Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu All ELT's, please do not be offended, for I am only seeking to be informed.

Author Topic: All ELT's, please do not be offended, for I am only seeking to be informed.  (Read 65564 times)

PotentialNuke

I am wondering why the position of ELT is considered the "best" position to have in the Nuclear Navy? I have read a few posts that have contained references to this, ergo sparking my curiosity as to why this rate is so "esteemed". I do not intend to belittle any rate, as I have not even been to RTC yet.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
From Merriam-Webster On-Line:

Main Entry: chau·vin·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈshō-və-ˌni-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French chauvinisme, from Nicolas Chauvin, character noted for his excessive patriotism and devotion to Napoleon in Théodore and Hippolyte Cogniard's play La Cocarde tricolore (1831)
Date: 1851
1 : excessive or blind patriotism — compare jingoism
2 : undue partiality or attachment to a group or place to which one belongs or has belonged
3 : an attitude of superiority toward members of the opposite sex; also : behavior expressive of such an attitude

Disclaimer: I have never been in the Navy, but have worked with thousands who have been, many of whom were ELTs. This is not an attack on any group or individual, just a likely answer to the original question. I am confident that this will be disputed... by the ELTs.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

JustinHEMI05

They're not. ELTs are stupid, ugly and their mother's hate them  :P :-* Oh, I was an ELT.  ;D

@Marssim +1

Content1

ELT's  are the top of the food chain of Navy Nukes.   In ancient Greece similar people lived on Mt. Olympus.   They are generally nice to the non-Elt's but don't challenge them or you'll be sorry.   Only a certain few ever become ELT's, and they are prized in the Nuclear industry when they leave the Navy.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
I just want to say, an ELT was the only person I ever saw insert a glass stirring rod int an unmentionable (and potentially very painful) place.  Therefore, if they are the best of the Navy Nukes...what the hell does that say about the rest of us?
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
I just want to say, an ELT was the only person I ever saw insert a glass stirring rod int an unmentionable (and potentially very painful) place.  Therefore, if they are the best of the Navy Nukes...what the hell does that say about the rest of us?

And why the heck were you watching ??? ???
 :-[
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
HD, because it was WESTPAC day IDK, on the mid watch, I was off going and bored, and someone bet him $5 he wouldn't do it.  In that situation, why the heck wouldn't I watch it.  The only other entertainment options were "Major Payne" for the 40th time, or 4 year old Penthouse forums. :P
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2010, 03:08 by crusemm »
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
It's like, when you know the train wreck is gonna happen, you can't not watch it. ;D

Content1

HD, because it was WESTPAC day IDK, on the mid watch, I was off going and bored, and someone bet him $5 he wouldn't do it.  In that situation, why the heck wouldn't I watch it.  The only other entertainment options were "Major Payne" for the 40th time, or 4 year old Penthouse forums. :P

I don't think I ever saw or wanted to see someone's unmentionable while on a sub.   Since my lead 1st Class was a big version of one, didn't see the need to see any more of them.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
I am wondering why the position of ELT is considered the "best" position to have in the Nuclear Navy? I have read a few posts that have contained references to this, ergo sparking my curiosity as to why this rate is so "esteemed". I do not intend to belittle any rate, as I have not even been to RTC yet.

"Esteemed" might be the wrong word...  Generally, Active Duty ELT's are the only ones with enough energy at the end of the day (usually about 9am for them) to spend time on the internet discussing their "jobs".  I'm actually surprised that there aren't more EM's on here, as they routinely beat the ELT's off of the boat!   ;)

All kidding aside, IMHO you can't pick a "bad" rate as a nuke.  It's not the rate that's respected, it's the person.  Look at what each rate is responsible for and pick one that interests you.  Then work your a$$ off and it will pay off greatly...  It doesn't matter whether you do 6 years or 30 years, just do the best you can for the time that you're there.

I must say that I'm rather partial to being an ET, but that could just be a little Stockholm Syndrome kicking in since I was an ET for 21 years.
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Samabby

Potential, always keep in mind that the needs of the Navy will generally determine your Nuke speciality. Good luck, son.  8)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
One excellent distillation and precipitate! :) +K!

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
I had a mathmatical explanation for all the different rates, but can't seem to find what I did with it on here.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
I had a mathmatical explanation for all the different rates, but can't seem to find what I did with it on here.

I'm sure that by the next Administration and PC-indoctrinated Admirals, the different rates will be shuffled and be renamed:

Paladin
Thief
Magic-User
Cleric
-and-
Half-Elf Archer

>:(

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
I'm sure that by the next Administration and PC-indoctrinated Admirals, the different rates will be shuffled and be renamed:

Paladin
Thief
Magic-User
Cleric
-and-
Half-Elf Archer

>:(

You forgot to add Ogre(MM)
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
You forgot to add Ogre(MM)
No no no, the Ogre's are A-Gangers, Trolls are Torpedomen, Dark elves are the ST's...
Paladin's are obviously straight MM's
Magic users are ET's
Cleric's are ELT's (Praying at the Sink)
Thieve's are EM's.

But the absolute rulers of all are the geeks that dress up in raincoats on weekends and play Vampire and have Magic decks.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
Cros screwed defined: Sketch charge/discharge then animate a primary add,and while we're here how bout an ORT followed by an overboard discharge. Good, now lets sketch RPFW and animate normal lineup then a quick look at plant cooldown. Good, now a short glance at main feed and lets talk about lighting off one of the old sow MFPs. Good, now lets jot down all of our sound powered phone circuits, primary/secondary functions and some jack locations. But, but I wanna be an ELT not an EM..wah. I still remember EM2 ******'s name,and I still hate him. Class 7902 AIW. MM2/ELT USS NIMITZ CVN-68 80-84. bohica.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010, 07:37 by fiveeleven »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
when I was in prototype (1989) it was top 25%.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
when I was in prototype (1989) it was top 25%.

