Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Yet another Nuke getting out

Author Topic: Yet another Nuke getting out  (Read 6917 times)

Trinian23

Yet another Nuke getting out
« on: Jun 19, 2004, 01:44 »
    Hello all, What a great site! Just a quick question for you all. I am currently an EM1(SU) (Yes, I haven't qualified subs, got medivaced off the sub before I could finish quals, will get to that later) I am getting ready to be medically retired next month and I am going through the ever infamous job search that we all have to go through at some point in our life. My question is about the industry, the reason I am getting out is that I am being medically retired due to having Hodkin's Lymphoma (cancer). Now, I loved being a nuke. I was advanced to E-6 in under 4 years, SPU, etc... and was getting ready to take over being the LPO on the sub. Now that I am being medically retired, I would still like to work in the industry. You all know, and I know, that the chances of my cancer having been caused by the work are very small (for example, my lifetime exposure was 145 mrem, whereas my radiation treatment was 3.6 Gy which is LOTS more). Is it still possible to have a career in the industry after having had cancer, and if so, what are my options? I am a little "less" qualified as that I didn't get the chance to qualify EWS as I was only on the boat for about a month and a half? I qualified everything else at protoype though. Anyway, any input would be appreciated...thanks.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Yet another Nuke getting out
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2004, 11:27 »
You want advice? You got it.

1. Drop the (SU) designator. Nobody will ever think to ask if you qualified subs.

2. Talk to the VA. See if they consider this a disability of any sort. If they do consider this a disability, you could use this for hiring preference. They probably don't consider it a disability, so never mention it to HR (medical is different, and information given to medical is covered by privacy act requirements).

3. You will be asked why you want to work in commercial nuclear power, but you probably won't be asked why you got out of the Navy. (I always put reason for leaving previous employer "discharge" after the Navy block. It's none of their business if I was kicked out for being fat.........) Getting out of the Navy at the end of the first enlistment (approximately) isn't note-worthy.

4. You will be asked about your qualifications, but you won't be asked whether it was prototype or sub. When asked about EWS, just say you wanted to qualify, but didn't stay in.

5. There are many civilian nukeworkers who have cancer treatments. The only real requirement is to notify medical (and don't wear TLD during treatment!!!) This doesn't disqualify you. Do you now have cancer? That won't disqualify you either, but it could make things more difficult with medical clearances.

6. Keep your chin up. Life goes on, even after leaving the world's finest Navy. You just have to find your new challenge to sink you teeth into. Decide whether you are going to pursue OPS or maintenance, and start your search.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Trinian23

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2004, 12:13 »
Thanks,
Appreciate it. I am done with treatment now and everything is fine, just getting retired. I appreciate the advice.

s_Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2004, 12:08 »
What proto were you at and when?

Davis_K_H_74

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2004, 01:40 »
Hi! I am a nuke electrician with almost 10 years in including serving on two subs (one ssn and one ssbn) and a tour of shore duty. I too am being discharge from the Navy and am going through this rigorous job search too so I feel your pain. If you'd like maybe we could keep in touch and help each other out with job opportunities either of us come across. Are you looking for jobs in particular locations. I would prefer Washington or Texas but am open to other possibilities. So far this has been the best web site for nuclear jobs that I have found. I am getting out after my 3rd enlistment because the Navy says I am too fat. Hopefully this will not have an impact on my ability to get a civilian job. One of the biggest problems I am facing right now is that I am stationed in Hawaii and have no leave left to go back to the mainland for interviews. I wish you luck in your job search and hope we can be of help to each other.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:58 »
I am getting out after my 3rd enlistment because the Navy says I am too fat. Hopefully this will not have an impact on my ability to get a civilian job. One of the biggest problems I am facing right now is that I am stationed in Hawaii and have no leave left to go back to the mainland for interviews. I wish you luck in your job search and hope we can be of help to each other.

Since I was discharged due to failure to meet PFT standards, I can tell you from experience that no one else cares. The first time I mentioned it, they asked why the Navy would kick you out for being fat if you can fit down the hatch of a sub! I am sure you will work with commercial nukes that are over 100 pounds heavier and shorter than you in your first year out. This is a non-issue (unless you put it on paper for people that haven't met you, and they may assume you won't fit down the hatch of a sub!)

If they won't let you re-up, see if you meet the criteria for TAPS (Transition Assistance Program) or whatever they call it this year. Some of those programs provide job and house hunting periods which don't count as annual leave. It worked for me!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Trinian23

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:25 »
What proto were you at and when?

Are you looking for jobs in particular locations?

I was at S8G from 2001-2003 as a SPU in Section 2. MCCM Dille was my LCC for a large portionof that time and my SE was first LT. Tarsa, then someone I can't remember then Lt. Johnson. I found a job in the DC area that is non nuke related. I decided that it's best for me to find jobs in this area until more time has passed from me being declared in remission. I still am considering a career in the nuke industry and keep up with it via the ANS, but right now I gotta admit my job is pretty nice. Field Service is great. Some of you guys at Dominion Power probably worked with some of my coworkers not to long ago. Anyway, as they say here in DC, peace and nuke grease!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?