Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New I & C Technician
honeypot

Author Topic: New I & C Technician  (Read 15041 times)

navy_hower

New I & C Technician
« on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:52 »
Hello all.  I am new here, but I just got an offer at a power plant.  (Rather not say the name until its official and I am signed on with them).  Anyway, Im going to be an I & C Technician.  Are there any other I & C Techs here in any civilian plant??  Id just like to hear what you have to say about it.  Thank you for your time.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: New I & C Technician
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:01 »
Hello all.  I am new here, but I just got an offer at a power plant.  (Rather not say the name until its official and I am signed on with them).  Anyway, Im going to be an I & C Technician.  Are there any other I & C Techs here in any civilian plant??  Id just like to hear what you have to say about it.  Thank you for your time.

If you have general interest questions, feel free to post them here...a lot of the guys can give you answers whether they know anything or not.  Oh...wait...I mean they can give you answers without being I&C techs!  ;)

PM me anything you'd like to keep off the open boards...I'm I&C... 
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:09 »

If you are not an I&C tech already, you shouldn't have been hired as one.
If you've been working as an I&C tech in another industry, you just think you're qualified to be a nuclear I&C tech.
If you're coming out of the Naval nuclear program, you are in for a huge shock.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions.  I have 25 + years civilian experience, and 8 + years Navy experience. 
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:14 »
If you are not an I&C tech already, you shouldn't have been hired as one.

???

How are we going to replace all the guys retiring if we don't hire some new techs?
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2010, 05:15 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

navy_hower

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:26 »
Im sure its totally different than the navy.  Huge shock though??   Good or bad???  It cant be all bad if you've been doing it for 25 years.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:57 »
I used to work with IRLFAN, he's a hell of a good I+C Tech.  I get his point. By saying are there any other I+C Techs out there you're implying you already are one, when in fact you are not. Watch closely in about 9 or 10 years you might be qualified to carry his tools for him. Until then I'd take his advice. If you have any specific questions ask him.

Mike

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2010, 11:43 »
I used to work with IRLFAN, he's a hell of a good I+C Tech.  I get his point. By saying are there any other I+C Techs out there you're implying you already are one, when in fact you are not. Watch closely in about 9 or 10 years you might be qualified to carry his tools for him. Until then I'd take his advice. If you have any specific questions ask him.

Mike

Mike & IRL

Maybe you guys are right that they shouldn't be hiring "I&C Techs" straight off the street...I know it was a real eye-opener for me when I came over from RP & saw how much more intense I&C is (possibility of tripping the plant, etc.)

But...these companies are hiring us as I&C...so how would you like us to designate that we aren't "worthy of carrying your toolbags", but are getting paid as techs and are willing to learn?

Thanks!  :)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2010, 11:46 »

Welcome to Nukeworker and thank you for your service to our country.

Please don't let people that think the sun revolves around them drive you away from the forum just because they feel superior and have to express it. Apparently someone that at least should know thinks you have enough of a background to be hired as an I&C Tech in a nuclear plant, so you are one. It doesn't matter that some others might think 20+ years is the minimum requirement for an entry level position, you will be doing the job. It will require some adjustments and there may be an initial bit of intimidation by the sheer magnitude of things, but anyone that comes from the Navy has to adjust. Even the ones that did it 25+ years ago. Just as in the Navy there will be people that are very good at their jobs and those that just think they are, so if you can tell them apart and get your advice from the former, you will probably do fine.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

longbow55

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2010, 12:17 »
Just learn to ignore the crusty angry oldies, you will meet plenty of them. These are the nuclear worlds worst workers and an RP's nightmare. Follow your procedures, ask a lot of questions, follow safety, and read all you can. Do something others find difficult, be humble. I am sure you will be fine. We all started somewhere and were helped out by somebody along the way. Welcome.

