Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Direct SRO CandiDate Question honeypot

Author Topic: Direct SRO CandiDate Question  (Read 12029 times)

Offline TJF

• Very Lite User
Direct SRO CandiDate Question
« on: Feb 19, 2010, 04:55 »
Hello everyone, I have a question about direct SRO programs.  I have no background in commercial nuclear power and am considering a direct SRO candidate position.  

1.  I am assuming that the 6 months on site prior to starting the licensing class are spent in one of the sections learning about the plant.  Is this correct?

2.  Once the licensing class starts, are the candidates attached to a section the whole time?  I think so, but just wondering if there are some classroom type portions of the training.

I am especially interested in how TVA does it, but insight on how other places do it would be great too.

(If it matters, I am a retired Navy nuke, 6 years as an Electronics Technician and 14 years as an O-ganger considering an offer at Browns Ferry.)

Thanks,
T.J.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2010, 07:52 by TJF »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Direct SRO Candiate Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2010, 05:17 »
T.J.,

Here are a few threads that discuss the SRO & Direct SRO routes:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=10736.0

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=10775.0

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=9140.0

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=7858.0

I've sent you a PM with a couple of very knowledgeable folks in regards to TVA. 

Best of luck & Thank You for your service,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

adrianI

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2010, 05:37 »
Hello everyone, I have a question about direct SRO programs.  I have no background in commercial nuclear power and am considering a direct SRO candidate position. 

1.  I am assuming that the 6 months on site prior to starting the licensing class are spent in one of the sections learning about the plant.  Is this correct?

2.  Once the licensing class starts, are the candidates attached to a section the whole time?  I think so, but just wondering if there are some classroom type portions of the training.

I am especially interested in how TVA does it, but insight on how other places do it would be great too.

(If it matters, I am a retired Navy nuke, 6 years as an Electronics Technician and 14 years as an O-ganger considering an offer at Browns Ferry.)

Thanks,
T.J.

1. Yes, at least for my plant but others may be different.

2. No, it is mostly classroom and simulator training with a few months of in plant time spent on OJT/TPE as you get the required number of hours for your license.

- I'm not sure how TVA does it.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2010, 06:09 »
Hello everyone, I have a question about direct SRO programs.  I have no background in commercial nuclear power and am considering a direct SRO candidate position. 

1.  I am assuming that the 6 months on site prior to starting the licensing class are spent in one of the sections learning about the plant.  Is this correct?

2.  Once the licensing class starts, are the candidates attached to a section the whole time?  I think so, but just wondering if there are some classroom type portions of the training.

Thanks,
T.J.

1: Depends on the plant. Sequoyah now assigns the individual to an Operating group for the entire 6 to 18 months. Odds are it won't just be 6.

2: Yes the same group you do your pre class time will also be the same group you are administratively assigned to for your class. You might not stay on that group after you get your license.

If you're wondering if there are classroom portions you might not be ready for the Big Leagues. Our classroom is about 5678765678987098789 times harder than any classroom you've ever attended.

Mike

Offline TJF

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2010, 06:42 »
Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll have to study about 5678765678987098790 times harder than I ever have then.

So during the classroom phase is schedule straight days or do you still follow the rotating shifts?  That's more what I meant to ask.

T.J.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:06 »
The typical class breakdown is like this;

6ish months in classroom, learning general fundamentals followed by systems. General fundamentals includes things like reactor physics/theory, thermodynamics, and equipment like pumps/valves/tanks. Systems is detailed training on your plants systems. You will have exams roughly weekly during this time, with milestone exams after each phase (general fundamentals and systems). During the systems phase, you may get to go to the simulator a bit to touch the systems you are studying. Also, there may be money tied to your milestone exams in the form of bonuses. Of course, to continue in the program, you have to pass the milestone exams. As for schedule, at my plant, the classroom phase was straight days. Some work another shift to use the simulator, but its all a straight shift, not rotating.

After your systems phase, you then start simulator training and on the job training. You have to have roughly 520 hours on shift in order to get a license. So you time is split between simulator training and actually being on shift with crew. Now, for us, we made our own shift schedule. As long as at the end we had our 520 hours, they didn't care how we got it. So, I was with a different crew every time. This was good because I got to spend time with each of them, and got many different perspectives on things. While in OJT, you will have some sort of qual book with sigs to get, you are no stranger to this. You are also required to get 5 reactivity manipulations on a real reactor for the NRC. This phase last roughly 9 months. In the simulator, they will start you out slow with T ball league scenarios, building until you are able to pass a big league NRC exam. During this phase, you will be examined periodically to ensure you are still studying and learning as you go. You will also have a "certification" exam a few weeks before the actual NRC exam. This is an NRC level exam to week out the non hackers. If you don't pass the cert, the station will not allow you to take the NRC exam.

And in case you are curious, an NRC exam consists of a 100 question multiple choice written exam, 15 job performance measures (JPMs) which consist of admin tasks and operating tasks (ie putting systems into and out of service), and of course the simulator performance exam. As an SRO, you will be examined as a control room supervisor and one of the RO positions, at a minimum. If you would like to see what the general fundamentals exam, and the NRC final exam look like, you can find past exams on the NRC website. Do not be fooled into thinking that just because it is a multiple choice exam, that it is easy. Its not.

I hope this helps!

Good luck and let me know if you need help finding things on the NRC website, it can be hard to navigate.
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2010, 07:16 by JustinHEMI »

Offline TJF

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:29 »
Thanks Justin.

I've already looked at some of the general fundamental exam questions - there was a link posted in another thread.  Haven't looked at the final exam yet - at this point that seems a little like putting the cart before the horse.

I am just trying to weigh my options at this point and try as best as I can to understand more of what I'd be getting in to. 

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:39 »
It depends.

During the Theory phase you'll either be on 4 - 10s M-Th, or 5 - 8s.
Systems, usually the same schedule as above.
When you get into Abnormal and Emergency Procedures you'll be usually on 4-10s probably on back shift as half your day is spent doing drills in the simulator and half in the classroom. Requal has priority for day shift.  At SQN the AOP and EOP trainees are on a Th-Sunday Schedule.
For roughly 15 weeks you'll be rotating with a shift.

BWRs have far less EOPs than PWR's do so odds are your EOP phase will be a couple weeks shorter.

Mike

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2010, 10:28 »
Not that I am looking now, would going through a 2nd License Class at a different plant be easier than the first?  :D

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2010, 10:32 »
Not that I am looking now, would going through a 2nd License Class at a different plant be easier than the first?  :D

Yes, by a long shot.

Offline shipoffools

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:24 »
No censure for the O.P.??? (see Subject Line - "Candiate")  Some of you are either off your game(s) or getting all soft, warm and fuzzy in your old age!  A good scolding is far more entertaining that all that helpful info!  ;)   

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:39 »
Ah, I figured that was a typo.

Offline TJF

• Very Lite User
Re: Direct SRO Candidate Question
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2010, 10:22 »
I was trying to keep my options opens in case things don't work out...maybe I could put the letters on the sign at Arby's. ;)

mark.phillips

Re: Direct SRO CandiDate Question
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2010, 03:25 »
whats up TJ...funny I should see you here...hear anything about Southern?  I applied for an instructor position but havent heard anything. 

M1Ark

« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2010, 11:42 »

Yes and no.  Yes in that you will know the higher level knowledge cold.  No in that you will never know the plant as well as the guy that come through the ranks. I've been successful in doing what you ask but it seems to be just as hard but for different reasons.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?