Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Working outside the Navy as a SRO  

Author Topic: Working outside the Navy as a SRO  (Read 6595 times)

caleb133

Working outside the Navy as a SRO
« on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:19 »
Background:
                 8 years, ET, SPU, Subs, EWS/EDPO, RO/SRO, LPO, no finished degree

From friends and the reviews on here I feel that a nuclear career may be too close to what I hate now.  I have heard specifically the plant in VA is like prototype all over again(although it is 45 miles from the biggest naval base in the world)  I am a very typical nuc, bitter, disenchanted, asshole.  Anyways I do not like doing what I do now specifically standing watch in the box, and I do not like working in the environment with the mentality that is common in the nuc world.  Does anyone have any insight?  I am not a money whore but I do like getting paid.  If you have a similar background or know someone like me I would love to hear your advise/thoughts.  Also I have no interest in BMO/AO whatever entry level workers are called in your plant.  What are my chances of landing a SRO position? and what is the best way to find these?  I have visited the energy career sites(duke, progress etc.) but have not seen many job openings.  Any and all info is appreciated.

Fermi2

Re: Working outside the Navy as a SRO
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:50 »
With your attitude you'd never get hired. If you hate being in the box why do you want a job that requires you to be in the box for 12 hours at a shot, and you have 4676587678 times the responsibility and 2456787658987678987898 times the amount of the limited knowledge you have about how a nuclear plant works?

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:19 »
Background:
                 8 years, ET, SPU, Subs, EWS/EDPO, RO/SRO, LPO, no finished degree

From friends and the reviews on here I feel that a nuclear career may be too close to what I hate now.  I have heard specifically the plant in VA is like prototype all over again(although it is 45 miles from the biggest naval base in the world)  I am a very typical nuc, bitter, disenchanted, asshole.  Anyways I do not like doing what I do now specifically standing watch in the box, and I do not like working in the environment with the mentality that is common in the nuc world.  Does anyone have any insight?  I am not a money whore but I do like getting paid.  If you have a similar background or know someone like me I would love to hear your advise/thoughts.  Also I have no interest in BMO/AO whatever entry level workers are called in your plant.  What are my chances of landing a SRO position? and what is the best way to find these?  I have visited the energy career sites(duke, progress etc.) but have not seen many job openings.  Any and all info is appreciated.
Based on your statements, would you hire yourself? 

I am a nub in the civilian field.  Briefly: the knowledge requirements/expectations are much higher; you're expected to learn on your own (i.e. don't expect everything on the exam to be covered in class), the plant is much more complicated than a submarine plant, many AUOs (BMO/AO) are smarter than most RO/EOOW/EWS you know; if you get hired the plant will not be wowed by your previous experience.

WRT finding the job, most utilities have a website where you can post your resume.  This site also has postings.  Good Luck.

P.S. Not everybody hated being a navy nuke, so don't say you're typical. 
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:21 »
Based on what you told us above, you aren't going to like the dayshift cubefarm end of the utility industry either. I'd suggest you try to get with one of the technical services contractors out there. I have also met some intense genius yet antisocial type ex-Nukes in the gas pipeline industry, where the intellect allowed for some serious corporate ladder climbing.

Ok, that was the good news. The bad news is, you spent your efforts telling us what you don't want and what vegetables you won't eat. If you want a helpful answer, tell us where you excel and what you bring to the table.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:30 »
I am just curious as to why you think you are qualified for anything more than entry level?

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

caleb133

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:41 »
This will be my last post because it is obvious that this was useless.  Number one I know BMO's and I know SRO's nothing against either job but I am just as qualified for both based on their background and mine.  I was not looking for some obnoxious info about how cool you think you are in you job just some info on what the job is actually like.  Two, most people who get out(prior to retirement) and about half of the retiree's do dislike their job so if you do not think so you are out of touch.  Would I hire myself?  If I want a job then I will through myself into it just like I did when I joined the Navy.  My efforts allowed me to achieve outstanding grades and qualifying very early for ever watchstation I attempted.  I can understand that Civ nuc training is much more rigorous and challenging than the enlisted pipeline.  I was not saying your job is easy and easily obtained but an aux operator is not a step up and I want to move forward not regress or stand still.  I already stated I have friends that are qualified SRO and have been told how hard they worked.  And no I don't care what a few db's have to say on a blog on the internet, OMG my life is ruined someone was so mean to me I might cry.  Really you think that would phase me?  Its not about humbling myself for a job its about being treated with respect, and if that is not what the Civ nuc field is about then I my ideas about the industry are true no further research necessary.  