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2010, 01:34 »
I never said he wasn't going to be an I+C Tech in the future. Fact is, right now he's not. He's a NUB.

navy_hower

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2010, 04:53 »
Thanks all for all of the advice.  I totally understand where IRL was coming from.  Im not a tech yet.  I will be.  LOL  Oh man,  Back to NUB status.  Thats ok.  Il be an obedient little NUB.  Thanks for all the advice folks, and the comments.  Im not being shunned away.  Im not scared of a post.  I was just curious, asked a question, and  I got a truthful reponse from a super qualified technician.  And from what you guys all said it gives me a better idea of what to expect when I start working.  Thanks again all.

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:17 »
Im sure its totally different than the navy.  Huge shock though??   Good or bad???  It cant be all bad if you've been doing it for 25 years.

Things will be done entirely differently than you are used to.  The equipment will be nothing like you are used to, the work you do will bear little semblance to what you do now.

The consequences of an error are much different.  I've yet to see a commercial power plant do a fast scram recovery after some tech left a switch in the wrong position, or turned the wrong valve.  (Luckily I've never been the one to take a plant down, but tomorrow's another day and there is always the possibility.)

You will probably spend at least a year and maybe two in training.  Pay attention and you'll learn a great deal, but it won't be enough.  No amount of classroom training will substitute for actual hands on experience.  When you do get the chance to do some maintenance, no matter how trivial you think it is, take it.  You'll be watched closely by the experienced techs, DON"T take it personally.  Their job is to make sure you learn to do the job the right way, without injuring someone or making it quiet in the turbine building.

All bad?  Certainly not.  This job is at times interesting, at other times mind numbingly boring.  It isn't really all that difficult if you have any aptitude at all for it.  If you don't you'll never be happy.  If you are planning on going from the Navy to a maintenance position rather than an operations position, it is likely you have some level of aptitude.

Above all, DO NOT hesitate to ask questions.  Don't think that you know how something is supposed to go, because "that's the way we did it on the boat".
No one is going to make fun of you if you ask a silly question.  OK, they (we) probably will, but that's still a lot better than someone saying “hey did ya hear what Joe Blow did yesterday?"

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:28 »
???

How are we going to replace all the guys retiring if we don't hire some new techs?

Good question.  If there are no further questions, class is dismissed.

Obviously many many new techs are needed, and must be hired sooner rather than later.  But that doesn't mean we should hire just anyone that passes an aptitude test.  Believe me I've seen the results of that policy.  My first choice of new hire, someone with previous commercial nuclear I&C experience.  Second choice, ex Navy nuclear.  Third choice, previous commercial utility experience.  Absolute last choice, hiring from an airline.  Judging from my own personal experience, I'm afraid to fly anymore.

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:37 »
Welcome to Nukeworker and thank you for your service to our country.

Please don't let people that think the sun revolves around them drive you away from the forum just because they feel superior and have to express it. Apparently someone that at least should know thinks you have enough of a background to be hired as an I&C Tech in a nuclear plant, so you are one. It doesn't matter that some others might think 20+ years is the minimum requirement for an entry level position, you will be doing the job. It will require some adjustments and there may be an initial bit of intimidation by the sheer magnitude of things, but anyone that comes from the Navy has to adjust. Even the ones that did it 25+ years ago. Just as in the Navy there will be people that are very good at their jobs and those that just think they are, so if you can tell them apart and get your advice from the former, you will probably do fine.

I know the sun doesn't revolve around me, it would be too long a trip.  And I don't believe that I tried to drive anyone away.  I DID offer to answer any questions did I not?

Some one who should know thought that the doofus who stated "procedures are highly overrated" in front of the NRC while in the process of blatantly violating that procedure was qualified to be an I&C tech also.  NOT that I think the original poster is a doofus, that's just an example.  The doofus in question is no longer a nuclear worker.  Unfortunately the one who decided that he, with his three years of experience, didn't need any body to verify his work and proceeded to lift and land leads by himself is.  And someone who should know thought that he was qualified also.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010, 07:28 by IRLFAN »

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:39 »

Mike

Thanks Mike, I try.  In fact some say I'm very trying.  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?