Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Have some questions I need answered, please help. honeypot

Author Topic: Have some questions I need answered, please help.  (Read 11066 times)

lead82

I'm currently a high school senior and interested in enlisting in the navy. I have a 3.6gpa, 29 ACT and 1270 Critical Reading + Mathematics SAT, and I've done extensive extracurricular activities and a sport every year. I am also in a dual enrollment program and will be equivalent to a college junior by the time i graduate high school. I scored a 98 on my ASVAB and am physically fit enough to pass navy requirements already. My plan is to enlist and go through the nuclear pipeline as an mm.

Here are my questions. I want to put in a package for STA-21 after completing Prototype. Is that possible? I've heard that only Students or Staff can apply for STA-21 as a nuclear option. Also, the website states that only 18 colleges are approved for the nuclear option, however, the nuclear coordinator that I've been talking to says that that's not true. I want to finish my B.S. in chemistry at the Ohio State University, but as I've read, that college is not approved. Who is correct? The coordinator or the website? Also, Nuke School consists of college level course work, how much credits of physics and mathematics would I receive from it towards the Ohio State University. I also realize that the STA-21 program requires an ACT and/or SAT score. I've taken both at the beginning of 2009, would I have to retake them if I am planning to apply after Prototype? I have also been told that the STA-21 program is in conjuction with NUPOC. Does that mean that I could apply for both and be accepted into both? Also, what is the typical waiting time between boot camp and A-School, A-School and Nuke School, and Nuke School and Prototype? I also want to eventually earn a Ph.D. in chemistry, would the Navy allow me to do so at a school of my own discretion? Also, at my time from A-School through Prototype, what am I allowed to do as far as weekend liberties and holidays?

I am very confused with how everything is going to turn out. I know that nothing in the military is ever gauranteed unless it's signed on contract. I just want to know what's true and what's not true. The only reason why I want to enlist first is for the enlistment bonuses, otherwise, I would apply for the NROTC scholarship. Please answer my questions as soon as possible, I may have more questions later on, but this is all that I can remember for now. Thank you all for your help.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Have some questions I need answered, please help.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2010, 11:36 »
Here are my questions. I want to put in a package for STA-21 after completing Prototype. Is that possible? I've heard that only Students or Staff can apply for STA-21 as a nuclear option. Also, the website states that only 18 colleges are approved for the nuclear option, however, the nuclear coordinator that I've been talking to says that that's not true. I want to finish my B.S. in chemistry at the Ohio State University, but as I've read, that college is not approved. Who is correct? The coordinator or the website?

Only staff and students in the pipeline can apply directly for the nuclear option. Should you decide to wait until you get to the fleet, you can still apply for the Core option which would allow you to apply to the Nuke community while in college. Yes, there are only 18 approved schools for those selected directly for the Nuke option. However, if you were picked up Core option, that limitation would not apply and you could still end up being a Nuke anyway.

There are drawbacks to your plan. The Core option is much more competitive as everyone who applies for STA-21 is allowed to put it as a second choice. Applying as a student will place you against those in the pipeline and a few Staff Instructors, applying for Core will have you competing against a much larger pool of candidates with varying degrees of accomplishments. Alternatively, you could apply to be a Staff Pickup, which would allow you to apply Nuke as well as allowing you to finish the pipeline.

Also, Nuke School consists of college level course work, how much credits of physics and mathematics would I receive from it towards the Ohio State University.

You need to speak with someone at Ohio State, as the answer to this question varies with every school of which it is asked. My guess would be zero

I also realize that the STA-21 program requires an ACT and/or SAT score. I've taken both at the beginning of 2009, would I have to retake them if I am planning to apply after Prototype?

The test must have been taken within 3 years of submitting your application. The deadline is July 1 every year, so no more than three years before that.

I have also been told that the STA-21 program is in conjuction with NUPOC. Does that mean that I could apply for both and be accepted into both?

No.

Also, what is the typical waiting time between boot camp and A-School,

2 Days. 9 if you count Indoc

A-School and Nuke School,

1 week to 2 months, assuming no hangups with your security clearance.

and Nuke School and Prototype?

14 days.

I also want to eventually earn a Ph.D. in chemistry, would the Navy allow me to do so at a school of my own discretion?

No, not while you're in the pipeline. Good luck when you're assigned to a ship....

Also, at my time from A-School through Prototype, what am I allowed to do as far as weekend liberties and holidays?

