Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu All ELT's, please do not be offended, for I am only seeking to be informed. honeypot

Author Topic: All ELT's, please do not be offended, for I am only seeking to be informed.  (Read 65562 times)

Marvin

How many ELT's does it take to field day nucleonics?

Depends.......

Only one if you can use real ammonia and a mask.  Comes clean really fast.

Sure hope this doesn't give any of those young fellas any ideas.

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
Where would you ever get the idea that an ELT was the best?  SMAG's, all of them...

ELT - L(oser) = ET; finest rate in God's Navy. 

Werd. If all the zeros drop dead, whose the man in charge of the plant?  The RO, yup... there you go.

There's this myth thing that Smags are the best, but that's because they do the least. They skate. When there's something to be done... whoops, I gotta go check something in Nucleonics. Field day, they all fight to be in Nucleonics... where nobody watches. The ELT doesn't stand watch, but occaisonally comes back to the plant for a sample (seems like today, just to raidio the sample anyway, sadly). When refit rolls around... oh, I gotta go find radcon gear... yea... right. Or they do that 10 hr RAM transfer thing and hang out on the tender the 9hrs 45 mins doing "paperwork". Hmmm...

I'm just joking. Smags are by and large good people. Usually the homebrewers too. It was a Smag that got me hooked on homebrewing.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Werd. If all the zeros drop dead, whose the man in charge of the plant?  The RO, yup... there you go.

If by RO you mean the EWS (who can come from any rate), then sure.

And an ET calling out smags for being skaters....priceless. ;)

To the OP, everybody rate bashes. Its all in good fun (see above lol). And most people understand that every rate is important and serves a specific purpose, without which, the plant couldn't be run correctly.

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
I fondly recall a watch on CVN-68 during our return to Norfolk from the Med, where by some freak of nature we ELTs were pretty much running #2 Plant.  The PPWO was the RL Division Officer, the PPWS was the Leading ELT, and we had ELTs at every MM station on the reactor side.  I was the Feed Pump watch (my first one after finally getting signed off).  It was (as expected) a flawless watch with perfect logs and no plant transients.  However, since this caused a serious disruption in our daily Spades tournament being held in the RL Division Office we immediately undertook efforts to ensure that this watch rotation never again occurred.  I later learned that the RO (Reactor Officer - equal to the Engineering Officer for you non-carrier types) was pleased. 
Dave

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
 Hey airplane guy-All stop there shipmate.To implicate your brothers in a public forum on a topic such as radioing logs is a pretty serious thing. I know you'll say just kidding, but that's bs too. While on topic- cardinal sin commited-erroneous use of the English language whilst harpooning your shipmates. Could result in at least 2-3 pages of pounding in the divisional fun log. It could go something like - when you say "raidio" what do you mean ? Would this be like the thing at Entebbe or perhaps an insect repellent related thing. Or maybe yo great grandaddy rode with Quantrell. I also think port and starboard rotation on a 2 month N. Atlantic cruise counts for standing watches. And who did all the ETs come a crying to when they wanted their scivvies to be white again ? Thats right- the wizards running the in-plant laundry service unbeknownst to but a few selected  watchstanders - oh yeah- that would mean the ELT must have been on watch to coordinate the midnight cofferdam recirc. with the RO and the charging station MM. The slight level increase in the tank ? An insurge followed by and outsurge led to some shrink followed by some swell and dont bother us when laundry is being passed out cause ours is done and white and I am longing for my pit and the lullaby of them screws a turning. Night,night.

« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 07:30 by fiveeleven »

cruzcampo

I just want to say, an ELT was the only person I ever saw insert a glass stirring rod int an unmentionable (and potentially very painful) place.  Therefore, if they are the best of the Navy Nukes...what the hell does that say about the rest of us?

We had an electrician do it.  Then he meger'ed (if that's even a word) the same area to see if the resistance changed.

There was an ELT who did attempt to perform surgery on himself in the form of removing hemorrhoids with a Gerber.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
The urge to perform bladder soundings-must go with the breed.An ELT on 68 was trying to depart his obligated time early.This is the truth-attempted a level check with a piece of wire, and upon removal left some insulation in his tubing and reported to the duty corpsman(I carpooled with the corpsman back/forth to NJ).This act did not get him what he wanted, so one fine morning in one plant(pierside-S/G's in WLU) after calculating a 98 ml CHEMICAL add he proceeded to perform a 980 ml addition.Makeup water trucks were lined up all the way to serv-mart. He got his discharge.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2010, 09:21 by Gamecock »

Offline LivinginParadise

• Light User

To the OP, everybody rate bashes. Its all in good fun (see above lol). And most people understand that every rate is important and serves a specific purpose, without which, the plant couldn't be run correctly.

