the answers to a few questions I have among the masses of posts I've read through. I actually feel a little overwhelmed and overloaded at all the information I've attempted to digest.. So I hope I dont catch too much crap for trying to get a few specific answers based on my situation.

Now perhaps I'm thinking a little too far down the road here, but my main concern is life after the Navy. I understand that Nuke school is going to be rough but I have a mentality set in that if I want to succeed in this then I will. From reading I've learned that the necessary tools are given to you to succeed and I'm ready to utilize every one of them to get through the schooling and training. With that being said;

1.) How can I most effectivley prep myself to be a marketable employee after the Navy?

2.) Which rate would be most likely to turn over to a civilian job the best?

3.) As far as college goes do I need a degree in Science, Physics, Chemistry, or something of the sort to find a job?

4.) If a degree of the sort is required should I attempt to complete some of this while enlisted using tuition assistance or would it be better to wait and complete a degree after using the GI Bill?

5.) Are there any other certificates or any other training I'd have to obtain in order to get hired or could my Naval training alone land me a job post-Navy?

6.) I've ran across a dozen different ranges of salaries one who has completed service in the nuke program can expect ranging from $40,000 - 150,000.. is this accurate or can it be narrowed down further?

I'm not sure if I am overly stressing out over everything or if my curiosity is justified.. However, either way I would sleep a little better at night knowing the answers to some of these questions.  :) I'm the sort of guy who feels at ease if he has a game plan for whatever lies ahead and these are just a few of the plethora of questions thats been eating at me since my recruiter mentioned the nuclear program.

JustinHEMI05

Re: My future after Navy Nuke school.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2009, 10:22 »
1) Don't go to mast.

2) No one cares which rate you were.

3) It depends on what you want to do. If you are doing 6 and out, I would try to get one.

4) Might as well do it while you are in if you can. But you probably won't have time.

5) Anything helps. 6 and outers are a dime a dozen.

6) I would count on the 40000 end of things.

You aren't even in the dang program yet. Worry about getting to boot first. Then getting through boot. Then getting through A school. And so on and so forth. Things will be wildly different between now and 2016.

And please, stop writing dates like that.

Good luck.

SCCooper

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2009, 11:21 »
I appriciate the response.. and I take it from your closing remarks that you think I am overthinking things.. but like i said I just like to have a game plan of what I need to accomplish to succeed well in advance.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2009, 11:27 »
That is fair enough, but my point is, you may decide to make a 20 year career out of it. My point is also that there may be no jobs in 2016. LOL Yes I think you are thinking way too far ahead, considering the program you are getting into. However, if that is what you want to do, so be it. Just stay out of trouble. Take any opportunities you can to go to schools and get extra quals. If you can manage a degree in your 6 years, do so. Again, 6 and outers are a dime a dozen, so try to stand out.

SCCooper

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2009, 12:19 »
I really hope I like the job enough to make a career out of it but in the event that I don't I just want to position myself in the best possible spot. But i will take your advice and focus more on now rather than then! Thanks for all your advice!

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2009, 06:38 »
I appriciate the response.. and I take it from your closing remarks that you think I am overthinking things.. but like i said I just like to have a game plan of what I need to accomplish to succeed well in advance.

God laughs at plans.  More simply put, a plan is nothing but a point of departure.
Do your best at each and every thing the Navy asks of you and you'll be fine.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2009, 08:15 »

And please, stop writing dates like that.

A point about that date format: it works well for computers but confuses the hell out of humans... and if you really are reporting last July, you had better hurry. See? It even confused you.

And welcome to NukeWorker.com
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2009, 08:15 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2009, 09:54 »
God laughs at plans.  More simply put, a plan is nothing but a point of departure.

More true words have not been spoken.

To the OP, I'm still in the Navy (and pretty junior at that) but I know a lot of guys that have gotten out. The ones who are in the best situations on the outside are the guys who tried their hardest at every thing they did. To reiterate what the guys above me said, "Take any opportunities you can to go to schools and get extra quals. If you can manage a degree in your 6 years, do so". One of the most valuable things that the Navy has instilled in me is a work ethic and pride in any job that I do (which was a difficult transition for me to make personally, you may be different). The people that I have seen those traits in are the ones that are getting the good jobs on the outside and, for those that stay in, are advancing the quickest and making the most of their careers.

I was also planning on being a 6 and outer. I decided to reenlist so I could take a SPU tour, and then I was absolutely certain I would be an 8 an outer. Now, I've been picked up STA-21 and am looking at 13 and out, or maybe 30 and out. Who knows? Plans are great, but don't close any doors. Don't get caught looking so far into the future that you neglect to take advantage of the opportunities that are in front of you at the present.

