Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How to go From Licensing to Operations? honeypot

Author Topic: How to go From Licensing to Operations?  (Read 3302 times)

FX Engineer

How to go From Licensing to Operations?
« on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:00 »
Greetings Everybody,

A bit of my background:
I was a Submarine Navy ET1 qualified up to reactor operator.  My boat was in the shipyards so the qualification was not "real" in that we did not have a critical reactor and so the qual was phase 2 (of 3) towards becoming an RO.  In any case, the only reactor I operated was in prototype.  All my other Navy experience was in a non-critical reactor.  Thus, I do not qualify (I don't believe) for having the 2 years of being qualified to manipulate or direct the manipulation of control rods in a military reactor as required by ACAD 09-001.

I got the Excelsior B.S. in NET and when I got out of the Navy I went to work in the planning department of a civilian nuke plant as an Electrical/I&C Planner.  I did that for 1 1/2 years and then transferred to the licensing department because I thought it might be more interesting.  I have been in licensing for 1 1/2 years as well.  So total of just over 3 years of commercial nuclear experience in addition to my Navy time.

The question:
I am learning that licensing may not be what I want to do when I grow and I am interested in operations since I work with them on a daily basis. However, I have gotten used to my standard of living at my current salary and I cannot seem to think of a way to get a job in ops without losing a significant portion of my income (at least for the first couple of years).   I don't believe that I qualify for the direct SRO route based on my military background and the other option I can think of is to go work in Engineering for 3 years so that I can qualify via the plant staff engineer route.

Can anybody recommend a career path?

--FX
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2010, 11:28 by FX Engineer »

adrianI

Re: How to go From Licensing to Operations?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2010, 09:08 »
I believe being qualified RO for 4 years would qualify you for direct SRO. Why don't you just ask what the min. qualifications are for direct SRO?

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2010, 11:01 »
There are alot of people on here with much more experience and knowledge than me, but I have gone through the ACAD extensively trying to determine which section, if any, I met for direct SRO (None, so I got a job at a plant in the engineering dept as step 1).

I don't know what your degree is, but You probably don't need to be in Engineering for 3 years.  You can use up to 2 years of your time getting your BS (if the degree program qualifies), and the third year as a "plant staff engineer."  Waivers can also be arranged if you are an ideal candidate, and they will just hold onto your license until you meet the missing requirements - although they would have to really want to have you...

If I am wrong, I am sure that someone will point it out very soon  ;)

I hope this helps.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:50 »
Since you're already employed by the company, have you looked at the internal job postings to see what is available? 

Working in Licensing, you most likely know some of the senior people in Ops management.  Have you casually talked to any of them about moving over?

FX Engineer

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2010, 12:29 »
Thanks for the comments thus far.

I have talked to my OPS management.  They think I might still qualify for the direct SRO (although from everything I have read that might not be the best path for me in terms of getting the right knowledge). I gave him my resume so he can give it to the training department to verify requirements.  He told me that in the past they have hired people into the RO program even though they are bargaining unit employees.  They would just have to get permission from the union first.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?