Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu More advanced sub between the Seawolf and Virginia class, and other ?'s.  

Author Topic: More advanced sub between the Seawolf and Virginia class, and other ?'s.  (Read 16887 times)

PotentialNuke

i am a DEPper and another candidate for the nuke program. i am curious as to which sub is suposed to be more advanced than the other, and how one goes about being a part of one of these crews. i was fortunate to get nuke and want to be the best i can be, and imagine that working on the best class of vessel more or less determines the proficiency that the crew member has. please correct me if that is a fallacy. i am also curious about the rates of ET or ELT, anybody with knowledge and preferably experience in these areas, please inform me. i am looking for the hardest rate, or at least the one that might be considered hardest by the highest dropout rate. all in all, i will hopefully be glad to be a part of your community, thank your for your time.

Offline Fast Neutron

• Light User
Gentle comrade!  There are many answers to your questions on this forum.  But first, you mustn't write as if you were text messaging.  Nuclear field personnel look down upon this. The people on this forum will challenge you to speak well before you go on asking for the most challenging job.  They will also disagree on which rate is most challenging, since they have their own experience and opinions. 

For some reason, ELT and ET get asked about as if they were directly related.  They are not, but the letters sound similair.  You must be a MM (machinist mate) and then get selected for "c" school to be an ELT.  Machinist Mates work on machinery, such as turbines, while ELTs spend time working on machinery and especially water chemistry.  ETs (electronics technicians) run the reactor controls and repair the electrical (computer) hardware associated with the reactors.  Remember, this job is not as sexy as it sounds.  They sit in front of a box of gauges for six hours at a time, and the computers are often "obsolete" by consumer standards.  The computers are computers, but most are related to tried and true technologies.

Enjoy your browsing on these forums, and good luck and thank you for your service in advance!

(P.S. you can edit your post to look more professional by looking at the right of the screen at your post when logged in.)

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2010, 08:04 by Fast Neutron »

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Here's Sovbob's Imaginary Interview with PotentialNuke(tm)

Hi, can you help me?
Sure, I'm always eager to help those new to our community.

Great!  Ok, here's my first question.  What's the most advanced class of submarine?
Well, the Virginia class is the newest design, so I suppose it's the most advanced.

Ok, how do I get on a sub?
You crawl down the ladder.

What?
Nevermind.  It's a joke.  You'll be given an opportunity in boot camp to volunteer for sub duty.  If you don't volunteer, you'll have another chance to volunteer when you're at prototype.  Nobody is assigned to a sub without first volunteering for it.

Ok, but how do I make sure I'm on a Virginia sub?
Well, there's no way to guarantee you'll be assigned to a Virginia class submarine.  You can REQUEST a Virginia class sub, but the Needs of the Navy take precedence over your personal desires.

Ok, how do I REQUEST to be on a Virginia sub?
You'll be given a "dream sheet" in prototype.  When filling it out, you list where you would like to be assigned and if you have any preference for a class of ship.

So, if I'm on a Virgina class submarine does that mean I'll be the most proficient?
Not really.  The classes of ship are significantly different from one another.  The best way to become proficient is by studying hard in school, studying hard in quals, and plain ol' fashioned experience.  Newer designs may alleviate problems of older designs, but they introduce new complexity.

So, is a Virgina better than, say, a Seawolf?
Better?  Probably not.  The Seawolfs were designed to fight the soviet fleets.  The Virginias were designed to be more modular and flexible in their roles.  They were also supposed to be cheaper, but that didn't really happen.

What's the difference between an ELT and an ET?
That's a lookup.

What's a lookup?
It's where I don't spoon-feed you answers to questions I feel you're capable of finding on your own.  Try doing a search of the forums.

Ok.  What's the most difficult rate?
They all have their bad days.

Yeah, but which one has the highest failure rate?
That would probably be the DSROs.

What are DSROs?
Nevermind. It's another joke. Look, they're all pretty much the same in terms of difficulty.  It's not like being an MM or an ET will magically make you a better nuke.  I've seen very good and very bad nukes in all the ratings.  If one of them sounds more enjoyable, request that one.

Thanks.  I'll probably be back with more questions later.
I'm sure you will...
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2010, 08:24 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

JustinHEMI05

No, the class of sub does not determine the proficiency of the crew. All of our subs are advanced, and you would be lucky to serve on any of them. And, you don't get to choose, you will take what you are given.

As for your other questions about rates, there are countless threads about those questions here.

Good luck!

JustinHEMI05

Forgive my text speak, but...

I <3 SovBob  :P

PotentialNuke

thank you guys for your help and comments. i think i will enjoy the nuke community. most of you seem to have advanced senses of humor and can be blunt when needed.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Here's Sovbob's Imaginary Interview with PotentialNuke(tm)

Hi, can you help me?
Sure, I'm always eager to help those new to our community.

Great!  Ok, here's my first question.  What's the most advanced class of submarine?
Well, the Virginia class is the newest design, so I suppose it's the most advanced.

Ok, how do I get on a sub?
You crawl down the ladder.

