Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Second thoughts about the nuke program

Poll

What are the best Mathmatically oriented jobs in the Navy?

Nuke
1 (12.5%)
Other
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Second thoughts about the nuke program  (Read 16364 times)

tonyfedei

Second thoughts about the nuke program
« on: Feb 23, 2010, 04:42 »
I'm off to take my ASVAB and MEPS this coming Monday and am having second thoughts about the nuke program. I still want to enlist in the Navy even if it's not as a NUKE. I love math and science but I'm not exactly mechanically oriented, although I'm sure i could learn. The military websites have such vague job descriptions I was hoping some people on this site could help with some ideas as to what i might like doing in the Navy.

Fermi2

Re: Second thoughts about the nuke program
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:07 »
Sigh :(

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:13 »
Can't say what you would like, only you can do that, however to help you make up your mind look here:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,12184.0.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,14609.0.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,1890.0.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,16109.0.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,16466.0.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10692.0.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,3821.0.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,3676.0.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4089.25.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,1737.0.HTML

Now, as to whether Nuke or not, consider pro's and con's (these are personal, your mileage may differ)
Pro:
relatively rapid advancement compared to peers
eligible for bonuses
advanced training that equates to more college credits
more challenges (remember, relative)
generally get to work with some really good, intelligent, responsible people (again, relative)

Con:
REALLY long work hours
fewer "good deals"
still being at work performing shore power/shutdown as everyone else leaves the ship (and being in early for startups)
more shiftwork than usual
more challenges

Both lists go on ad nauseum, and I'm sure others will add their personal tidbits.  What it really comes down to is, do you feel up to the challenge of putting 100% into something for over six years in order to get some good training, some practical real world experience, and a chance to accomplish something useful with your life while still serving your country?  
Even if this is not the only path to do all of those things, it is the one that a great deal of good men (and women) have taken, and some of them have done really great things with their lives.  So Tony, think long and hard, make a decision, and commit to it 100%, whatever it may be, and you should do just fine.
Thanks for your service, welcome to Nukeworker, have nice Day
Peace Out -Matt
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:14 »
If you like math and science but not mechanically inclined, I'd suggest OS , STS, RM or MT.

I saw all of those rates do well on my ship

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:26 »
I've seen some of the least mechanically inclined people I've ever known become Mechanics.

I was a prototype instructor with another MM2. He always rode a motorcycle to work. One day my former Sea Dad and I were driving home from A1W. We come upon Steve about 50 miles from the site. He's pushing his motorcycle. We pulled over to see if we could assist him and we found out he had run out of gas. He then revealed he knew he didn't have a lot of gas left when he road to work that morning but he figured if he road home real fast he'd make it quicker so he wouldn't run out of gas. I started laughing and stated well ya know when you double your speed your fuel consumption goes up roughly 8 times or so. He took me aside when we stopped at the gas station and said " Bru I didn't want to embarrass you in front of your former Sea Dad and best friend, but that power consumption thing only applies in Pump Laws"

Yep, lot's of Mechanically inclined MM's out there.

co60slr

« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:36 »
I've seen some of the least mechanically inclined people I've ever known become Mechanics.

I was a prototype instructor with another MM2. He always rode a motorcycle to work. One day my former Sea Dad and I were driving home from A1W. We come upon Steve about 50 miles from the site. He's pushing his motorcycle. We pulled over to see if we could assist him and we found out he had run out of gas. He then revealed he knew he didn't have a lot of gas left when he road to work that morning but he figured if he road home real fast he'd make it quicker so he wouldn't run out of gas. I started laughing and stated well ya know when you double your speed your fuel consumption goes up roughly 8 times or so. He took me aside when we stopped at the gas station and said " Bru I didn't want to embarrass you in front of your former Sea Dad and best friend, but that power consumption thing only applies in Pump Laws"
Sounds like a great "ice breaker" for teaching GFES pump laws.  Are you practicing on us?  :-)

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:53 »
LOL I'd LOVE to teach GFES!

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:11 »
I started laughing and stated well ya know when you double your speed your fuel consumption goes up roughly 8 times or so.

Not true for internal combustion engines.  Carbureted engines require a a set fuel/air ratio for optimum performance. If your running anything less than optimum air intake you're wasting fuel. Given the time frame of A1W, the bike was carbureted.  So the guy was right to a point.

I'm sure I will feel the wrath of Broadzilla but so be it. ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:15 »
Not true. The rules of power consumption are finite. They are independent of the type of engine. To go from one speed to another speed will always follow the Laws Of Physics regardless of the engine or prime mover.

