Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy College/SMART honeypot

Author Topic: Navy College/SMART  (Read 12467 times)

JustinHEMI05

Navy College/SMART
« on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:30 »
I am trying to get official copies of my SMART transcript, but I can't get into any of the navy NKO sites. I keep getting an invalid security certificate error. Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with those sites right now?

Thanks

Justin

Offline navsteve

• Light User
Re: Navy College/SMART
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2009, 07:11 »
Must be the website.  I got the same error.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2009, 07:39 »
This is a problem that NKO (and similar government sites) experience.

Because it's required to use HTTPS, with an SSL certificate (the traditional method of encrypting web pages) the NKO website needs a Certificate Authority (CA) to validate their SSL certificate.

There are a number of accepted Certificate Authorities that authenticate SSL certs.  These include Verisign, Thawte, Geotrust, and GoDaddy.  They are essentially trusted 3rd parties.

The NKO website doesn't use these trusted 3rd parties, and instead has their certificates authenticated by the U.S. Government.  Your browser doesn't recognize the U.S. Government as a CA, hence the certificate error.

There should be a way to override that, in your browser's security settings.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009, 09:23 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline navsteve

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:33 »
I tried from my home computer and works fine.  Must be a setting you can change.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2009, 09:03 »
Thanks guys I will check it out.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2009, 09:42 »
Hmm I still can't figure it out. Both FF and IE8 are giving me these issues on both of my home machines. Weird.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2009, 09:51 »
When attempting to access these websites, it should give you a giant glaring warning about the certificate not being signed by a trusted CA.  It should also give you the option of continuing to the website anyway.

Go ahead and click on the "Yes, I know what I'm doing. Take me to the website" link.

If you're still having troubles, PM me and we'll get it straightened out.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2009, 09:57 »
Yes you are correct, it lets me do that in IE8, but not FF. I wonder if the the fact that I have my router going through opendns has anything to do with it? But I don't know much about these things so I am just guessing. Thanks for your help thus far.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2009, 05:01 »
I get the "Invalid client certificate" error when I try to access my application status on the STA-21 website. Turns out, you have to be at a CAC terminal to be able to get to it now....

I have been able to "add exception" for NKO and things of that nature. Hopefully yours is just a browser issue and not the former.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2009, 08:12 »
Yeah I did get it to work somehow on my netbook using IE. I forget what I did exactly, I think I just got lucky.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?