Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu HP Tech Position and screening test difficulty honeypot

Author Topic: HP Tech Position and screening test difficulty  (Read 4387 times)

simoco

HP Tech Position and screening test difficulty
« on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:56 »
Hi all, just got this site from a friend. I did some searching but found nothing really similar in this topic.

I applied for an HP Tech (training position) and I made it into the next screening stage of the application process.  I am new to the HP field, but have a BS in Biology and have had RAD training in the past through DOE (5yrs back, worked in a national lab). My current job is outside the field (medical field right now) so I feel I forgot a lot of the calculations and conversions (not sure if i would pass the CORE test because of that). The screening stage involves a test which will evaluate my math and science. Does anyone know what this test would actually entail? With my history should I be worried about the test? Or should I study something in particular. Should I look at this evaluation as the CORE test or something considerably easier? All I know is I can use a calculator and it is about 2 hours. Just a little concerned, as I have really no clue what to expect.

Thanks for any info.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: HP Tech Position and screening test difficulty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:22 »
The answer depends on which 'screening' test you are taking.

There is a test called the TOSS Test which is similar to the MASS and POSS tests which you can find information about on this site with a simple search. That test is the kind that tests your abilities more than your knowledge. It is about spatial abilities, logic, math, reading comprehension and other such subjects.

There is another test called the NUF (Nuclear Utilities Fundamentals) which used to be called the NEU or Northeast Utilities test which covers RP Fundamentals like half-life calculations, decay modes, gamma and neutron interactions, air activity calcs, and related subjects. It is more RP specific and may require some significant dusting off of disused brain cells if you have not been using them recently. If you never had to deal with that information in your previous job, you need some serious study. Information for that test can be found on this site including study guides and some practice test questions.

There is another much more serious test called the NRRPT Exam which is a real bear and requires more experience than you seem to have even to sit for the test. Although some utilities require that their techs pass the test within a certain time span of being hired, no one really uses it as a 'screening' test... only the NRRPT and approved proctors can give the exam.

The test you are probably going to take is the TOSS or MASS test. Do a search on those words (or POSS, which is for Operators) and you should find what you need.

And, welcome to Nukeworker.com
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: HP Tech Position and screening test difficulty
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2009, 02:33 »
Hi all, just got this site from a friend. I did some searching but found nothing really similar in this topic.

I applied for an HP Tech (training position) and I made it into the next screening stage of the application process.  I am new to the HP field, but have a BS in Biology and have had RAD training in the past through DOE (5yrs back, worked in a national lab). My current job is outside the field (medical field right now) so I feel I forgot a lot of the calculations and conversions (not sure if i would pass the CORE test because of that). The screening stage involves a test which will evaluate my math and science. Does anyone know what this test would actually entail? With my history should I be worried about the test? Or should I study something in particular. Should I look at this evaluation as the CORE test or something considerably easier? All I know is I can use a calculator and it is about 2 hours. Just a little concerned, as I have really no clue what to expect.

Thanks for any info.

see your PM. ;).

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2009, 03:04 by 105KW »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?