There are some limitations while you're in A School for the first couple of weeks, but I wouldn't worry about that until I got there....

I am very confused with how everything is going to turn out. I know that nothing in the military is ever gauranteed unless it's signed on contract. I just want to know what's true and what's not true. The only reason why I want to enlist first is for the enlistment bonuses, otherwise, I would apply for the NROTC scholarship.

You're very confused because you have obviously done zero research on your own. You said you looked at the STA-21 website, but did you seek out any of this information you're asking for regarding the program? Or was it just wishful thinking that your Nuclear Recruiter Coordinator isn't lying to you and telling you what you want to hear? The STA 21 website was the official instruction this year because the new revision didn't come out in time for applicants to adhere to it. I'd say the information on there is as accurate as you're going to get.

If you want to be a nuclear officer, go the NROTC scholarship route. If you want to enlist, then do that. But your grand scheme of scamming the system for all its worth is only going to end up with you getting disappointed somewhere along the line, and if you're like most recruits/students, it will all be the Navy's fault. Getting picked up for STA is not a guarantee by any means and is $20,000 really worth the risk of not achieving what you want/think you're capable of for 6 years?

Please answer my questions as soon as possible, I may have more questions later on, but this is all that I can remember for now. Thank you all for your help.

I almost didn't respond because of this statement. You're already asking people to do research for you on how you spend the rest of your life, and now you want it quickly?

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/

You can figure it out from there.

Cheers,

-Nuke MM Staff Pickup FY-10 STA-21 Selectee

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2010, 11:49 »
I almost didn't respond because of this statement. You're already asking people to do research for you on how you spend the rest of your life, and now you want it quickly?

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/

You can figure it out from there.

Cheers,

-Nuke MM Staff Pickup FY-10 STA-21 Selectee

Great response....and good assessment.  That's exactly the reason I did not respond.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2010, 05:52 »
Goobs, great answer.

I would just like to simplify one thing.  An intelligent HS Senior/College Junior should be able to figure this out.

Notwithstanding the greater academic aptitude of the nuke, the Navy has a certain ratio of officers to enlisted.  It is only logical to assume that there are far fewer admirals than seamen.  Therefore, the odds are far too slim for anyone to bank on becoming an officer by enlisting.  STA is not the correct avenue to pursue if you are a civilian wishing to become an officer.  In the history of the Navy, every program for commissioning enlisted personnel has existed for the purpose of opening opportunities for enlisted personnel who have great potential as commissioned officers - period.  They never have been, and never will be, a significant source of officer accession - for very good reasons.

Yes, to get a HS student to enlist, a recruiter will always mention the possibility of STA in order to make his sale.  But, there is a possibility that I have already won $10 million from PCH.  I'm not going to buy a yacht just yet.

So, here's the simple part that I was talking about:
If you want to be an officer, talk to an officer recruiter about officer programs.
If you enlist, expect that you will most likely be enlisted for all your days in the Navy.

You don't put bread in a toaster and expect pizza to come out of it.  Likewise, you don't enlist in the Navy and expect to become an officer.  If you do not intend to do six years as an enlisted person, do everyone else a favor (and especially yourself) and do not enlist.l
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

lead82

« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:34 »
I did not intend to seem that I have not done my research. I've searched that site thoroughly, but as I've said, I've been told different things, maybe the site wasn't updated? I do not mean to make excuses though, and I appreciate all the help you've given me. You've all cleared up my questions, and sorry and thank you all for your troubles in helping me. Happy new year.

imthehoopa

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2010, 05:04 »

and Nuke School and Prototype?

14 days.

Just a tiny correction on a very accurate post. This wait is currently much longer. When submitting prototype preferences, the last class to graduate as well as the current senior class are being told 2 month minimum wait. The majority of the last class to graduate (November 20) just received their prototype assignments this week and they still have to wait until February 8 to report. My suite-mate is among them.

If two months of volunteering around Goose Creek (this is what you do on hold) is not what you have in mind for after NPS, you may opt to take college courses through Navy College Campus. It is convenient to be allowed time to work towards any future degree, but most people don't want to spend their "break" between NPS and NPTU by taking more classes. In this case, the time you spend between NPS and NPTU may be 4-5 months.

In case any of you were wondering whether or not you get to choose which prototype you get to go to, you get to "choose" in the last month or so of power school. As with almost everything in the Navy, you submit your preferences and go where the Navy needs you. The most recent update we've gotten is that if you are a current or soon to be MM in power school, 70% of us are going to NY.