Let me Elaborate on that. Everyone who's BTDT and "rates" to bitch about other rates does so. Non-rated A-School trash, non-qual boat trash, and any pipeline trash in between need not apply, lest you really want a size 12 up your ass...

JDLong

Anyone who gets stuck in ERF for 6 years, would obviously be delusional and get grand ideas of being really important and the "best".

Offline modex

• Light User
Manning on some boats necessitates that ERF is manned by 3/4 elt's or 3/3 elt's. Thus the ELT's would be stuck in ERF for their entire tours. I understand that around a decade ago M-Div and RL-Div manning was much higher than it is now, but that is no longer the case.
If you want to make E-7, go ET. If you are satisfied with the worst promotion rates out of all nuclear rates, go ELT.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Manning on some boats necessitates that ERF is manned by 3/4 elt's or 3/3 elt's. Thus the ELT's would be stuck in ERF for their entire tours. I understand that around a decade ago M-Div and RL-Div manning was much higher than it is now, but that is no longer the case.
If you want to make E-7, go ET. If you are satisfied with the worst promotion rates out of all nuclear rates, go ELT.

ELT is not a rate....

You are a MM first.  ELT is a collateral duty.  So, if you are a good MM, with an important collateral duty, then you get a good eval....and you make chief early.

Its those guys who just want to sit around in nucleonics and whine and complain about not getting advanced that never make chief.

Cheers,
GC

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
This has got to be some of the worst advice ever given on NW.   Show me the statistics that back up this claim.  I can give you examples of guys in all rates that made Chief early and/or were selected for LDO.   Job performance is the biggest factor in advancement.

Besides, all right-thinking nukes know that EM is the best rate.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User

Fortunately the rest of us know that's just the Carbon deposits working their delusional "magic". ;)

BWT, if they replaced all the MGs with Static Inverters, what do 'Tricians whine about now if not "MG Hell Week"?
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

drayer54

This has got to be some of the worst advice ever given on NW.   Show me the statistics that back up this claim.  I can give you examples of guys in all rates that made Chief early and/or were selected for LDO.   Job performance is the biggest factor in advancement.

This made me reflect on all the days that I would have had off if I were an EM. I could have gained several days of my life that I spent doing work. We had a chief that always asked the same question to Electricians on boards: you are standing by XXX in 2 plant and realize that it's 11am and the rest of your division is gone, what's the fastest way off the ship?
Now I realize that it was quite possibly the most applicable and relevant board an electrician could receive. [salute]
All right thinking nukes who want to go home and play a whole lot of video games underway know the best rate.
Submarines may vary.... (Our ELT's/ET's seemed to work alot so [salute]

Cycoticpenguin

You make rank off your evals and test scores, and that "magical" "need of the navy"... Ive seen "@#$% hot" chiefs and master chiefs (for example, my favorite chief of all time was an EMCM, made master chief in less then 12 years. My a school chief, a mechanic, made it in less then six). Ive seen all rates with varied "rate of ranks", and it really boils down to those three simple facts...  I asked my Aschool chief how he made rank so fast, and he responded with a simple, yet poignant statement "Do your job".

Gamecock -> Our ELT's were full time ELT's and could barely support their own manning, much less "be a mechanic". Last time I checked, ELT was still an NEC dude...
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2011, 07:47 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
Advancement Stats (% of eligible selected) from E-7 board the last two years (1st listed is sub, 2nd surface)

2010:
EM:  21.4/18.69
ET:  33.6/36.07
MM:  15.44/13.28

2009:
EM:  17.96/17.05
ET:  36.07/11.83
MM:  13.28/13.6

Sub ET was the way to go.  These stats do have a tendency to cycle and more MMs (by raw number) make CPO, but they have a larger pool to select from.

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2011, 05:56 by DDMurray »
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

JustinHEMI05

You make rank off your evals and test scores, and that "magical" "need of the navy"... Ive seen "@#$% hot" chiefs and master chiefs (for example, my favorite chief of all time was an EMCM, made master chief in less then 12 years. My a school chief, a mechanic, made it in less then six). Ive seen all rates with varied "rate of ranks", and it really boils down to those three simple facts...  I asked my Aschool chief how he made rank so fast, and he responded with a simple, yet poignant statement "Do your job".

Gamecock -> Our ELT's were full time ELT's and could barely support their own manning, much less "be a mechanic". Last time I checked, ELT was still an NEC dude...