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:44 »
I am glad its your last post, you clearly take yourself too seriously and therefore don't fit in here or in this industry. Your best bet is to continue to solicit advice from the "friends" you mention. In fact, I am not sure why you even came here since you apparently have all the resources you need.

Good luck!

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:48 »
LOL dude, uh AO/NLO is a step up for you, in fact it's about 3 steps above what you're qualified to do now. Your outstanding grades are the equivalent to getting an "A+" in finger painting on your pre school final. We're that much farther than you on the academic scale.

You ought to have your "friends" help you.

Mike

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:53 »
This will be my last post because it is obvious that this was useless.

Nice attempt at a stealth nick change, Caleb.

Epic Fail.

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:38 »
This will be my last post because it is obvious that this was useless.  Number one I know BMO's and I know SRO's nothing against either job but I am just as qualified for both based on their background and mine.  I was not looking for some obnoxious info about how cool you think you are in you job just some info on what the job is actually like.  Two, most people who get out(prior to retirement) and about half of the retiree's do dislike their job so if you do not think so you are out of touch.  Would I hire myself?  If I want a job then I will through myself into it just like I did when I joined the Navy.  My efforts allowed me to achieve outstanding grades and qualifying very early for ever watchstation I attempted.  I can understand that Civ nuc training is much more rigorous and challenging than the enlisted pipeline.  I was not saying your job is easy and easily obtained but an aux operator is not a step up and I want to move forward not regress or stand still.  I already stated I have friends that are qualified SRO and have been told how hard they worked.  And no I don't care what a few db's have to say on a blog on the internet, OMG my life is ruined someone was so mean to me I might cry.  Really you think that would phase me?  Its not about humbling myself for a job its about being treated with respect, and if that is not what the Civ nuc field is about then I my ideas about the industry are true no further research necessary.  
1. Nowhere near as qualified as you haven't done it yet.
2. Did you mean through, threw or throw (we're not english majors but logs are open to judges interpretation)
3.You may know "BMO's and SRO's" but you haven't been one. Don't assume that if you have the same background you can be one. Best of luck in your world
4. If a blog is so useless, quit using it.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2010, 11:44 by x633ro »

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:48 »
This will be my last post because it is obvious that this was useless.  Number one I know BMO's and I know SRO's nothing against either job but I am just as qualified for both based on their background and mine.

No, you are not

I was not looking for some obnoxious info about how cool you think you are in you job just some info on what the job is actually like.

Obviously not.  You are obnoxious enough by yourself.  And just what does "you are in you job" mean?  Or are you just having trouble with your ESL lessons?

Would I hire myself?  If I want a job then I will through myself into it just like I did when I joined the Navy.  My efforts allowed me to achieve outstanding grades and qualifying very early for ever watchstation I attempted.

Really, try harder on the ESL lessons. 

I can understand that Civ nuc training is much more rigorous and challenging than the enlisted pipeline.

You don't have the first hint of a clue.

I was not saying your job is easy and easily obtained but an aux operator is not a step up and I want to move forward not regress or stand still.  I already stated I have friends that are qualified SRO and have been told how hard they worked.  And no I don't care what a few db's have to say on a blog on the internet, OMG my life is ruined someone was so mean to me I might cry.  Really you think that would phase me?  Its not about humbling myself for a job its about being treated with respect, and if that is not what the Civ nuc field is about then I my ideas about the industry are true no further research necessary.  

It's not my job.  I don't want to be an SRO.  Sitting in a control room for 12 hours at a time doing the same thing every day, while working rotating shifts is not my idea of a good way to spend my time.  I much prefer maintenance.

A non licensed operator position is definitely not a step up for such a studly being such as you.  Would you be interested in a site vice presidency?  Perhaps not prestigious enough.  How about Lord High God of the universes?  I'm sure you feel qualified for that
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

nrlien

« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2010, 07:22 »
If you hate what you are doing now, don't bother coming to the commercial side. If you hate getting paid crap for what you do, but don't mind the work, that's a different story.

As an SRO, you would still be in a 'box', but they tend to be quite a bit bigger.

From what I've seen, it's analogous to say that an SRO is like a Navy Watch Officer + Division Officer combined. Plenty of watch related things to keep you busy, and plenty of admin stuff to make you even more busy. However, the pay makes a navy lieutentant's look laughable.

Being an EWS would help you, but I recommend to just about anyone getting out of the navy and going commercial is to get some plant experience as an NLO (or EO, whatever you want to call it). Not saying you can't make it straight as an SRO, but you'll be killing yourself every week to get ready for the exams.

On top of it all, you might hate the SRO lifestyle, and you'd have wasted a lot of your effort and time.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?