Its not anymore to 25% anymore.  We take all GPAs now for ELT.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
No no no, the Ogre's are A-Gangers, Trolls are Torpedomen, Dark elves are the ST's...
Paladin's are obviously straight MM's
Magic users are ET's
Cleric's are ELT's (Praying at the Sink)
Thieve's are EM's.

But the absolute rulers of all are the geeks that dress up in raincoats on weekends and play Vampire and have Magic decks.

And the Nucleonics Lab of 2020 will have no reagent bottles or chemicals, just some fancy digital analyzers, some 20-sided and 8-sided dice, and 3-D VR goggles to play WoW and Avatar: The Tree People Strike Back review the computer analyses?   >:(

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
And the Nucleonics Lab of 2020 will have no reagent bottles or chemicals, just some fancy digital analyzers, some 20-sided and 8-sided dice, and 3-D VR goggles to play WoW and Avatar: The Tree People Strike Back review the computer analyses?   >:(
Not too far off now with auto titrators

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
What ? No more opportunities to train the M-Divvers on the benefits of  making the level in the AgNO3 bottles go down at least weekly. What a shame-how will the location of the raisin-jack fermentation station be known to the primary siders. Question - Is the main machinery LPO still a nuke ? I understood why this was, but of the ones I knew, they tended not to be happy shipmates.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
   The ELT qualification has undergone a number of changes over the years. The first weren't even an engineering rate it was the boats Corpsman. Mechanics (ELTs) eventually took over radiological and chemistry responsibilities and when TLD's were introduced the MM ELTs took over dosimetry. Prior to that, the Corpsman read and reported exposure from film badges, we did help read the film density and count neutron recoil tracks on the film but it was primarily the Corpsmans job. The film badges were developed in the ELTs nucleonics lab the same place were pictures taken through the periscope were developed. Becoming a nuke was determined by your GCT/ARI score then rating assigned by your request and by aptitude tests. It was a likely that you were assigned to an electrical rating due to lack of mechanical aptitude as it was by presence of electrical/electronic aptitude. For a short period of time EMs and ICman were selected as ELTs but the additional splitting of responsibilities across divisional lines made this impractical.
   I am sure that it will continue to evolve with the "Needs of Navy". My personal experience of success of Nukes after the Navy seems to show a higher success rate of ELTs in many fields not just commercial power. Here in Oak Ridge I am aware of a company owner, President, and Chief Operating Officer that were exELTs (also ex Fast Attack submarine sailors  ;) ).

The debate may continue but being an exELT Fast Attack sailor myself my ego demands that I acknowledge the truth as I know it and proffer the exalted rate of ELT as Best of the Best.  8)

co60slr

Most Sailors believe "their rate" is the best.  It's simply a matter of "Pride" which is what you'll find attached to your thread here.   The stories of "how it was done back in MY day" are mildly informative, but always entertaining.  We all have our stories.

Perhaps the unbiased answer (although difficult) is to say that ALL rates are important.   Running a Nuclear Power Plant is very complicated with countless requirements that have to be met.  If your [Insert your favorite rate here] doesn't do his/her job, than there are dozens of scenarios that will keep a Naval Vessel tied to the pier...shutdown and cooled down.  Do "ELTs save the day?" ...no.  Not anymore than other nuclear engineering rates.

I've met ELTs that are completely miserable in the jobs and ETs that are happy to skip to work on their way to the next Deployment.

What matters the most is what do YOU hope to get our of your Nuclear Navy career?   Where do ELTs work on the "outside" after 6 years?  What does the ELT career ladder look like if you stay in for 20-30 years?  Is the RCT lifestyle for you...assuming you go on to RCTQS?  Is the Health Physicist an interest to you?   

For the old-timers on here...just how many ELTs does it take to "field day Nucleonics" during a boat-wide field day?  ;-)

Co60

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Most Sailors believe "their rate" is the best.  It's simply a matter of "Pride" which is what you'll find attached to your thread here.   The stories of "how it was done back in MY day" are mildly informative, but always entertaining.  We all have our stories.

Perhaps the unbiased answer (although difficult) is to say that ALL rates are important.   Running a Nuclear Power Plant is very complicated with countless requirements that have to be met.  If your [Insert your favorite rate here] doesn't do his/her job, than there are dozens of scenarios that will keep a Naval Vessel tied to the pier...shutdown and cooled down.  Do "ELTs save the day?" ...no.  Not anymore than other nuclear engineering rates.

I've met ELTs that are completely miserable in the jobs and ETs that are happy to skip to work on their way to the next Deployment.

What matters the most is what do YOU hope to get our of your Nuclear Navy career?   Where do ELTs work on the "outside" after 6 years?  What does the ELT career ladder look like if you stay in for 20-30 years?  Is the RCT lifestyle for you...assuming you go on to RCTQS?  Is the Health Physicist an interest to you? 
Co60

Does anyone hear a puppy barking? Maybe just ELT envy.  ;)

For the old-timers on here...just how many ELTs does it take to "field day Nucleonics" during a boat-wide field day?  ;-)
Co60

All of them if they can get away with it.  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?