What?
Nevermind.  It's a joke.  You'll be given an opportunity in boot camp to volunteer for sub duty.  If you don't volunteer, you'll have another chance to volunteer when you're at prototype.  Nobody is assigned to a sub without first volunteering for it.

Ok, but how do I make sure I'm on a Virginia sub?
Well, there's no way to guarantee you'll be assigned to a Virginia class submarine.  You can REQUEST a Virginia class sub, but the Needs of the Navy take precedence over your personal desires.

Ok, how do I REQUEST to be on a Virginia sub?
You'll be given a "dream sheet" in prototype.  When filling it out, you list where you would like to be assigned and if you have any preference for a class of ship.

So, if I'm on a Virgina class submarine does that mean I'll be the most proficient?
Not really.  The classes of ship are significantly different from one another.  The best way to become proficient is by studying hard in school, studying hard in quals, and plain ol' fashioned experience.  Newer designs may alleviate problems of older designs, but they introduce new complexity.

So, is a Virgina better than, say, a Seawolf?
Better?  Probably not.  The Seawolfs were designed to fight the soviet fleets.  The Virginias were designed to be more modular and flexible in their roles.  They were also supposed to be cheaper, but that didn't really happen.

What's the difference between an ELT and an ET?
That's a lookup.

What's a lookup?
It's where I don't spoon-feed you answers to questions I feel you're capable of finding on your own.  Try doing a search of the forums.

Ok.  What's the most difficult rate?
They all have their bad days.

Yeah, but which one has the highest failure rate?
That would probably be the DSROs.

What are DSROs?
Nevermind. It's another joke. Look, they're all pretty much the same in terms of difficulty.  It's not like being an MM or an ET will magically make you a better nuke.  I've seen very good and very bad nukes in all the ratings.  If one of them sounds more enjoyable, request that one.

Thanks.  I'll probably be back with more questions later.
I'm sure you will...

Great response!
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

ranger2

thank you guys for your help and comments. i think i will enjoy the nuke community. most of you seem to have advanced senses of humor and can be blunt when needed.

I'll be more blunt: Crying out loud...Please capitalize the first letter in each sentence and the subjective pronoun "I"! Your text-typing makes my eyes hurt.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2010, 08:41 by ranger2 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
i am curious as to which sub is suposed to be more advanced than the other, and how one goes about being a part of one of these crews.

I would suggest a Type 094 boat, since it is the newest design to be constructed worldwide. Also, being proficient on the JL-2 system will help you make rank quickly! Besides, who wants a dreary homeport like Rotten Groton or Norfork, when instead you can enjoy lush tropical climate and great resort beaches on Hainan. Only the best of the best get through the Type 94 program.

ranger2

For the most part fission is fission, and the steam cycle is what it is. If I were to reveal which boats were getting warp drives and photon torpedo upgrades, I'd have to kill you.

Best bet is to graduate at the top of your starfleet academy class and never be the junior guy on the away team.

Chimera

But you won't like our bluntness.  I couldn't help but notice that in one hour you were incapable of learning how to type like a grown-up person - an essential quality (the ability to learn quickly) for most nukes.  The ability to absorb information is useless without the ability to apply it.

ranger2

i know. i am just so [expletive deleted] because i dont capitalize the beginning of my sentences and pronouns. for all of you [expletive deleted] that spent x amount of time getting a degree in english, [expletive deleted] and die.

Another essential quality for most nukes is a thick skin (something you have revealed you clearly do not have). Oft times a nuke will poke the bear with a stick just to see what reaction he gets. Sometimes the reaction is as entertaining (albeit inappropriate) as yours. Though most of us do not have an english degree, we somehow learned to read and write our native tongue along the way. Perhaps it was the school system that failed you.

Seems you do not appreciate humor or bluntness as much as stated. I think the nuke community will enjoy having you around too. ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2010, 06:56 by ranger2 »

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
i know. i am just so XXXXed up because i dont capitalize the beginning of my sentences and pronouns. for all of you jackasses that spent x amount of time getting a degree in english, XXXX off and die.

edited by Gamecock to remove profanity

So your questions were answered, and on top of that you got some constructive feedback on the way that you're expected to present yourself in writing while you're in the Navy and beyond.  Then you come back and tell us to XXXX off?  That's not cool.

I actually didn't respond to your original post simply because of the way it was formatted.  If someone isn't going to take the time to at least present themselves in a semi-professional manner, I'm not going to take the time to respond to the questions.  Kind of sucks for you since I'm an ET with over 20 years of time in and I've worked on almost every type of instrumentation and control system that the Navy has (for surface ships anyway)...  That's not important now though, 'cause I'm not really motivated to help someone who shows their gratitude by telling the people who were trying to help them to XXXX off.

Congrats on your enlistment, it's a rewarding job if you work at it.  Most of all good luck!  You're going to need it if you keep burning your bridges the way you just did here.

"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
For the most part fission is fission, and the steam cycle is what it is. If I were to reveal which boats were getting warp drives and photon torpedo upgrades, I'd have to kill you.

Best bet is to graduate at the top of your starfleet academy class and never be the junior guy on the away team.