Samabby

« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2009, 10:16 »
Dear Cooper,

You strike me as a sincere, mature ( for a 19 yo ) guy, but you really will need to take things one day at a time. Get on the bus, get through Great Lakes, go to Goose Creek, etc.

On the long term thoughts, keep this as you mantra:

I am smart enough to get through this daunting program and will figure out the rest as I move on to a boat ( you don't want to be a target, do you?  :o ).

Relax until you go to boot.

Good luck, son
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2009, 10:21 by Samabby »

SCCooper

« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2009, 11:18 »
 :-[ Point well proven guys, I'll leave that date format for the monotonous paperwork at MEPS. I'll heed all the advice given here and take this thing as it unfolds! The idea of closing doors and not considering oppurtunities that are there at the present time because im so wrapped up about where i'll be years down the road really weighed a lot on my mind. It made me think about past experiences where I have done that very thing and helped me to conclude that I shouldn't redemonstrate those mistakes in this situation either. Thanks a million for helping me relax and take this things as it comes at me and for all the advice given.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2009, 11:31 »
I'll heed all the advice given here and take this thing as it unfolds!

You have just demonstrated 2.50 knowledge (Recognizing correct answer when told).

I think you are going to be alright.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Neutron Whisperer

• Moderate User
  • What do you bring to the table?
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2009, 12:05 »
That is fair enough, but my point is, you may decide to make a 20 year career out of it. My point is also that there may be no jobs in 2016. LOL Yes I think you are thinking way too far ahead, considering the program you are getting into. However, if that is what you want to do, so be it. Just stay out of trouble. Take any opportunities you can to go to schools and get extra quals. If you can manage a degree in your 6 years, do so. Again, 6 and outers are a dime a dozen, so try to stand out.

Whether you enjoy the Navy or don't; whether you intend to do a single enlistment or to do 30 years—act as though you're going to be in for the long haul while always preparing for your eventual separation/retirement.

Many folk are "dead set" on getting out and then find themselves re-enlisting and wish they had done this or that earlier.  Additionally, everyone gets out of the Navy someday.  So be prepared.
Disclaimer: there is no "tone" to my post.

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2009, 09:50 »
And if you don't like it, Play it hard, play it fair so when you leave you can exit through the front door with your head held high.

SCCooper

« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2009, 10:56 »
Haha, while i'm not 100% on the meaning of that.. i'll keep it in mind anyways. Thanks again for everyone whose taken the time to respond.. your all putting new ways of looking at the bear of a situation i've positioned myself in and everyone is helping me out tons..

Now i'm not sure if I'm supposed to do this or not, but I have another question that doesn't pertain too much to this topic..

While I'm enlisted and serving.. what kind of expenses should I expect to have. I've set a few goals on how much I'd like to have saved when I do decide to get out and was just wondering about what sorts of things I actually end up spending money on while I'm in. What is a realistic amount to have saved for say the first 6 years.. and is it difficult to save money while in? Thanks guys!

co60slr

« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2009, 05:36 »
What is a realistic amount to have saved for say the first 6 years.. and is it difficult to save money while in?
Excellent question for a young nuke, given the extraordinary reenlistment bonuses that may be on your horizon.   However, I don't know if anyone can answer YOUR situation past simple financial planning.   (We don't know what your current debt is).   A few thoughts, based on what is plaguing young America these days:

1.  DO NOT get caught in the credit card trap!!!  If you have $10,000 on a credit card with 21% interest and a $5/month minimum payment (exaggerating)....you'll never pay it off!   If you have to rack up that much debt then have your own plan on how you're going to quickly pay it, but then stick to it.

2.  Pay yourself first!  Always!  Put money in a 401K (TSP in the Navy), and put 10% in a savings account each month.   Pay yourself, and then live within your means of what is left.  Yes, it'll be challenging at first...especially when your roomates are spending money like crazy and you're feeling left out.  Stick to YOUR plan.

Overall, us "nukes" generally enjoy a pretty good salary.  Resist the urge to buy expensive cars until later and concentrate on getting your career going.  Once you've done a few deployments and make E-5/E-6, your financial situation should be stable and you should find saving money easier.  Just "bite the bullet" and save 10% each month and don't stop until you retire.

