Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Question about what type of boat for an officer  

Author Topic: Question about what type of boat for an officer  (Read 6108 times)

dmartin

Question about what type of boat for an officer
« on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:06 »
What type of sub would you guys recommend for a single non-qual nub.

- long time reader, first time posting

I was just accepted into the NUPOC program last November and am starting OCS Jan 24th, so I am a while off before I even get the opportunity to have the Navy tell me where I'm going, but I'm asking out of curiosity.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2010, 11:08 by dmartin »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:08 »
The kind that goes under water.  ;D

Depends on what you want. Want to see the world? Fast Attack/SSGN. Not? Missile boat.

dmartin

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:10 »
Yeah, sorry I just realized how vague I was in my post. I would love to serve on a fast attack for my first tour, and I am open to being stationed off the mainland. I would love to see the world.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:27 »
Yeah, sorry I just realized how vague I was in my post. I would love to serve on a fast attack for my first tour, and I am open to being stationed off the mainland. I would love to see the world.

Sounds like you already know what you want. 

Are you looking for someone to talk you out of it?
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

dmartin

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:56 »
Yeah I suppose, one thing I've love about this website is the ability for you guys to show us nubs how wrong we actually are. I know its easy to get ideas of grandeur when your still in the pipeline, or like me haven't even started it yet. I am wondering if there are certain submarines with certain missions that make it extremely difficult for a JO to be able to handle while trying to get qualified, or is that something I shouldn't really be worrying about. I would love to be able to re-sign after six years and be able to successfully take on the challenges of each stage of my career to the best of my ability, and I want to make sure that I make the right decisions now to put myself in the best position. 

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Question about what type of boat for an officer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2010, 01:21 »
I am wondering if there are certain submarines with certain missions that make it extremely difficult for a JO to be able to handle while trying to get qualified

If there were, we couldn't tell you. OPSEC.

dmartin

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2010, 01:29 »
Yeah I guess I didn't think of that sorry. I should probably just not worry about it.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:48 »
Go Fast while you can, its much easier without a wife and kids. I did it the other way around; I was terribly bored on the boomer and didn't see my family much on the fast boat.

Content1

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:26 »
I would recommend any sub that has a track record where adding the number of dives to the number of surfaces gets an even number.   Any other combination means you either sank to the bottom or are in a flying sub.

Neutron_Dodger

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:42 »
link=topic=22783.msg118218#msg118218 date=1263833768]
I am wondering if there are certain submarines with certain missions that make it extremely difficult for a JO to be able to handle while trying to get qualified, or is that something I shouldn't really be worrying about.
Quote from: dmartin [/quote

No matter where you go, you're quals are the same.  The process is there... let it work.  You will eventually be fast attack tough... get it out of the way early so you can get tactical experience...that doesn't happen on a SSBN.  You will def see more ports on an SSN/SSGN, better while single. 

JDLong

« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2010, 04:01 »
You probably cannot control where you go. If you want to "see the world" the go to a fast attack if you have a choice. When you get there you'll get your butt kicked by the quals. Then, You'll get thrown into a position you will initially be lost in like MPA. Listen to your Chief and do everything he says. If you are lucky you will immediately go on deployment. If you are unlucky you will go to an extended shipyard period and want to stick your head in a freezer. 

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 10:26 »
If you are unlucky you will go to an extended shipyard period and want to stick your head in a freezer. 

The freezer is too slow. I recommend the trash compactor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?