No matter what, do NOT wear a red shirt to an uncharted planet.!

Star Trek goofyness aside, I usually ask the forum members to take it easy on newbies.  They have, within the past week, chased away one new member with their harshness.  BUT, nobody here has been harsh in the least.  In fact, the very helpful suggestions that they posted here were done in rather gentle fashion.

Your response, in contrast, has been ... er...well... to put it bluntly...STUPID and PIG-HEADED!  Social failures?  Get a clue newbie.  These guys come here to connect with colleagues and to HELP YOU.  You don't have to worry much about serving with those potential a$$#0les because you have very low probability of making the cut.  The fact is that if you can't take these guys, you don't stand a motherf%&*ing chance in a billion in the actual Navy.  If you want to be a submariner, even more so.  Yeah, the "new" nuclear navy has a low drop rate, but to get in to it you first have to get through recruit training.  Then, when you graduate, you have to serve in the fleet.  Nobody in either of those communities likes nukes to begin with.  An arrogant, disrespectful nuke with an attitude like yours will last a few minutes at best.

Lookie here, you have been given an opportunity to put your best foot forward.  You blew it.  Now, try again.  Get used to it, because where you are going it will be required at all times - not just when you feel like it.  If you have a problem showing courtesy and respect to those who have been where you wish to go, you are the one with the problem, a HUGE problem.  Better get a grip on that now when the consequences are not so severe.  You give that attitude in the Navy ... well, you had better like scrubbing nasty stuff on weekends, because that is where it will surely get you.

Now, take a breath or two. Chill out, and come back with a better attitude.  Show some respect.  Realize that it is YOU who is asking for something here, and that when asking for something - like help, advice, or information - the very least you can do is to be considerate of those from whom you are asking it.  Capitalization, punctuation, sentence structure, and all that other stuff you were taught in school at taxpayer expense, are not just signs of a good education. They make your writing easier to read and understand.  They make it so that the reader doesn't have to work hard to find out what you are trying to ask.

All that politeness, respect and consideration are definitely more important than you seem to think they are.  But, the fact is that you are going to ask permission to operate a NUCLEAR REACTOR that we happen to own.  If you expect to get that permission, you will need to demonstrate that you ALWAYS and WITHOUT FAIL do a job correctly and don't take shortcuts.  Start now.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2010, 05:06 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Nukeworker Rule #4

4. Please learn to be respectful, tolerate and support each other.  NukeWorker.com's goal is to help others, not see how many people we can annoy. Do not initiate arguments or tension. This will only cause the triggering of other members and make this site less professional.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2010, 06:54 by Marlin »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
i am a DEPper and another candidate for the nuke program. i am curious as to which sub is suposed to be more advanced than the other

Sea Wolf and Virginia Class are newer and more advanced that the Los Angeles class still in service since late 1970s. The Sea Wolf and Virginia class were designed for different missions. The Virginia class is a multi mission littoral vessel designed for the more current threats.

and how one goes about being a part of one of these crews.

Volunteer but the needs of the service will ultimately decide.

i was fortunate to get nuke and want to be the best i can be, and imagine that working on the best class of vessel more or less determines the proficiency that the crew member has. please correct me if that is a fallacy. i am also curious about the rates of ET or ELT, anybody with knowledge and preferably experience in these areas, please inform me. i am looking for the hardest rate, or at least the one that might be considered hardest by the highest dropout rate. all in all, i will hopefully be glad to be a part of your community, thank your for your time.

All of this has been covered to a large degree already on many threads, just a little work will get you a wealth of knowledge.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2010, 07:04 by Marlin »

ranger2

alright. douche bags listen: i do not care about naval xxxxxxx standards and dont give a ssss about your experience anymore. and to any potential aaaaaaaa out there who might end up serving with me, hopefully your arent as bitchy as they guys. if this is what the naval nuke community is like, im definitely 6 and out. who needs the accompaniment of social failures when a real world exists?

The flaw in your analysis is the majority of the responders to your post are former navy nuke, current real world commercial nukeworkers. The standards to which you refer are not only navy standards, they are real world standards. This "social failure" holds a real world senior reactor operator license at a real world commercial facility and prays for the opportunity to interview you for a real world job after your 6 and out (in the highly unlikely event you make it that far without having been duly calibrated) (see previous comment regarding the burning of bridges).

P.S. It's "per se" not "par  se":

"per se": –noun by, of, for, or in itself; intrinsically.

Origin:
1565–75; < L per sē by itself, trans. of Gk kath’ autó
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2010, 07:42 by ranger2 »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Okay, that is all we need.

PN, I'm just going to have to be satisfied with the certainty that you have a really big attitude adjustment coming at you doing Mach3 and carrying a payload bigger than your inflated ego.

You came here.  We didn't invite you, but we let you in.  In return you have done nothing but embarrass yourself.

Nobody here has the slightest doubt that you are going to have a very difficult time in the next few years.  If you disagree, that just proves the point.

Now, extract your enormous head from you rectum and don't post here again until you do.

Topic locked.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?