Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu AAS in Nuclear Power Technology...Where to start  

Author Topic: AAS in Nuclear Power Technology...Where to start  (Read 10089 times)

dan2fee

AAS in Nuclear Power Technology...Where to start
« on: Feb 14, 2010, 05:23 »
I was recently working as Plant Mechanic for a Bershire-Hathaway subsidiary. I was laid off and I am now going to try to pursue a AAS in Nuclear Power Technology degree from Bismarck State College. I was wondering what type of entry level job can I expect in the nuclear field and where I could possibly start. This degree program states I can get a job as a NLO, HP, Chem, and Maintenance. Any pointers, tips, and advice is greatly appreciated.

Fermi2

Re: AAS in Nuclear Power Technology...Where to start
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2010, 09:05 »
Wow, you're SOL I guess. Inability to utilize the search function makes you unemployable.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:12 »
I was recently working as Plant Mechanic for a Bershire-Hathaway subsidiary. I was laid off and I am now going to try to pursue a AAS in Nuclear Power Technology degree from Bismarck State College. I was wondering what type of entry level job can I expect in the nuclear field and where I could possibly start. This degree program states I can get a job as a NLO, HP, Chem, and Maintenance. Any pointers, tips, and advice is greatly appreciated.

http://www.bismarckstate.edu/energy/students/nupt/

"BSC's Nuclear Power Technology program is supported by the following EPCE member utilities:

Ameren
American Power Dispatchers Association (APDA)
American Public Power Association (APPA)
Arizona Public Service Company
(APS) - including the Palo Verde
Nuclear Generating Station
Constellation Energy Group
DC Cook Nuclear (AEP)
Dominion Nuclear Business Unit
Duke Power
Entergy
Exelon (ComEd and PECO)
Florida Power & Light
IBEW Local 2304
JEA
Minnesota Power
National Grid
National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA)
Northeast Utilities (NU)
Northwest Public Power
Association (NWPPA)
Oklahoma Gas & Electric (OG&E)
Pike Electric, Inc.
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
PJM Interconnections
Sierra Pacific Resources (Nevada Power and Sierra Pacific Power)
Southern Company
South Texas Project Nuclear
Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA)
Xcel Energy
Numerous IBEW Locals, including those affiliated with the above employers. "

I got the above list off Bismarck's website, so hard to tell where they have actually placed graduates.  I'd talk to your advisor about what plants they have alumnae working at...and what their job placement rate is.  As far as job types, sounds like they are giving you good info on what is available...do you have to decide now where to focus?   I'd keep my options open as long as possible - maybe you will see an area that you find especially interesting.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 11:15 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:41 »
Wow, you're SOL I guess. Inability to utilize the search function makes you unemployable.

Part of the problem, or part of the solution?

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2010, 03:59 by Rennhack »

dan2fee

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:18 »
Maybe I should clarify my question: What type of pay is to be expected among the HP, Chem, and NLO positions and what type of hours will be worked? Is it anyway I could get a position while still in school for this?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:29 »
Maybe I should clarify my question: What type of pay is to be expected among the HP, Chem, and NLO positions and what type of hours will be worked? Is it anyway I could get a position while still in school for this?

They all pay about the same, but you will be on rotating shift if you go operations...you might work less rotating shift in HP, chemistry, or maintenance...it all just depends on what site(s) you are interested in...

I see Bismarck is an on-line program...are you physically near a nuclear site?  If so, you could check out that site's internship programs...that would be the easiest option for getting a foot in while in school.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 04:33 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:46 »

Pay will naturally vary by area.  Pay will be in the low to mid $20/hr to start and move up from there based on qualifications being completed after hiring.  One thing to remember is that the schooling is just beginning AFTER you complete the degree.  The technical and mechanical disciplines have qualifications to complete & maintain to be able to work on & at a nuclear plant.  There are also pay raises tied to those qualifications.  You'll top out in the low to upper $30/hr range upon completing those qualifications. 

If you're looking for a challenge that can pay off financially & personally while also providing some of your greatest frustrations you'll definitely find it in this industry.  Don't hesitate to PM any questions you might also have.

Best of luck,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

dan2fee

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:49 »

They all pay about the same, but you will be on rotating shift if you go operations...you might work less rotating shift in HP, chemistry, or maintenance...it all just depends on what site(s) you are interested in...

I see Bismarck is an on-line program...are you physically near a nuclear site?  If so, you could check out that site's internship programs...that would be the easiest option for getting a foot in while in school.

I am in Aiken, SC. I am near SRS (now SRNS) and not too far from Plant Vogtle.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2010, 05:03 »

I am in Aiken, SC. I am near SRS (now SRNS) and not too far from Plant Vogtle.

You might see who is hiring RCTs down at SRS now...several of the DOE sites are having a hard time staffing & will find excuses to bring in nearly any warm body.  You could get in touch with one of the recruiters that post here & ask whether being in Bismarck's program makes you employable...I'm guessing they will tell you that you need to complete the program, but it's worth a call, or two...

dan2fee

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2010, 05:10 »
Pay will naturally vary by area.  Pay will be in the low to mid $20/hr to start and move up from there based on qualifications being completed after hiring.  One thing to remember is that the schooling is just beginning AFTER you complete the degree.  The technical and mechanical disciplines have qualifications to complete & maintain to be able to work on & at a nuclear plant.  There are also pay raises tied to those qualifications.  You'll top out in the low to upper $30/hr range upon completing those qualifications. 

If you're looking for a challenge that can pay off financially & personally while also providing some of your greatest frustrations you'll definitely find it in this industry.  Don't hesitate to PM any questions you might also have.

Best of luck,
Tom

Thanks for all the insight. I will definately PM you if I have any questions.

dan2fee

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2010, 05:21 »
You might see who is hiring RCTs down at SRS now...several of the DOE sites are having a hard time staffing & will find excuses to bring in nearly any warm body.  You could get in touch with one of the recruiters that post here & ask whether being in Bismarck's program makes you employable...I'm guessing they will tell you that you need to complete the program, but it's worth a call, or two...

I have a mechanical background and learn quickly so that, I hope, is an advantage of some sort. I am brand-new to this site. Where would I look fo those recruiters. I have contacted a few staffing companies around the area who are a part of the Recovery Act and they are looking for engineers specifically.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:07 »
I have a mechanical background and learn quickly so that, I hope, is an advantage of some sort. I am brand-new to this site. Where would I look fo those recruiters. I have contacted a few staffing companies around the area who are a part of the Recovery Act and they are looking for engineers specifically.

http://www.nukeworker.com/job/jobfind.php?action=search&auth_sess=137d0b515da1a2412a617a3122b2d735&ref=219532133c02a71d3715f837d&jids%5B%5D=00&lids%5B%5D=503&kwd=&cmdSearch=++Search++

I'd also dig thru these old threads, if I were you...I vaguely recall a conversation about one of the SRS RCT contractors being worse than the others...

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,181.0.html
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 06:14 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:18 »

Also, I was thinking commercial plants when I wrote that operations is all rotating shiftwork...I don't know about SRS, but the last DOE operator job I had was straight days, so...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?