He was speaking of submarines, where ELTs are (should be) still mechanics. ELTs are still Machinists Mates, whether you like it or not.

Justin
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2011, 08:20 by JustinHEMI »

Cycoticpenguin

He was speaking of submarines, where ELTs are (should be) still mechanics. ELTs are still Machinists Mates, whether you like it or not.

Justin

I never had a problem with calling them mechanics... they were the ones always fighting against it ;)

JustinHEMI05

I never had a problem with calling them mechanics... they were the ones always fighting against it ;)

That is because surface ELTs are worthless.

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

That is because surface ELTs are worthless.

Justin

ok.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Maybe in the rest of the navy working hard was the way to make upper rate.  Not on my boat or submarine tender.  I have met a couple of good chiefs, but I am being very honest here, most of the people in khakis I worked for except for 3 chiefs, 1 captain, and many good JOs who eventually got out were terrible.  Not just dheads, that too, but just terrible leaders with their heads so far up the rest of the chain of command's a$$ it was laughable, and sad.  Yes this was my opinion and the opinion of almost every other blueshirt on the vessels, but they were so bad it was eerie.  A buddy of mine, who was a great ET (I was an ELT and not a very good mechanic), ended up working for an admiral on the tender while he was convalescing for bone cancer.  The admiral told him frankly, this organization is going downhill, get out now even though you only have 10 years until retirement.  The only time I saw a large proportion of people that desered the rank they wore was when I met a few of the crew of the NR1 when I was in drydock with them.  Those guys were worthy.  Maybe I just got the wrong commands.....

Cycoticpenguin

Maybe in the rest of the navy working hard was the way to make upper rate.  Not on my boat or submarine tender.  I have met a couple of good chiefs, but I am being very honest here, most of the people in khakis I worked for except for 3 chiefs, 1 captain, and many good JOs who eventually got out were terrible.  Not just dheads, that too, but just terrible leaders with their heads so far up the rest of the chain of command's a$$ it was laughable, and sad.  Yes this was my opinion and the opinion of almost every other blueshirt on the vessels, but they were so bad it was eerie.  A buddy of mine, who was a great ET (I was an ELT and not a very good mechanic), ended up working for an admiral on the tender while he was convalescing for bone cancer.  The admiral told him frankly, this organization is going downhill, get out now even though you only have 10 years until retirement.  The only time I saw a large proportion of people that desered the rank they wore was when I met a few of the crew of the NR1 when I was in drydock with them.  Those guys were worthy.  Maybe I just got the wrong commands.....

stay in long enough, and rank comes... I was implying making it "fast".

drayer54

stay in long enough, and rank comes... I was implying making it "fast".
Some good quotes on the subject:
"Rank is what you wear, Respect is what you earn" and "It pays to know your job, but in the Navy, if you don't, it pays the same"
These pretty well explain samiches situation.

I think that everyone feels the direction is going down when they leave or move up. I think that is natural. The guys leaving when I arrived said it and I said it when I left.
I think that saying is normal. Unless of course we are on a downward spiral :-[...

Rank in all kinds is earned by time in or working hard to get it quicker.
I wish the Navy would accept that some people can be good at their job, but not be a good leader. I have worked for some people who were technically there and very gifted, just not leaders or good with people. Some people get forced into positions that are just not a good fit for them. I've met a few wearing Khaki that I think should keep the pay but put a blue shirt back on and do what they were actually good at. (Just my opinion)

Cycoticpenguin

Some good quotes on the subject:
"Rank is what you wear, Respect is what you earn" and "It pays to know your job, but in the Navy, if you don't, it pays the same"
These pretty well explain samiches situation.

I think that everyone feels the direction is going down when they leave or move up. I think that is natural. The guys leaving when I arrived said it and I said it when I left.
I think that saying is normal. Unless of course we are on a downward spiral :-[...

Rank in all kinds is earned by time in or working hard to get it quicker.
I wish the Navy would accept that some people can be good at their job, but not be a good leader. I have worked for some people who were technically there and very gifted, just not leaders or good with people. Some people get forced into positions that are just not a good fit for them. I've met a few wearing Khaki that I think should keep the pay but put a blue shirt back on and do what they were actually good at. (Just my opinion)

Brace for" what it means to be a chief" discussion....

I agree with you in regards to sammiches, and mr jones is a prime example of an idiot making rank fast, but it still boils down to those principals for the majority of people.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
my ET buddy wasn't on his way out, he assumed the admiral would give him advice to stay in, but no.  but he did decide to take his advice. for him, it ended up being an excellent move.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?