Mike

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:29 »
Not true. The rules of power consumption are finite. They are independent of the type of engine. To go from one speed to another speed will always follow the Laws Of Physics regardless of the engine or prime mover.

Mike
Gotta agree with Mike on this one. Don't know if it is 8 times as much but agree with his premise.  ;D
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:34 »
Agreed, but the heat input comes from more that just fuel. Its the air combining with the fuel plus energy input that creates the power.  The only way to get more air flow is to increase speed. This increase in air flow increases the mass entering the cylinder. More mass = more moles of air = more combustion for a given amount of fuel = more heat input. Neglecting ambient losses and friction, this heat in is converted into work out by the cylinder.  At the right fuel to air ratio you get more power.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 08:35 by still_in »

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:34 »
Thank you, I bet if you do the math you'll find out it's around 8 times as much. The Pump Laws are derived from the laws of physics, they aren't simply laws invented to explain pump behaviour. They apply to any use of energy over a time period. One thing I love to do, is after my wife's car gets over 25 to 30 mph, is to predict the reading on her digital mileage remaining gauge after she raises speed. I'm always nearly dead on. Given the laws of energy consumption were first measured empiracally after the advent of reciprocating engines I'm pretty sure that apply to an internal compustion engine. After all they apply in Diesels. And the last I checked my wife's Saturn uses an internal combustion engine, not a turbine or pump :)

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:37 »
BS, all that does is allow the engine to use fuel more efficiently. I WILL submit a properly tuned Engine will burn LESS fuel at a given speed however any fuel used in a poorly tuned engine will be in ADDITION to that used in doubling the speed. It can never be less. You just proved you don't know what efficiency is. Or the proper use of energy laws.

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:51 »
I was simply showing that fuel consumption does not in fact increase by "8 times or so."  I do know how to use efficiency equations and energy laws, maybe not as well as you, but I do none the less. I did also study a cubic butt ton of IC engine analysis though.  
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010, 09:35 by still_in »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2010, 08:06 »
One thing I love to do, is after my wife's car gets over 25 to 30 mph, is to predict the reading on her digital mileage remaining gauge after she raises speed. I'm always nearly dead on.

I'll bet the part that is unnerving is when BZ barks " new course and speed, 10 degrees left rudder, ahead standard..." ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2010, 09:41 »
I was simply showing that fuel consumption does not in fact increase by "8 times or so."  I do know how to use efficiency equations and energy laws, maybe not as well as you, but I do none the less. I did also study a cubic butt ton of IC engine analysis though.  

It will always go up nearly 8 times minimum. All you did was prove you don't have a very good understanding of the subject.

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2010, 09:42 »
I'll bet the part that is unnerving is when BZ barks " new course and speed, 10 degrees left rudder, ahead standard..." ;)

LMAO!

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:50 »
I am unclear if you are saying that fuel consumption is independent of the mass flow rate of air.

It will always go up nearly 8 times minimum. All you did was prove you don't have a very good understanding of the subject.

This has been your argument for the entire debate.  Your original quote states that fuel consumption will increase by a factor of 8 as speed doubles.

I started laughing and stated well ya know when you double your speed your fuel consumption goes up roughly 8 times or so.

Put all the fuel mass you want in a cylinder there will be no combustion with out O2 and a spark.  This means air, so power output of an IC engine depends on air flow to the engine.  Same reason why your car runs like garbage if you don't change the air filter when it is dirty.  Air flow controls power of the engine = more air flow means more power for a set amount of fuel = more power in a frictionless environment = more speed. So if this Mechanic hit an optimum speed for the set fuel to air ratio of the carburetor on the bike, there would be an equal amount of fuel and air for combustion. Any more air would be an excess which means fuel economy would go down because the air intake could not provide enough mass of air, given size restrictions for the bike. So adding more more air would do nothing for performance given a set fuel flow given  by the carburetor.

All you did was prove you don't have a very good understanding of the subject.

I think you don't have a very good understanding... just returning the same courtesy you have shown me.

number41

« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2010, 12:00 »
HA!!!! I love this place!  This post just proves that I must have chosen the right profession for more than a few reasons:

1.)  NUKES ARE NERDS!!!
2.)  We'll argue with anybody over anything no matter how trivial if we think we're right.
3.)  We'll gladly take the opportunity to blast anybody who offers an alternate point of view.

p.s.  Navy EOOW is way harder than SRO, I am an MM3 and am getting out in a couple of months and want to be the PGM at an Excelon Plant, I won't accept less than $500k/yr and which plants are hiring right now?

Stit, stir, stir the hornets nest.....