Co60

Samabby

« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2009, 09:45 »
If you don't buy a new car, buy all the electronic gismos, or  drink alcohol, you should be able to save  a gazillion or 2.  8)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2009, 10:09 »
Yup just to add to the other good advice, don't blow your bonus on stupid shit like TVs and cars you can't afford. You will see classmate do that, and then you will see their cars repossessed not too long after. Sorry, E4s just do not drive BMWs. Worry about fancy TVs and stuff later in life, like Co60 said. The more you save in your early 20s, the better off you will when you retire (ie retire as a millionaire). That isn't to say you shouldn't have some fun with your bonus. Buy yourself something nice, but be reasonable about it and you will be fine.

And again to reiterate, DO NOT get into credit card debt. No explanation needed, its a dead end trap for an E4.

Steer clear of pay day loans or easy car loans that are surrounding just about every military base, waiting to prey on young E somethings.

SCCooper

« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2009, 02:47 »
Thanks alot everyone.. if this would help.. I have absolutely no debt.. no dependants.. and nothing at all to spend any money on, haha. I just was wondering what expenses are you certain to have while enlisted.. such as food, clothing, and other necessities. My goal is to have 50,000 dollars saved when/if I get out in 6 years.. (this includes my $21,000 bonus.) Realistic?

Thanks again guys.. nukeworker is becoming my best friend :)

SCCooper

« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2009, 03:08 »
Awesome! So that method of saving is pretty effective then? I'd really like to have a good chunk ready to put down on a home whenever I make my departure from the Navy. I understand that I'll be entering the Navy as an E-3.. while in RTC will I be recieving E-3 pay?

Also..

Is it true that you get some sort of bonus for completing Nuclear Power School? My recruiter made vague, brief mention of this to me.. just wondering if it was true or just another tactic of getting me to sign papers faster.. Haha.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2009, 03:35 »
I understand that I'll be entering the Navy as an E-3.. while in RTC will I be recieving E-3 pay?
Yes, as soon as you swear in, you will start receiving E-3 pay.  Be aware, however, that EVERY recruit in Boot Camp is treated like an E-1.  You will be called "Seaman Recruit LastName", even if your paygrade says otherwise.

Is it true that you get some sort of bonus for completing Nuclear Power School? My recruiter made vague, brief mention of this to me.. just wondering if it was true or just another tactic of getting me to sign papers faster.. Haha.
For most nukes (not all), you will receive 1/3 of your enlistment bonus upon graduation from Nuclear Power School.  You will receive the other 2/3 of your bonus upon graduation from prototype.  If you are disenrolled from the nuclear program during prototype, you will have to pay back that 1/3 of your bonus.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

dynamike

« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2009, 08:17 »
Real world example:

After five years of service just made E-6, married, stationed in Hawaii and just reenlisted for 6 ($45k bonus), I was able to pay cash for a slightly used SUV ($20k) and put down 20% ($25k) on a house in SE GA so I could buy with a conventional loan.  I still had roughly $10k left in cash and a stock portfolio. I also had been maxing out mine and my wife's Roth IRA for 3 years up to that point.  I didn't take the enlistment bonus and instead took the Navy College Fund.

So that's roughly a net worth of $67k after five years of service in Hawaii.

My wife had a decent paying job (~$15/hour), we lived in housing, shopped at the commissaries only, and had no debt or children. We didn't blow money, but when we wanted something or wanted to travel, we did it.  We just lived frugally.

We also didn't just save.  We invested. Even in this rough patch, you should be able to find securities investments netting 5%, which is about double what a savings acount will get you.

Is your plan doable?  Yes! But it will take discipline and hard work. When your buddies are going out and spending loot like crazy, you can go along for the ride, but hold your wallet closely.  Let them do the drinking and you DD (one of their cars if you can).  Hell, you might even have better luck with the ladies then they do. After a few years, when they have nothing to show for their hard work except some stories & debt, you'll be sitting pretty.

I'm not saying don't live, have fun, and enjoy nice things.  Just do it in moderation.

Firstly, pick up a copy of Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey. That book changed my life and will yours if you practice only half of the principles he does.

Good luck!

JsonD13

« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2009, 10:22 »
I didn't take the enlistment bonus and instead took the Navy College Fund.

That is probably the only mistake you might have made in that whole example.  With the post 9/11 GI Bill, I would not recommend the Navy College Fund to anyone.  Also, the 50-60K that they tell you its worth was before the standard chapter 30 GI Bill was subtracted from that total (leaving you with a benefit of maybe 25-30K IF you use it).  With tuition assistance while you are in, and the excellent 9/11 GI Bill, anyone who is looking at joining the world's greatest Navy should take the enlistment bonus.

BTW, just got my first 9/11 GI Bill check, I got $3000, school got $4020 for my education just for Fall quarter.

Jason

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?