Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Security clearance questions.

Author Topic: Security clearance questions.  (Read 5759 times)

OregonNative

Security clearance questions.
« on: Mar 04, 2010, 02:42 »
I've got a quick question about the required clearances to work at a power plant. I'll be looking more in depth with the search function to save you guys a lot of time and headaches. So here is my quick question, (that I was unable to find while using the search function).

For the last 7-8 months, I've been in the Peoples Republic of China. Would this at all effect my ability to become qualified to work in a power plant in the United States, or Germany? I was not sure if this was considered a "security risk" or not. During this time in China, I was involved in nothing political, religious, ect.

This may be a stupid question, but I was looking into some of the military nuclear programs, and I was told that it may effect my ability to get the security clearance to be qualified for these programs. Maybe its completely different in the civilian world. I wanted to ask you guys, and see what you thought.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 02:48 by OregonNative »

RAD-GHOST

Re: Security clearance questions.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2010, 04:34 »
Hummmm  ::)

You’re in the post 911 World!  Since that date a multitude of lists have been created!  I'll go out on a limb and say that China is probably on at least one of those lists!  You've probably already heard the number one question, "WHY"?  If you were involuntarily relocated, (Parents moved there, military assignment, government assignment, etc.), that's a distracter.  If you went their voluntarily to submerge yourself in the culture, (A Communist Culture), that would probably be considered an agenda! 

You probably would have been better off spending your time in China…………………..Town, New York!

Just an opinion...RG… :D

OregonNative

« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2010, 05:10 »
Hummmm  ::)

You’re in the post 911 World!  Since that date a multitude of lists have been created!  I'll go out on a limb and say that China is probably on at least one of those lists!  You've probably already heard the number one question, "WHY"?  If you were involuntarily relocated, (Parents moved there, military assignment, government assignment, etc.), that's a distracter.  If you went their voluntarily to submerge yourself in the culture, (A Communist Culture), that would probably be considered an agenda! 

You probably would have been better off spending your time in China…………………..Town, New York!

Just an opinion...RG… :D

RG,
I appreciate the quick reply.

I personally chose to come to China on my own. I started college a bit early because I graduated high school at 16.I completed two years of college then, I took a little break for personal reasons and decided to come here for a little bit.

The irritating thing is, I talked to one of my recruiters and he said it was no problem. I just recently (as I prepare to return to the United States) was told it could be an issue. This came from the mouth of a family friend, and also another recruiter. I didn't figure China would be much of a security threat. I guess I was foolish and didn't think about the way the West views communism. I basically figured as long as I wasn't in the Middle East, it wouldn't be an issue. I should have asked more than one person I suppose.

I've got another question for you guys. If I decided to go back to school (to get nuke qualified), do you think the time I spent in China would still be an issue? I'm not sure how strict the security clearance is for the civilian nuclear workers, but I imagine any nuclear job (military/civilian) must have high security. I wonder if this is something (government/non government) nuclear companies worry about when hiring employees. I've always been a proud American, and even though I've done nothing wrong here, I suppose this could look bad.

Also... Believe me RG.. I'm kicking myself right now.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it.

co60slr

« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2010, 05:27 »
This may be a stupid question, but I was looking into some of the military nuclear programs, and I was told that it may effect my ability to get the security clearance to be qualified for these programs. Maybe its completely different in the civilian world. I wanted to ask you guys, and see what you thought.
Even once you obtain a clearance, it's possible to visit "sensitive countries".  For example, search "DOE foreign travel", and Office of Nuclear Nonproliferation "sensitive countries" and you'll find these types of documents:
http://www.emcbc.doe.gov/ORP/Documents/Attachment%201%20-%20List%20of%20Sensitive%20Countries.pdf

Meanwhile, I don't think "we" (Forum) can tell you if you'll be approved or denied.  However, I think the consensus will be that you'll have a more intense administrative journey than most.   I would have a VERY detailed/comprehensive document showing exactly what I did in China, where, why, etc.  Any Americans with you that are now back in the States?  Put them down as references.   

Good Luck.

OregonNative

« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:54 »
Even once you obtain a clearance, it's possible to visit "sensitive countries".  For example, search "DOE foreign travel", and Office of Nuclear Nonproliferation "sensitive countries" and you'll find these types of documents:
http://www.emcbc.doe.gov/ORP/Documents/Attachment%201%20-%20List%20of%20Sensitive%20Countries.pdf

Meanwhile, I don't think "we" (Forum) can tell you if you'll be approved or denied.  However, I think the consensus will be that you'll have a more intense administrative journey than most.   I would have a VERY detailed/comprehensive document showing exactly what I did in China, where, why, etc.  Any Americans with you that are now back in the States?  Put them down as references.  

Good Luck.

CO,
Thanks for the reply, and the link with the list of sensitive countries.

I really should have thought about the small details ahead of time. I didn't keep close contact with any Americans. I may be able to get one or two to be a reference for me. However none of them are back in the States now. They are still in China. I might also be able to get some documents from a couple of the people I worked for. However I did do some work under the table which will be unable to be documented.

Thank you for the advice. I'll try my best to detail my trip here in China. As stated before, I didn't do anything "criminal", or "political" here. No matter how hard they look they won't be able to find anything wrong, except for the fact that some of the time I spent here might not be able to be documented. I'll still try my best to document the entire time.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 07:56 by OregonNative »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?