Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Why do people make careers in Nuclear Operations?  

Author Topic: Why do people make careers in Nuclear Operations?  (Read 13519 times)

RBPD

Hello to everyone here at Nukeworker, and thank you for the opportunity to post some questions. I have read a lot of the threads here and I cannot understate how helpful the information and perspectives have been in rounding out my expectations of what the Navy's nuclear program will look like. It really shows how useful technology is when information can be shared so easily.

By way of a short introduction, I enlisted this past April in the Nuclear Field program and I will leave in a few months for boot camp. I choose to enlist in the Nuclear Program for two main reasons: 1) I want to serve in the military, and 2) I am fascinated by power generation. Additionally, I wanted the chance to apply myself to a challenging program.

Here are my questions: what motivates people in the field of nuclear operations to remain in the field after the navy? Is there anything specific to nuclear operations that provides a greater amount of job satisfaction?

Thanks,

Mike

JustinHEMI05

Re: Why do people make careers in Nuclear Operations?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:48 »
Money.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:55 »
Its like this dude...

So far I have 2600 hrs on the books and I still have 2 weeks left this year. However, I have worked less hours than a deployed year in the Navy, have had more weekends, more sleep, more job satisfaction, less head aches, zero rackouts, and they usually only call me at home to come in for more OT.

And its nuclear, so it aint nothing new for me to learn, just building on the basics from the Navy.

RBPD

« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2009, 12:00 »
I think I should clarify my questions. I meant them to be separate, i.e. is there anything specific about nuclear operations as opposed to another field of applied engineering that provides more job satisfaction?

Sorry for the confusion.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2009, 12:31 »
excellent question RBPD. Consider the idea that there was already a certain amount of satisfaction working with nuclear generation in the navy that going into the private sector where you can do pretty much the same thing and make more money would be very attractive.

Many navy nukes get out and find something else to do. Most stay in the field because they like it or like the money.

Good luck Mike, Welcome to the nuke field and welcome to Nukeworker.com
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009, 12:34 by Smart People »
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2009, 01:53 »
Hello to everyone here at Nukeworker, and thank you for the opportunity to post some questions. I have read a lot of the threads here and I cannot understate how helpful the information and perspectives have been in rounding out my expectations of what the Navy's nuclear program will look like. It really shows how useful technology is when information can be shared so easily.

By way of a short introduction, I enlisted this past April in the Nuclear Field program and I will leave in a few months for boot camp. I choose to enlist in the Nuclear Program for two main reasons: 1) I want to serve in the military, and 2) I am fascinated by power generation. Additionally, I wanted the chance to apply myself to a challenging program.

Here are my questions: what motivates people in the field of nuclear operations to remain in the field after the navy? Is there anything specific to nuclear operations that provides a greater amount of job satisfaction?

Thanks,

Mike

Money, Time off and doing something unique

RBPD

« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:26 »
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I'm not making any plans past the next few months or so and I hope to learn a lot in that time and following. I think that the more perspectives -- even if they are other peoples, and especially if they are experienced people's -- I can bring to something, the more I will take away from it.

RBPD

« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:17 »
I apologize; I did not develop my comment sufficiently. I mean to say that my intention in posting my question is to gain a broader understanding of what is rewarding about the nuclear field so that I can be more aware as a student of the value of what I will be studying.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:35 »
I think I should clarify my questions. I meant them to be separate, i.e. is there anything specific about nuclear operations as opposed to another field of applied engineering that provides more job satisfaction?

Sorry for the confusion.

A leisurely tour of searching through just the Forum categories would yield a plethora of topics to fill that hunger...

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:50 »
As one SM put it to me recently, "no one does this because they like it." :) I am sure there are a couple (Broadzilla) :P that live for it, but the benefits and money is what it really comes down to.

withroaj

« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2009, 01:26 »
... It's not like that anymore, so I don't ask the question out of the later ELT's, some of the specialness is no longer there...

My good sir, I must respectfully take issue with this statement.  The specialness is still there (the community we inherited from you is still hand selected by ELT's), some just need to be taught.  We are still masters of our domain, the only nukes entrusted to perform without automatic protective features.

I will admit to you, though, that the dashing personality and inherent air of excellence has turned more into a desirable trait than a requirement...

... and the second best spades player on my boat(s).

For us young whipper snappers, Pinochle defines glory.

To RBPD:  I can't answer for life after the Navy, but I can offer you a small morsel for you as you wait.  Every step of the game for the first three or four years is going to feel like the biggest thing you've ever encountered.  Every step will pass.  Keep focused on your immediate situation, but don't let it overcome your reality.  Understand that there's something bigger beyond everything you are currently doing in the Navy, even (maybe: especially) if you're getting out.  Take it as it comes, do your best, and don't get too caught up in it. 

Make sure you have a good time with it, as well.  Too many people forget to enjoy their Navy time (and I'm NOT a huge diggit saying this).

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2009, 01:39 »
We are still masters of our domain, the only nukes entrusted to perform without automatic protective features.

