Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Leaving for basic Soon

Author Topic: Leaving for basic Soon  (Read 7163 times)

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
Leaving for basic Soon
« on: Nov 25, 2009, 08:32 »
Hey everyone!

Just a quick introduction: My name is Mike, I've been in DEP since April. I've lost over 30lbs preparing for basic. The last thing I need to worry about is getting ASMO'd... Anyway I am a college drop out with high interest in Engineering.  I lacked motivation to make it to classes and after a few semesters and finally took both my brother's and father's advice and joined the Navy. I don't know who to thank but I managed to be able of get one of the 'better' jobs in the Navy. ( I say that as I am healthy enough, scored a 92 on the ASVAB, and have no financial problems nor criminal record... hence lucky) Although Nuke wasn't anything I was familiar with when I went to my recruiter, I was deeply convinced that I wanted to be either a sea bee or nuke after talking to my brother about it. (My brother and two uncles are Nukes in the Navy).

To keep it short, I just want to thank you guys for this amazing forum that I'll will probably stick around with until I retire from the Navy. Just after about an hour of browsing I've already learned enough to say "I don't care which job I get within the nuke field." I was leaning towards EM and ET but after a few opinions read through, I know it really doesn't matter. 1. Its on the needs of the Navy. 2. The education for a future civy job is still enough to attain a great career.

I'm still very undereducated when it comes to the job prospects within the navy. How to be commissioned as a Nuke after being enlisted or how to move other positions such as a p-type trainer, RDC, etc.

Thanks for all your input, you guys rock!

Oh, and I leave in 17 short days, see you on the other side =P.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: Leaving for basic Soon
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2009, 11:33 »
Don't worry about your nuke-life for awhile.

Just keep your mouth shut for the next 9 weeks and focus on Boot.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:02 »
Just keep your mouth shut for the next 9 weeks and focus on Boot.

My brother, who graduated basic in September, told me the same thing. As simple as that seems I'm sure I will have some folks in my division who don't know how to accomplish that... and I will get beat for it I'm sure.

"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:15 »
Yep.

Welcome to the Navy, where the rules are made to offset the stupidity of the lowest common denominator.

co60slr

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:25 »
As simple as that seems I'm sure I will have some folks in my division who don't know how to accomplish that... and I will get beat for it I'm sure.
You can also look at it from the positive aspect of "getting in shape".  "Getting beat" isn't realistic in 2009.  Even 20 years ago the CCs were limited on what and how long they can exercise their Company.   My CC was Richard Simmons.  And yes, I did countless push-ups and "sharks" after comparing him with a popular exercise guru.  Instead of dreading the "beatings", I helped them start instead of waiting for the inevitable.   :-) 

Now, Navy Dive School?  THAT is a different story!  Their goal there is to get about 30% to quit the first day...and they usually succeeded. 

In any event, "pain is weakness leaving the body".  It seems to apply well in both academic and physical arenas.

Co60

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2009, 06:06 »
I can't wait. :)

(I did have some feedback for the last reply but my little sister hit the power button on my laptop =(. So I just put my last sentence up there to summarize =P.)
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2009, 06:48 by Jechtm »

~Bruce Lee

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2009, 10:39 »
Good luck, keep up the good attitude and remember always, when things seem to suck....

This Too, Will Pass.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:35 »
Well enough worrying about my future its time to think of my lovely lady, (pictured left<<)

The last hurdle I need to take on is comforting my fiancee, and forgetting about her in my first 3 weeks of boot.

I am afraid to tell her when I am on a sub it will be worse... last I heard we can recieve emails while we are out, but we cannot send anything for the obvious reasons.
For active duty, let me just get this right.

4-6 months out
 2-3 weeks port
 4-6 months out
 repeat?

I wasn't too concerned about it for me, I am in it for the challenge. I just hope she has enough to do at home to keep her busy.

Her friend is married to a nuke MM1, she says its best to stay on base.

What would be best for her? What can my soon to be wife do while I'm out?
Thanks,
Mike

~Bruce Lee

co60slr

« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2009, 12:01 »
I am afraid to tell her when I am on a sub it will be worse... last I heard we can receive emails while we are out, but we cannot send anything for the obvious reasons.
For active duty, let me just get this right.

4-6 months out
 2-3 weeks port
 4-6 months out
 repeat?

I wasn't too concerned about it for me, I am in it for the challenge. I just hope she has enough to do at home to keep her busy.

Her friend is married to a nuke MM1, she says its best to stay on base.

What would be best for her? What can my soon to be wife do while I'm out?
First, you're not guaranteed sub duty.  Then, there are many different schedules and the one you highlight is the most desired and least available.  The general thumbrule is that the harder your work, the higher your GPA, the more likely you'll get what you want from Millington, TN.  Otherwise, the Navy Detailer will usually not care if you're married as a reason to give you orders to Kings Bay, GA.

Second, your schedule and your fiancee's understanding of it is very important...from what I've seen in failed marriages.  What if you end up on a CVN deployed for 10 months?  That is a good possibility...so, will she be there waiting for you on the pier when you return?  If you're truly afraid of the truth, then I recommend you confront the situation now vice after you're married.

I think the best advice is for her to stay as busy as you'll be when deployed.   Working in the beginning of your career will help you both financially and college should be in both of your immediate futures (after you're qualified).  Finding ways to keep her "in the home" are going to make her more lonely, most likely.  Getting out with positive friends and staying busy (constructively) while you're working is, I think the key to success.  On/off base housing is a personal decision based on the housing available in the area of interest.  Personally, I always enjoyed leaving the base at the end of the work day, vice driving across the base.

Starting a new marriage at a young age and beginning nuclear training is about as challenging as you can get.  Only you and your fiancee know, and will find out what works and what doesn't.  However, I highly recommend a LOT of open communication over the course of your Navy career.  An unhappy fiancee/wife and a severely distracted husband (i.e., trying to make unhappy wife happy again) is an equation for a potentially disastrous career start.

Samabby

« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2009, 03:32 »

"What would be best for her? "  How old is she? In general it would be my opinion that she finish her education while you are in the pipe and on your first deployment.  8)

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2009, 04:53 »
"What would be best for her? "  How old is she? In general it would be my opinion that she finish her education while you are in the pipe and on your first deployment.  8)

Shes had a BA in Mathematics since last year, she has a decent job at Sikorsky Aircraft so shes financially stable... much more than me at the moment.

~Bruce Lee

Offline LivinginParadise

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2009, 05:30 »
Beware of malicious compliance with your dream sheet. Have a friend that got stationed within 10 minutes of his old home. Except his vessel is spending his entire sea tour on the other side of the country in drydock. Proof that detailers have a sense of humor too. You just happen to be the punchline.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?