Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Nuke Program, the Navy, and everything. honeypot

Author Topic: The Nuke Program, the Navy, and everything.  (Read 4998 times)

nomadd

The Nuke Program, the Navy, and everything.
« on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:43 »
I was recently released from the Navy after two years of service for a general "under honorable" discharge.  I'm sorry if this is a book, but I appreciate anyone who reads it. 

I came into the program knowing it wasn't going to be a cakewalk.  I did pretty well in a-school, passed power school, and was released from the navy two months prior to graduating prototype.  I think highly of the program and the navy and respect everything that they do for our country, but my experience has led me to doubt just how much the Commands are taking care of their sailors.

I started having anxiety and depression issues starting in a-school, in which I started talking to the chaplain and my lpo on a daily basis.  luckily, he was able to keep me calm and collect in order to finish a-school.  When power school hit, the problems came back full force, along with insomnia.  I was going 3-4 days without sleep on a regular basis, followed by a crash.  Again, I immediately went to my lpo and told him EXACTLY what was going on, of to which he replied that I wasn't working hard enough and gave me MORE hours and work to do.  I did get to see the chaplain in power school, but wasn't enough help for me at the time.  I was too scared to go to medical for fear of getting released from the program and neither was in the right mind to realize that I NEEDED to.  I consistently went to the lpo's office, voluntarily and involuntarily. (for falling asleep in class sitting down AND standing up. Keep in mind I told him I wasn't sleeping for days on end) In the end I got masted for dereliction of duty.  The same thing happened in prototype, only this time with my lpo, and the chief.  In fact, BEFORE I had even gone dink I had gone to my chain of command and told them the problems I was having.  Then one day everything cracked.  I was told that I was going to 16 hours a day, given a 14 page remedial, and told that I was going to XOI in the same day.  I had to go to the emergency room for a suicide attempt, and was sent to the adult psych ward for 14 days.  After which I was masted and told I was going to leave the navy.  In the days I waited for the separation, I ended up having to go to the psych ward again for another suicide attempt because the medicine the doctors gave me actually made me worse.  I was sent to a doctor at the naval hospital who was working with me for two weeks before I was told that my separation date was going to be before my next appointment in which he was certain he could diagnose my problem and get me on the right medication. (the doctor was certain it was bipolar disorder, but couldn't diagnose it until he got me off of the medication I was on.)

Well, now I'm out of the navy with a mental illness that still is debilitating me to the point I can't function at a mcdonalds job.  I'm left unmedicated and without a professional therapist, and no insurance to even get one for myself.  What should I do?   What can I do?

I know there are going to be people on the forum who are going to say it was my fault for not going to medical, but, again I wasn't in the right mind to realize I NEEDED to go to medical.  All I could think about was NOT getting kicked out of the program, and my mind was, and still is in a way, far from reason.

Oh, and if this is the monitor reading, PLEASE i repeat PLEASE do no delete this post.  There was no bashing of the Navy or the nuke program, just my opinion of my prior chain of command, and the want to get heard, and possibly helped, so that I may actually get on with my life and not be a nuisance to society. 

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: The Nuke Program, the Navy, and everything.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:33 »
I think your best recourse is to contact the VA or a VA support organization such as AMVETS.   Other than that, your local congessman may be able to help.  Most of the time, unless you can prove your condition was caused by, or started while you were in, the service you will have a hard time getting the VA to cover your treatment.  Good luck.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:30 »
As DDmurray stated, talking to the VA directly or AMVETS is one route.  My experience is that AMVETS is more for those looking for an advocate to get them benefits or disability.  I am sure they can help you get pointed in the right direction getting treatment, which is the number one thing for you right now.  Let me reiterate this, GO AND SEEK TREATMENT!

Are you living at home?  With anyone who can monitor you?  Being alone is probably not the best thing for you right now.

Try looking up "Mental Health" in the local phone books.  Or give a doctor's office a call.  You may have a county/city/state mental clinic available to you.  Typically you find homeless, some vets, and victims of violence in these places.  You may find that a little intimidating as you have folks with obvious trauma to folks who are out of their respective minds.  Go anyways.  Try to open as many doors as possible and ask tons of questions.

Dont focus too much on how the Navy discharged you or how you felt treated.  Based on what little you have mentioned something didnt work in the process and chain of command.  CoC aware of your issues since A school, chaplain involvment, 2 week lock up in psych, 2 suicide attempts, and visit to the doctor finally.  In the end to get an admin discharge is pretty lame with no diagnosis.  Its obvious the Navy wasnt for you but something aint right here.

Go to church, talk to family, PM me if need be.  Find an outlet.  Seek medical help.

David 

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:09 »
You give some sound advice to an individual who self-identified himself as mentally ill and suicidal.  I hope your self-immolating little stick man does give him any ideas.

Coincidence, honestly.  I think I have had that avatar for awhile, but I havent posted in some time.  If it offended I apologize, to you or anyone else.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?