-MM3 imthehoopa

Offline antwon510

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:04 »
Question, I was told recently by a friend with questionable ties to the navy, that nukes, especially subs, are advised to freeze their sperm before going on deployment because there's a high risk of infertility. Is that true?

I tried doing some research on this and wasn't able to find much on the subject other than "u walk around with a meter that measures the dosage of radiation u can get before u go infertile," from another blogging website (much less credible than nukeworker :]).

Is any of this true or is it all bologna?

Thanks

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:46 »
Question, I was told recently by a friend with questionable ties to the navy, that nukes, especially subs, are advised to freeze their sperm before going on deployment because there's a high risk of infertility. Is that true?

I tried doing some research on this and wasn't able to find much on the subject other than "u walk around with a meter that measures the dosage of radiation u can get before u go infertile," from another blogging website (much less credible than nukeworker :]).

Thanks

Complete bologna.

As a navy nuke (on a submarine) I can tell you that I was never advised to freeze my sperm.  Furthermore, I was never at risk of becoming infertile.  The amount of radiation exposure you receive is extremely low.

To put it in real numbers.  (Note: These are approximations)

Amount of radiation exposure needed to cause reddening of the skin: 100 Rem
Amount of radiation exposure needed to cause nausea: 250 Rem
Amount of radiation exposure needed to cause infertility: 700+ Rem (localized to reproductive organs)

Amount of radiation exposure received from the environment annually: 0.3 Rem
Amount of radiation exposure received from a submarine reactor annually: 0.1 Rem

The part about walking around with a meter is true.  The ELTs do perform regular surveys of the ship to check for radiation levels and contamination.  But infertility?  Completely untrue.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2010, 12:54 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:16 »

Thanks

I also heard that if you get bitten by a spider that has been exposed to radiation you can start climbing walls and develop heightened senses... or if you are exposed to enough you develop the power to fly and turn yourself into a ball of fire, or turn invisible or stretch yourself like an elastic band, or turn into a rock... or that tomatoes that get exposed grow to 50 feet tall and start to walk and attack people.   ::)

Hmmm... come to think of it, there may be some anecdotal evidence that radiation exposure turns you into a rock. Some of the people I have worked with... well, never mind.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:18 »
Hmmm... come to think of it, there may be some anecdotal evidence that radiation exposure turns you into a rock. Some of the people I have worked with... well, never mind.

"Evil Roger" said that I assume.  :)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:23 »
"Evil Roger" said that I assume.  :)

I blame it on the radiation exposure I received over my career.  :D
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:34 »
When I read these questions do you have any idea how tempting it is to reply with;

"Yes, absolutely yes, you should begin filling your freezer with frozen haploids immediately. If you get started today you may very well have four or five gallons of frozen future generations before you ever start going to sea. Your spouse can attempt the fertilization of her ovum while you are away, and she may even be able to time the birth to occur when you are scheduled to be in homeport."

I'm just saying,......

Somebodies bound to do it if you suggest it,....

Eventually, they'll let somebody on the boat in on their grand plan,....

And another Navy nuke legend will be born,.....

I'm always amazed that Navy nuke candidates can be so smart in some arenas, and so downright goofy in others,....

(although I hold fast to the notion that antwon510 likes to troll and chum, which is OK, it's a free country, it would be nice if he'd pony up some bucks for GM, I mean with all that enlistment bonus laying around,...non-monetized as it were,...)

:P  ;)  :D  ;D  ;D  :P  :-\  8) (sic)

It might be a good thing for a wife to convince her husband to do before going out to sea... that way when the baby was born 10 months after he left, she could still swear it was his...

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:15 »
It might be a good thing for a wife to convince her husband to do before going out to sea... that way when the baby was born 10 months after he left, she could still swear it was his...

Evil Roger again..... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:40 »

And the guy from Gold crew whose shoes are under the bed was just a Navy Relief volunteer watching the kids while she runs errands ;)

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:18 »

Thanks
HaHa, Way, way back when I was heading for nuke subs (>30 yrs ago) the rumor mill had it you would have to get all the metal fillings in your teeth replaced due to nuclear activation of the metal. Also after being under water for a run you would past out with your first breath of fresh air. The stories I heard about "hot bunking" will not be repeated in this forum. There were also references to "pig boats" that dated back to WWII still being told. However the stories of "golden flapper awards" were true.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:33 »

Thanks

Just don't tea bag any hot pipes  ;).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?