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2010, 12:19 »
Ok first of all, they are both right in certain aspects.  Allow me to explain....

Internal combustion engine works on simple principle of you mix gasoline(in mist form) and air into a cyclinder, compress said mixture, ignite, and you have an internal explosion that forces the piston down, thus making car go.  To produce more power, you have to increase the compression or increase the fuel/air mixture.  

This is how turbos, superchargers, and NOS work(Superchargers and Turbos force more air into the cylinder using pressure, NOS splits the Nitrogen and O2 at high temperatures, thus allowing more O2 in the cylinder).  They increase the amount of air in the cylinder during compression.  The air itself does not increase the power, but the increase in air allows you to increase the amount of fuel you can put into the cylinder.  Too much air and you get "lean", too much fuel and you are wasting fuel due to incomplete burnoff.  You adjust the fuel mixture on carbs by "tuning" them, whereas EFI automatically adjusts this using computers(this is the reason that your car will run crappy if you ever disconnect the battery for extended period of time, it resets the computer and it takes a while for the computer to 'rebalance' your engine system to get to to peak efficiency).

So BZ is correct in that it takes a heck of a lot more gas to drive at 70 than it does at 30.  Anyone who drives a car can figure that one out.  Assuming identical gear ratio of 1:1 in say 4th gear, the gas pedal is much further down at 70 mph than it is at 40 mph. It take more gas to produce more power, which is why you never run your A/C when the fuel light is on.  However, depending on how far the gas station was, he could have theoretically "coasted" easier at a higher speed than trying to coast in at 20 mph.  
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2010, 12:21 by Preciousblue1965 »
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:36 »

Fermi2

« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:56 »
No I am 100% correct in all respects. For any given power you HAVE to obtain a certain amount of BTUs. The BTU content of the fuel is fixed. For any given flow rate you need a certain amount of air. In an ideal system the mix is always perfect. The IDEAL , you double the speed you use 8 times the power, therefore 8 times the fuel. For any given engine design there's going to be a certain amount of fuel used. One the engine starts wearing, you need more fuel. Engines have to follow the laws of physics and thermodynamics. Take engine 1: At 30 MPH it's going to consume a certain amount of fuel. Take it to 60 MPH that amount goes up 8 times.

Now take engine 2: Give it a better compression ratio. I AGREE at 30 MPH it'll consume less fuel HOWEVER at 60 MPH it will consume 8 times the amount as at 30 MPH. It has to, that is unless you all have figured out a way to violate the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

number41

« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2010, 02:02 »
Maybe in his universe, friction doesn't exist?  Or, maybe friction is a linear phenomenon and the only reason it takes more (~8x) gas to double your speed is due solely to burn efficiency.  You know, if you drive an all elecric car, you don't have to worry about this to begin with...and it might result in Progress Energy raising the match percentage to my 401k.

Nuclear Renaissance

« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:08 »
You just proved you don't know what efficiency is.

One might suggest that you don't know what "efficiency" is, since you are spending (wasting?) all this time arguing on an internet forum about ideal laws when the guy was on a real motorcycle...

Offline bradley535

• Light User
  • My employer found me at NukeWorker.com
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:55 »
No I am 100% correct in all respects.

Bad news : You are 100% incorrect.

Good news : So is McLovin; so it's even.

I love the wonderful discussion of physics going on here, and on a level that I cannot even come close to repeating, at this stage of my learning. One glaring problem that even I can spot is that you are trying to apply heat engine laws to a combustion engine. Could one of you, please, try to explain how you came to the conclusion that BTU, or any other measure of heat energy, should be used in directly calculating the efficiency of a combustion engine. Heat generated is necessary only to excite the particles to cause expansion of gasses, after that the heat is undesired waste; thus the radiator was invented. Heat = bad in a combustion engine, and if they could figure out an efficient way to cause rapid expansion without the byproduct of heat, they would do so.

8x the amount of fuel to go 60mph vs. 30mph? Come on, does that pass the common sense check with you? Internal combustion engines have engineered efficiency graphs that show where they burn fuel in the most efficient speeds and gears. You can look these graphs up on-line or in any autoparts store, any car dealership, any... Well, point is, they are all over the place. Don't want to trust some crazy engineer who's dedicated his life to making those graphs, then run a few trial tests yourself. If what you said was true, then I could get over 200mpg out of my Subaru by dropping my speed to 30mph.

Now, before anyone goes off the handle and starts trying to tear this post apart, go out and check those graphs, take a deep breath, and realize that you are arguing from a point of view so theoretical that reality has no hold or lost your marbles.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?