Thus the advent of the autotitrator.  ;D
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

withroaj

« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2009, 01:59 »
Thus the advent of the autotitrator.  ;D

Well played, sir.  However, until they invent the automatic chemical measurement/addition machine, the automatic survey meter/documenter, the automatic job coverage...  We're still an elite community.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2009, 02:27 »
My good sir, I must respectfully take issue with this statement.  The specialness is still there (the community we inherited from you is still hand selected by ELT's), some just need to be taught.  We are still masters of our domain, the only nukes entrusted to perform without automatic protective features.
Perhaps that tells you how important it really is - it requires no automatic protective features.  ;)
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2009, 03:31 »
Well played, sir.  However, until they invent the automatic chemical measurement/addition machine, the automatic survey meter/documenter, the automatic job coverage...  We're still an elite community.

Don't they have auto sampling & analysis now?

Auto chem adds won't be far behind...  Y'all will get caught up in this whole microchip revolution sooner or later  ;)

Even though I know they're joking, I'll never have to hear another ELT ask me what I want chemistry to be...
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2009, 03:44 »

I will admit to you, though, that the dashing personality and inherent air of excellence has turned more into a desirable trait than a requirement...

For us young whipper snappers, Pinochle defines glory.

To RBPD:  I can't answer for life after the Navy, but I can offer you a small morsel for you as you wait.  Every step of the game for the first three or four years is going to feel like the biggest thing you've ever encountered.  Every step will pass.  Keep focused on your immediate situation, but don't let it overcome your reality.  Understand that there's something bigger beyond everything you are currently doing in the Navy, even (maybe: especially) if you're getting out.  Take it as it comes, do your best, and don't get too caught up in it. 

Make sure you have a good time with it, as well.  Too many people forget to enjoy their Navy time (and I'm NOT a huge diggit saying this).

You got that right. I remember when I first saw a maneuvering area and thinking "OMFG, how am I ever going to learn all of that?" Then I got to my commercial plant and saw the control room and though "OMFG, there is no way anyone knows all of that." Now, its like home. Just take baby steps and take ownership of what is in front of you and it will build until you truly are the master of your domain.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2009, 04:43 »
However, until they invent the automatic chemical measurement/addition machine

ELT, circa 2020 AD

withroaj

« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2009, 05:17 »
Perhaps that tells you how important it really is - it requires no automatic protective features.  ;)

As far as I know we get the biggest number of dedicated inspectors when the NPEB comes for a visit.  THAT tells me how important it really is.

Okay, fine.  I know we're all just having fun here.  Everybody actually recognizes the importance of the ELT.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009, 07:51 by withroaj »

Offline LivinginParadise

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2009, 06:29 »
As far as I know we get the most dedicated inspectors when the NPEB comes for a visit.  THAT tells me how important it really is.

Okay, fine.  I know we're all just having fun here.  Everybody actually recognizes the importance of the ELT.

Of course we do, easy mechanic checkouts :p

I kid... for the most part.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:02 »
As far as I know we get the most dedicated inspectors when the NPEB comes for a visit.  THAT tells me how important it really is.

You must be right. The other NPEB members are not that dedicated at all.  However, that RL div inspector, now he's super-dedicated. 
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

withroaj

« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:51 »
You must be right. The other NPEB members are not that dedicated at all.  However, that RL div inspector, now he's super-dedicated. 

I didn't think about reading it that way.  I could have worded that sentence better.  I meant the highest number of NPEB members looking exclusively at RL Div paperwork.

Offline Superdave7

• Very Lite User
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:58 »
Of course we do, easy mechanic checkouts :p

I kid... for the most part.

Hahahaha, he's not kidding, ELT slackers.  Man, spades is one of the few things I miss about the Navy (USS Nevada tournament champion, circa 1998).

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:38 »
ELT...we swiped, we sampled, and we were experts at going double nil.  Not necessarily in that order.

Dave

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2009, 08:49 »
I didn't think about reading it that way.  I could have worded that sentence better.  I meant the highest number of NPEB members looking exclusively at RL Div paperwork.
So there you have it.  The most important thing RL Div does is paperwork!  Next thing you're gonna say is that RL div is so important, they get their own section on the exam report!  One of the functions of the NPEB is to verify that the nuclear fleet accurately reports the amount of radioactivity discharged overboard and that the nuclear fleet accurately maintains exposure records for the crew.   So I guess I should be thanking RL div because their paperwork is so much more important than the rest of the ENG dept records, that some records get excluded from review.

From despair.com:  "Worth:  Just because you're necessary, doesn't mean you're important."

On a lighter note, an ELT and I were two-time Spades champions on the 633B , circa 88-89.
T. Roosevelt

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2009, 11:22 »
Among the most important things I've ever witnessed in my career was an RP keep an operator (focused on his LO/TO paperwork and nothing else) from sticking his unmonitored and unprotected head into a helmet sized hole with >100k mrad smearable and >4 <5 gray inside.

Like you said;

no automatic protective features,....

but I do have a meter and an RP's sense (nee ELT) of where the bad stuff is likely to be,...

As has been posted before, the NRC (and the Navy too) rarely, if ever, will yank the keys for RP stuff;

occupational workers are replaceable,....

reactor heads cost real money,...

but, on one backshift, many, many moons ago, at least one operator (and his wife and kids) felt that one necessary yet unimportant RP (nee ELT) had some worth,.......

perhaps your definition of worth depends on where you stand (or sit) in the organization,....
Look, I was poking Withroaj in what I intended to be some good-natured ribbing.  I am a nub in the civilian nuclear industry.  I’m not qualified to quantify anybody’s worth to the industry.  I think that everybody who stands a watch or performs work in support of either pushing a platform or putting power on the grid is worthy of my respect and admiration.
T. Roosevelt

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?